News Article: Larry Brooks is spot on

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
They could have put them on injured reserve, still would have opened up roster spots

I'm not sure they could. I remember reading somewhere that the injuries are not considered Team "Hockey related Injuries" meaning they did not happen on the "job". If you can understand what I'm getting at. I think that makes them ineligable for regular IR. Alot like footballs Non-football related injured reserve. I think they had to suspend them in order to free up roster spots.

I think that is the way you have to look at this. The Islanders wanted a full roster and not be handicaped early on by only being able to have a 21 man roster instead of 23.

Brooks again misses his target with his **** slinging at the Islanders. I dont understand why you even read his bull anymore.

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
I agree that the Isles are playing it cheap on a great many levels. I think they have many PR issues in the way they treat fans at all levels. There is no doubt that PR remains a gigantic issue — and I suppose when you have largely inexperienced kiddies running PR, mistakes are going to be made. We can only hope that they will eventually bring in a pro to handle PR properly.

But Brooks' position on Bailey and Joensuu is off base and short-sighted, and I can understand why. The Islanders are not his team.

I don't think the Isles suspended Bailey or Joensuu because they wanted to punish them, or penalize them for getting hurt while playing overseas. I think that when they saw both players would be unavailable, and seeing the very thin defensive unit, they used the opportunity of the injuries to expand the roster. be it through trade waiver wire or allowing some young draft picks to stay with the club — the Islanders absolutely did the right thing.

The picked up Finley, Hickey and Aucoin and have the chance to add some depth to the team. While Visnovsky works out his problem, and Bailey and Joensuu heal, the Islanders can take a look at some other players, all while leaving guys like Nino, Donovan, Strome and Reinhart to develop properly (as Brooks points out). If the Isles find that one of their waiver pick-ups pan out – its a bonus. (See Grabner, Michael) And not for nothing — Aucoin is looking reasonably well in his 2 game stint.

Fan101

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
OK this is Larry Brooks, NY Post beat writer for the NY Rangers, the team who originally signed Wade Redden and Scott Gomez to those contracts that required the new buyout rules in the CBA.

If the Isles were that strict about the 3 year entry rule, Tavares would not be signed to a new contract after 2 years. Most rookies need the 3 full years to prevent agents from pressuring owners for new contracts before the player can develop.

In the case of Niedereiter, Bailey and DiPietro the Isles are guilty of rushing them up but the franchise is allowed to change their approach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad