Speculation: Larry Brooks: Canucks possibly going to make a run at Lafreniere

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Larry Brooks of NY Post

Rangers in contract talks with Ryan Strome, option they won't pick (nypost.com)

Speculates that the Canucks are very interested in Lafreniere especially now that the Canucks have made Lafreniere's most recent agent their new Assistant GM, Emile Castonguay.

Brook's speculates that maybe Horvat is someone the Canucks would be interested in moving for Laffy.

Super interesting that Brooks, (who is very connected with Rangers) is coming out with all these hints and speculations regarding Rangers, JT Miller and Lafreniere.

Could there be a frame work of a trade of Miller for Lafreniere?

There seems to be alot of reports coming out from multiple sources regarding these 2 teams.

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Miller and a first maybe

edit: I doubt the rangers want to get rid of a player that cheap but maybe they see something they don’t like and want to sell high

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Miller won't get you Lafreniere solely because of the short commitment the Rangers would have with Miller. It would have to be someone who was cost controlled for more than a year.

Horvat for Lafreniere as some sort of basis seems like a reasonable suggestion. I have no clue how to value Lafreniere right now, so I won't try to make a "fair" proposal, but Horvat is the kind of guy the Rangers would probably demand for Lafreniere.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
ryan-reynolds-but-why.gif

i dont really understand the logistics behind it. Why would the Rangers want to give up on a #1 overall pick 2 years in? And why would Vancouver trade their captain for him?

idk but would be interesting

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Rangers would do well to get rid of Laff now if they think he is a bust like Nolan Patrick. Patrick was held on too long and returned very very little once the league figured out he is a bust.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If the Nucks move Horvat I guess Miller won the power struggle! Horvat would slot in nicely on the Rangers in my opinion.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Only assets on Vancouver that return Lafreniere are Pettersson and Hughes. But Rangers cannot afford either unless Canucks are taking cap back. Might be a 2+2=22 rumor because of Lafreniere’s agent but this isn’t exactly what I would call cut and dry

Reactions: haveandare

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
It doesn't make sense at all. It's still too recent for the Rangers to give up on him, as he has tons of room to improve. And with that said, his value is such a question mark right now, what would the Canucks plan on giving up for him?

Reactions: bernmeister

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Trading a significant amount of assets for Laf would be a terrible idea. Overrated, slow, and soft as shit.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
ryan-reynolds-but-why.gif

i dont really understand the logistics behind it. Why would the Rangers want to give up on a #1 overall pick 2 years in? And why would Vancouver trade their captain for him?

idk but would be interesting

Canucks would trade Horvat if only the following reasons.

1. Horvat has indicated he is testing the free agency market after next year

2. Canucks have come to an organizational conclusion that JT Miller should be extended rather than traded and there fore they would have 1-2 down the middle of Pettersson and Miller

If we are moving a Horvat or a Miller, I still dont think its for a winger. I think it will be for a Dman.

Reactions: tom leafers

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Rangers would clearly have to think they can extend Horvat come July. I'd assume his asking price would be around 6.5? He hasn't really done much to warrant much more than his last cap hit. JT Miller would price himself out for his net contract. We simply can't afford that. I'd have a hard time seeing the organization toss away a 1st overall pick who just turned 20, but who knows.. I also never believe anything that comes out of the mouth from Brooks.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
if NYR could get Miller in a deal for Lafreniere, thats a MASSIVE win for the Rangers

Not a fan of that though from the Canucks stand point. I find Lafreniere to be extremely underwhelming... but his draft position will get NYR a great return

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Miller won't get you Lafreniere solely because of the short commitment the Rangers would have with Miller. It would have to be someone who was cost controlled for more than a year.

Horvat for Lafreniere as some sort of basis seems like a reasonable suggestion.
I have no clue how to value Lafreniere right now, so I won't try to make a "fair" proposal, but Horvat is the kind of guy the Rangers would probably demand for Lafreniere.

They are both UFAs at the end of next season.
Miller is probably due a bigger raise in an open market.
Trading the captain would be a big change to the team dynamic, but maybe the new management team wants to make an imprint as early as possible, so they can take some credit if the team continues to turn it around. Boudreau was hired with only some cursory consultation with Rutherford ahead of Rutherford's own appointment as President, and right now most of the team's recent success has been chalked up to the "Bruce, there it is!" effect.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Man, if it would be Horvat...

I haven't watched him closely lately but that's a great player, no?

Although Lafs ceiling is still very high

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
What is Lafs value?
He doesn’t hold the 1st OA value he had at his draft, but how far down has he dropped?
Are we talking Horvat+Hoglander value or Horvat 1 for 1

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Rangers would clearly have to think they can extend Horvat come July. I'd assume his asking price would be around 6.5? He hasn't really done much to warrant much more than his last cap hit. JT Miller would price himself out for his net contract. We simply can't afford that. I'd have a hard time seeing the organization toss away a 1st overall pick who just turned 20, but who knows..

The speculation is based on off-season moves so the trade could be contingent of Horvat already re-signing a new deal with Rangers.

I'm not a fan of Laffy, I think he is in bust territory relative to his draft position.

I'm okay with trading Horvat if were keeping Miller but there would be so many other young prospects id trade Horvat for instead of Laffy.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
I think Miller makes a ton of sense for the Rangers to acquire, and will cost a pretty penny to get, but I do believe pretty strongly that Lafreniere is just easy clickbait around the coincidence that we recently hired his former agent

If the headline literally writes itself you have to expect the media to print it.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad