Larry Tanenbaum selling a share of his 25% MLSE stake at an $8B valuation

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Dang...citizens in Ontario have like zero money and very little healthcare, but thankfully the Ontario municipal employees have 8 billion to throw around. I wonder if this is the rebranded "Teachers Union" that used to own the Leafs before Rogers.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Dang...citizens in Ontario have like zero money and very little healthcare, but thankfully the Ontario municipal employees have 8 billion to throw around. I wonder if this is the rebranded "Teachers Union" that used to own the Leafs before Rogers.
Ya and that fund has 92 billion in it, dang, I’d like one of those pensions.

So this is for a part of
The , Leafs, Raptors, soccer and football team.

Reactions: eojsmada

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Nope. If he owns 25%, that would be vaue of $2B for his part. He's selling some, not all of that. I'm guess 12.5% at $1B (Canadian).

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Nope. If he owns 25%, that would be vaue of $2B for his part. He's selling some, not all of that. I'm guess 12.5% at $1B (Canadian).
For what I've been able to piece together it's 25% of his 25%, so 1/16 of the total of MLSE, which if this valuation is correct means they're dropping $500 million.

Reactions: Brodie

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For what I've been able to piece together it's 25% of his 25%, so 1/16 of the total of MLSE, which if this valuation is correct means they're dropping $500 million.
It is also for mlse which includes the raps, leafs, TFC, marlies, the arena etc.
If you break down what each part of that conglomerate is worth on its own, that seems like the right price. I assume MLSE does not own all 100% of each of the entities they have an interest in.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
It is also for mlse which includes the raps, leafs, TFC, marlies, the arena etc.
If you break down what each part of that conglomerate is worth on its own, that seems like the right price. I assume MLSE does not own all 100% of each of the entities they have an interest in.

I believe you're wrong: MLSE is the holding company, which owns 100% of it's teams and properties, but then MLSE shares are split between Rogers, Bell and Tannenbaum (and now OMERS I guess).

Well, actually Wiki identifies one thing: Maple Leafs Square, which is jointly owned by MLSE and Cadillac Fairview. But everything else appears to be 100% MLSE.

Reactions: varsaku

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Friedman speculates that this 20% stake in his holding company may be a cash flow thing and could be something to tide over if MLSE breaks up. (Partners review agreement periodically and after some recent issues may decide to break up at next review.)

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
You're complaining about the life's work of thousands of people having the combined money to buy a partial share from 1 person.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012

No the Teachers Union that owned the Leafs before is Ontario Teachers Pension Fund. OMERS is the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System which the pension plan for people who work for the municipal governments in Ontario. Ontario has 444 municipalities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad