Larkin or Pettersson

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Every number one center in the league plays as good defensively as him? His stats/advanced stats/play on ice last year should have had him in the selke consideration. If he had been around longer and had a bit of a reputation he would have gotten a lot of votes. Hes better defensively than most centers in the NHL at this point. He did all that at the age of 22 with a team with no help on it. Based on last season, hes definitely pushing top 20 center in the NHL if not higher and he did it as a 22 year old with no help.

For comparisons sake, at 22 he just had as good of a regular season as Ryan O'Reilly has ever had and as good of a season as Toews has ever had in his career. What Larkin did last year offensively and defensively and as a match up center on a team with that little amount of help is not pedestrian at all.
Most of them, yes.

What "advanced stats" are we talking about here?

These are guys in Selke consideration:

LQtgrwz.png

sC8Lhia.png

b1n83Fo.png

60guV8v.png

This is not:

TkCtLhB.png

And this sure as f*** is not:

WNW0Ccz.png

Hell, Zibanejad has rated much better defensively in each of the last two seasons on an even worse team, and he's a very below average #1 center. So please enlighten me as to which stats are saying Larkin is great defensively.

Again, really good player, but "Dylan Larkin, the Selke winner" is something people just made up.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Most of them, yes.

What "advanced stats" are we talking about here?

These are guys in Selke consideration:

LQtgrwz.png

sC8Lhia.png

b1n83Fo.png

60guV8v.png

This is not:

TkCtLhB.png

And this sure as **** is not:

WNW0Ccz.png

Hell, Zibanejad has rated much better defensively in each of the last two seasons on an even worse team, and he's a very below average #1 center. So please enlighten me as to which stats are saying Larkin is great defensively.

Again, really good player, but "Dylan Larkin, the Selke winner" is something people just made up.

EEwbQAxVUAATLEY.png

Here ya go!

The steps he took last season defensively (and has carried on into this season so far) have been extremely encouraging, considering the terrible possession/defensive team he's on. Last season he went up against the top center of the opposing team and came up on top most of the time in CF% and xgf%, limiting their opportunities and making them spend most of the game in their own zone. Blashill has been an extremely aggressive matchup coach, so despite most players facing all competition every game, when Detroit has first change, there's barely a shift that the opposing top center doesn't have to deal with Dylan Larkin.

Larkin had some positioning issues that were pretty more proficient when he was younger, but he's gotten better every year. He is not a Selke calibre player now, but as the team improves around him, judging by his 18-19 season, there's no reason why he can't be a Selke calibre player within the next two years or so at all.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
this poll wrecked by petterson fan boys that dont understand how important what larkin does is

I’m a huge Larkin fan (and Wings fan) and he’s very underrated here as he’s definitely a #1C you can win a cup with.

But I voted Petterson. He’s a top 10 asset in the league IMO

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
EP and this isn't particularly close. He'll be a perennial PPG guy and with potential for more in other seasons. Just a different type of talent. I see Larkin as a very good 2C on a contending team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad