Confirmed with Link: Lars Eller for two years

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I agree with the general sentiment that he’s overqualified as a 4C but at this stage underqualified as a 3C and probably slightly overpaid as a 4C too and with Acciari that seems to suggest they want him to be 3C. He’s probably a better option to be 3C than Granlund though, who is weak on faceoffs. So whatever.

This isn’t some backbreaker either way though. And he’s got playoff experience and PK ability and from what I recall with Colorado the wheels are still mostly there.
are they or are they not? some say totally off, can't skate for sheet anymore...anyways if he has smarts and can position himself and anticipate on forecheck while the wingers are buzzing, it may be OK. Lets wait and see, but boy we will be a 30s crew thats for sure

Reactions: Andy99

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Hate this deal. I don’t know where you play him with Acciari and Carter and I think he’s destined to be heavily overused as the 3C. Third line as it sits looks destined to be shelled. Hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
GqKy7cE.gif

Reactions: Zirakzigil

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I wish this was the only stinker of the weekend. It pales in comparison to the Jarry deal.

But, turning the attention here. What in the sam F is this one about as well?? 34 year old utterly washed depth player....for term AND money. You'd genuinely get Eller at his BEST from an AHL call up. This is a head scratcher, again.

So far I went from excited about Dubas to utterly sickened. Dude has made a couple awful signings here.

Can't wait to see Granlund Carter Eller in the bottom 6!!!! The Metro won't know what hit them.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Yeah this is the worst of all the contracts for me. Yes Jarry go too long of a deal but at least the dude has had some success and still not too old.

I think Ellers will be Carter, Granlund, version 3.0.

Even more concerning is the logic behind the signing. Reirden liked him 3 years ago in Washington. That’s not analytical thinking at all.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
According to The Athletic he's in the 92nd percentile defensively.
Well, also he'll be a year older.

Hopefully his defense holds up at the very very least. Elite defense is a god send, after watching Jeff Carter be the 3C.

This bottom 6 strategy of getting guys who are good defensively, but have little offense will be a major improvement from last years bottom 6.

But this, bend don't break bottom 6 will be exposed badly if Malkin and/or Crosby get hurt. Jake aswell.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
For the life of me I can't understand this deal. Don't we already have this guy in Jeff Carter? Why the hell would we want 2 of them?

This organization has been absolutely dysfunctional for years.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I have to imagine the thinking is to load up the top 6 with all the offensively gifted players and load up the bottom 6 with shutdown defensive guys. Nieto is also a noted defensive forward.

In any case, this deal would make a lot more sense if the team could jettison one of Carter or Granlund before the season starts. As it stands the team is still looking pretty old and slow.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
He's much more suited as a 4C at this point but he at least fits how Sullivan wants to use his bottom-6. It's not going to be miscasting Brassard or Carter in a defensive 3C role anymore, so there's at least that.

If he can give 25 points while not hemorrhaging goals against, I'll be fine with it. I definitely won't be happy about it unless he produces like a legitimate 3C, but I'll be fine with it if he can at least be good defensively.

You don't necessarily need a HBK Bonino style performance out of your 3C, a 2017-2018 Sheahan performance is totally acceptable.
Classic empo trying to put lipstick on a pig defunding this team.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad