Larkin with Babs

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Asked this in the last PGT but I think it's pretty much dead there now.

Babcock was the coach for nearly a decade. Hypothetically, he re-signed in Detroit instead of Toronto. He's still the coach. How does Larkin fare under Babcock? Does he start in GR? Tear it up then get sent up quickly? Does he struggle under Babcock's coaching style? How long is his leash? Etc.

Note: This isn't a Blashill vs Babcock question. Blash shouldn't even be mentioned, he was never the coach in this scenario.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Conventional wisdom would tell us Larkin would have had a harder time getting regular minutes to start under Babcock. Babcock's track record with rookies wasn't always favorable.

That said, he never had a talent like Larkin emerge through the system. It's possible Larkin's rise was unavoidable in any regime. Things moved too slow for Nyquist, Tatar, and Smith you could argue, but none of them screamed 19-year-old franchise player like our boy D-Boss.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Pretty sure abdelkader got 2 goals in a game in the playoffs and didn't get much ice time or got scratched. So yeah. Larkin wouldn't get ice time. But he would eventually get it because he's a boss. A d boss

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think Babcock would've wanted him on the team to start, but I don't think he'd be as "immune" to relegation as Larkin is. As much as I like Larkin, he has his Tatarian moments where he gets a little careless with the puck or overhandles it. Last night, he made a weak pass up the middle that, thankfully, just made it past the blue line to put Florida offsides. Thats the kind of thing that Babs would jump on as a "teaching moment" and Larkin probably would've found himself bumped down the line afterwards.

I just think Babcock would have began molding him into a two-way guy from the start. While he never had a prospect like Larkin under him, I can't think of any player under his tenure who didn't first "earn" their minutes with physical and/or defensively conservative performances or low-risk minutes for those who clearly never were going to be two-way/physical specimens. Instead, it seems (not that I know what's going on behind the scenes) like he's being handled in a more hands-off approach (to the extent possible with a teenage NHLer), and has had the opportunity to make his mistakes without the anxiety of being benched.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Conventional wisdom would tell us Larkin would have had a harder time getting regular minutes to start under Babcock. Babcock's track record with rookies wasn't always favorable.

That said, he never had a talent like Larkin emerge through the system. It's possible Larkin's rise was unavoidable in any regime. Things moved too slow for Nyquist, Tatar, and Smith you could argue, but none of them screamed 19-year-old franchise player like our boy D-Boss.

Not sure that Larkin did either. He looked great from the beginning, but I don't think people were sure it was going to last. Certainly not like it has. Its impossible to know, but part of me thinks the second Larkin made an egregious mistake or two in his own zone, he'd find his minutes cut and end up in a "learning role," lets call it - getting limited minutes so he can "see how the game is played" from those who are safer with the puck.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
I think the news of Kronwall and Zetterberg going up to Babcock and saying they want him here and he needs to be here would have gotten him on the team, just not sure if Babcokc starts him game 1 with Z

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Larkin made himself impossible to keep down in a way no other player under Babcock ever had. There's no way he would have done anything but love the kid and his ridiculous work ethic.

Has Larkin ever took a single shift off that Babcock could have pointed to and said "look kid, you need to mature a bit more"?

No.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Didn't Babcock come in before Datsyuk and Zetterberg were leading the team? Or did that happen at the same time? I said this somewhere else but I didn't watch hockey back then. Either way, dats and Z were already "driving the bus" I guess.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

I agree.

Larkin would be fighting with Jokim Andersson for ice time under Babcock. I loved Babs relentless coaching style, but man am I glad he's gone now. I have a feeling TML fans will turn their backs on Babcock in a few years.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Didn't Babcock come in before Datsyuk and Zetterberg were leading the team? Or did that happen at the same time? I said this somewhere else but I didn't watch hockey back then. Either way, dats and Z were already "driving the bus" I guess.

Same time pretty much

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
He would have started in GR, and then gotten some call-ups. If he immediately impressed and wowed, he might have stayed up.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I agree.

Larkin would be fighting with Jokim Andersson for ice time under Babcock. I loved Babs relentless coaching style, but man am I glad he's gone now. I have a feeling TML fans will turn their backs on Babcock in a few years.

After decades of irrelevance he's going to lead them into the playoffs consistently once their roster shapes up. I hope that buy him at least a little bit of gratitude from the fanbase.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I feel like Babcock would have been unwilling to put him in the top 6 to start the year off and Holland would have sent him down to Grand Rapids as a result

Then he would have done extremely well in the AHL,eventually gotten a shot and ran with it and by now would be in pretty much the same position he's in currently

The Wings would probably have a couple more losses from not having him up from the start though

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
He would be in grand rapids still. Remeber bumblecock had cleary and sammy in the lineup over tartar and nyquist. Until he was FORCED by injuries to bring them up.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Babcock probably wouldn't have put him on the top 2 lines to start the season which would have resulted in him being sent to Grand Rapids.

Larkin would have had to force his way into the line-up, but given the talent he's shown he probably would have done that by this point in the season.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
What's the point of even speculating? We'll never know.

The only realistic reason I see for Babcock doing something different than Blashill and leaving Larkin in GR is that Blash had the benefit of coaching Larkin in the AHL playoffs, so he knew him a bit better than Babcock would have. That probably impacted Blashill's decision to push for Larkin on the opening night roster.

But Babcock has pushed for young players on the roster plenty of times too. I think people forget that roster decisions are not only up to the coach. Larkin starting in the NHL probably had more to do with Datsyuk being injured more than anything else.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Has Larkin ever took a single shift off that Babcock could have pointed to and said "look kid, you need to mature a bit more"?

No.

Well, we all know Babs. One bad turnover may be enough to suddenly find yourself on another line, 'cause he wants to teach you a lesson. Especially in regard to younger players.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Well, we all know Babs. One bad turnover may be enough to suddenly find yourself on another line, 'cause he wants to teach you a lesson. Especially in regard to younger players.
That hasn't really been true and I don't know where that myth comes from. Tatar made so many terrible turnovers his first time in the NHL, never was healthy scratched or benched. Jurco also got a lot more opportunity under Babcock than he has under Blashill.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Hyperbole. Considering how much he valued his vets, it for sure felt like that sometimes, though.

jerrymac

Oct 24, 2011
GB
If Babcock were to make him earn his ice time and maybe play some time in GR like some are suggesting, who would have had his roster spot?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I'll go out on a limb and say that he wouldn't be in Calder consideration because of starting the year in the AHL.

Long term? No difference.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
That hasn't really been true and I don't know where that myth comes from. Tatar made so many terrible turnovers his first time in the NHL, never was healthy scratched or benched. Jurco also got a lot more opportunity under Babcock than he has under Blashill.

The year he scored 19 goals, Tatar was healthy scratched for like 7 straight games to start the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad