Proposal: Larkin for Draisaitl/RNH

Status
Not open for further replies.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Larkin career high points: 63

Draisaitl current points this season: 61 in 50 games

If I'm not mistaken they were drafted in the same year. Would be really interesting to ask NHL GM's which player they would take first in a redraft :naughty:

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
People really believe Larkin is better then Draisaitl? Larkin is a 2nd line C on a contending team.

I agree that Draisaitl is a better player, but what is he on Edmonton? Surely not a first line center, and he too would be on the same boat as Larkin as far as being a second line center on contender teams. Though which teams are we talking about here? Because if you're talking about league standings here, I could see Larkin being the #1 center on teams like Nashville, Montreal, and SJ.

If I'm not mistaken they were drafted in the same year. Would be really interesting to ask NHL GM's which player they would take first in a redraft :naughty:

How many of those 61 points did not include McDavid?

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Typical Oiler fan. Always gotta bring up the past. But since you brought it up he was a 47% CF and shot a ridiculous 30.77% in those playoffs and had a PDO 0f 107.94 so he was lucky af. But hey don't let facts get in the way. For the record I didn't say he was garbage. Was just responding to the person who said that Larkin was a 2C on a playoff contender as a way to make Larkin sound like a lesser player than Draisaitl.

P.S. Malkin and Kuznetsov are 2 examples of 2Cs that play on Cup contenders who would be 1Cs on majority of other teams.

Facts would be the 16 points he had in 13 games in those playoffs. Larkin had 1 point in 5 games the year before. Or how about when he had 77 points to Larkins 32? Or you know the 100 pt pace he's on this year while only really playing on the PP with McDavid the first 25 or so games.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
As a Wings fan, I've never understood everyone's rush to give Larkin the C.

He's good, and might be a leader (I have no idea)... but, seems premature.

I don't think the Wings would be interested in getting slower with Drai, and who knows what that would do to the locker room.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Drafted in the same year and Drai has out produced him every single year. How exactly is it ++? I would love to know.
It is absolutely unbelievable how may times it needs to be said.

Draisaitl is great. He's a god. He's 10000Xs the player Larkin is

The Red Wings still have 0.000 interest in trading away their hometown-best player-future captain, and it would take significantly more than just Draisaitl to get him. A "good young center for a better young center" deal doesn't get us any closer to a championship, and really hurts our organization off the ice

Richard Moistmaker

May 9, 2018
This is why your team is 31st in the league lol. Trying to say Larkin is unavailable.
When a team is rebuilding (25 yrs of playoffs can do that to you), you don't trade away your best player who is also one of the youngest. You trade away the pieces that are not going to be there for when you become competitive again.

Also, why exactly are you "lol"ing? Did you forget you were an Edmonton fan??

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario

The Red Wings still have 0.000 interest in trading away their hometown-best player-future captain, and it would take significantly more than just Draisaitl to get him. A "good young center for a better young center" deal doesn't get us any closer to a championship, and really hurts our organization off the ice

I fail to see how replacing a good young center with a better (same aged) center puts you further back.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
When a team is rebuilding (25 yrs of playoffs can do that to you), you don't trade away your best player who is also one of the youngest. You trade away the pieces that are not going to be there for when you become competitive again.

Also, why exactly are you "lol"ing? Did you forget you were an Edmonton fan??
Yeah his "lol"ing was a joke, Considering his team is crashing and burning big time here.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County

Only, it isn't being said repeatedly. The overwhelming responses in this thread are Redwing fans saying Larkin is better than Draisaitl.

I'm curious how that opinion is being formed and tried asking in a civil way, but nobody responded.

Your comments about him being a hometown boy and future captain at least helps to understand why you wouldn't want to trade him.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Ty Dolla

Jan 1, 2018
Lol at all the butthurt people about my not a 2C post. It was originally in response to the guy who said Larkin is a 2C on a playoff contender as a way to discredit Larkin. I did not once say Larkin was a better player or that Draisaitl was garbage. I just stated that he currently does not play 2C on a bottom feeder Oilers team

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I fail to see how replacing a good young center with a better (same aged) center puts you further back.
Does it put us in contention today? No.

Does it hurt team morale to ship out your best and hardest working player who has shown massive improvement year to year? Yes.
Does it anger the fans to ship out a fan-favorite kid from the local area? Yes.

There is no reason we would want to get rid of him. We would need to SIGNIFICANTLY improve our outlook, IMMEDIATELY. Draisaitl alone does not do that.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Okay, is it safe to say neither fanbase wants this? Can we lock it up now? I don't want to bash Detroit fans or their team, Edmonton fans should have a lot of empathy for a team in a similar situation.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
larkin is detroits most skilled player while also being there hardest worker. he is setting the bar for the rest of there young players.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

How many of those 61 points for Draisaitl is due to the fact of him playing with McDavid. Larkin is putting up nearly a point per game without any such luxury.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Only, it isn't being said repeatedly. The overwhelming responses in this thread are Redwing fans saying Larkin is better than Draisaitl.

I'm curious how that opinion is being formed and tried asking in a civil way, but nobody responded.

Your comments about him being a hometown boy and future captain at least helps to understand why you wouldn't want to trade him.

Because players aren't stat sheets. Jonathan Toews has never scored 80 points, yet for a stretch people considered him in the discussion as one of the best player's in the league. The impact a player has in his work ethic, his leadership, his camaraderie, his attention to detail, defensive ability all factors into the discussion. The complete player determines how "good" a player is, not solely the number of points he puts up.

In short, it's a philosophical debate; you think Draisaitl is phenomenal because he can have a outlier year shooting at 21% and 31% of his offensive production on the powerplay, all while playing 70% of his time with the best hockey player in the league in McDavid. All while posting a sub-50% Corsi at even strength. Never stepping foot on the ice during a penalty kill. Of course, you don't want this mentioned because it doesn't support the narrative. Meanwhile, Larkin is the heart and soul of his team, playing in every situation, and is the #1 option in every phase. He's better defensively, he's better in the faceoff circle. Larkin is the player the Wings organization and fanbase would prefer to build around, flat out. His complete game, and the fact that he's on pace to score 80 points tells me all I need to know. That's not even mentioning that he makes $2.4mm less over the course of his contract. It's a no-brainer for us.

There's no way to substantiate this, but I'm willing to bet that subtracting Larkin from this team and adding Draisaitl to the Red Wings from the beginning of this year, the Wings would be a significantly worse team than they are right now. Fortunately, the Oilers would probably be worse without Draisaitl, and how they are so bad despite having been gifted an embarrassment of riches over the years will continue to mind blowing.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
I wouldn't trade Drai for Larkin and Zadina let alone Larkin by himself. back to back 70+ point seasons. He is going to smash that this year. Already finished top 10 in scoring once and is most likely going to do it again this year barring injury.

I'm a big Drai fan, but pump the brakes here. "Most likely"? He's currently tied with two others for 9-10-11 in the scoring race. There's no reason to believe his pace will suddenly surge ahead of everyone else's. If the top players hold their paces, he's a coin flip to hold on to a low-top-10 scoring race slot, just about as likely to slide below 10 as hold at or above it. It's not a 'most likely' thing.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
How many of those 61 points for Draisaitl is due to the fact of him playing with McDavid. Larkin is putting up nearly a point per game without any such luxury.

Larkin doesn’t get stuck lugging around boat anchors on pace for 8 goals, for one, and for another what does it matter how many of his points came with McDavid? Are Benn’s points worth less because he plays with Seguin? Rantanen-MacKinnon? Marchand-Pastrnak? Wheeler-Scheifele?

f***, some teams have enough players for their good players to have TWO good linemates instead of one and a rotating cast of fourth liners. What a luxury that must be.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Larkin doesn’t get stuck lugging around boat anchors on pace for 8 goals, for one, and for another what does it matter how many of his points came with McDavid? Are Benn’s points worth less because he plays with Seguin? Rantanen-MacKinnon? Marchand-Pastrnak? Wheeler-Scheifele?

****, some teams have enough players for their good players to have TWO good linemates instead of one and a rotating cast of fourth liners. What a luxury that must be.
Draisaitl benefiting by playing with McDavid has a lot to do with his numbers being so high, Let's not kid ourselves. Larkin has no such luxury of playing with an elite talent like McDavid. Larkin is still putting up career numbers without playing with elite talent like Draisaitl has to work with. There's a big difference there.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
The reason that Larkin would be so coveted here is that he has proven he can drive a line on his own.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Because players aren't stat sheets. Jonathan Toews has never scored 80 points, yet for a stretch people considered him in the discussion as one of the best player's in the league. The impact a player has in his work ethic, his leadership, his camaraderie, his attention to detail, defensive ability all factors into the discussion. The complete player determines how "good" a player is, not solely the number of points he puts up.

In short, it's a philosophical debate; you think Draisaitl is phenomenal because he can have a outlier year shooting at 21% and 31% of his offensive production on the powerplay, all while playing 70% of his time with the best hockey player in the league in McDavid. All while posting a sub-50% Corsi at even strength. Never stepping foot on the ice during a penalty kill. Of course, you don't want this mentioned because it doesn't support the narrative. Meanwhile, Larkin is the heart and soul of his team, playing in every situation, and is the #1 option in every phase. He's better defensively, he's better in the faceoff circle. Larkin is the player the Wings organization and fanbase would prefer to build around, flat out. His complete game, and the fact that he's on pace to score 80 points tells me all I need to know. That's not even mentioning that he makes $2.4mm less over the course of his contract. It's a no-brainer for us.

There's no way to substantiate this, but I'm willing to bet that subtracting Larkin from this team and adding Draisaitl to the Red Wings from the beginning of this year, the Wings would be a significantly worse team than they are right now. Fortunately, the Oilers would probably be worse without Draisaitl, and how they are so bad despite having been gifted an embarrassment of riches over the years will continue to mind blowing.

So, instead of simply answering the question, you decide to act as though you're in my head and tell me what my thoughts are?

I never had a narrative...go back to my very fist post in this thread and you'll see I was simply asking why people thought Larkin was better and even mentioned, perhaps I'd not seen him play enough to understand how that opinion was being formed. I never said Larkin wasn't good...just questioned why people thought he was better than Drai.

Secondly, this isn't Draisaitls first time posting excellent stats. He took it to the next level in 2016 and is now, again, taking it to a level beyond that. The guy's on pace for 100 points and 40+ goals. You can use McDavid as his crutch all you want, but that's just speculation on your part. How many players have played with McDavid and not had their stats inflated? See, it isn't that simple...and you certainly can't say, with any factual bases, that he wouldn't still be a high end player without skating next to McDavid. Having watched him be a dominate force in the 2016 playoff series against the Ducks (as I'm a Ducks fan) and various games throughout the past few years, I'm going by my eye test on this one. He's an elite offensive player and one that I'd love to have on my team. If you want to say 'intangibles' make Larkin the better player, then that's fine...that's the whole reason why I asked the question to begin with. (I wanted to understand the love for him over Drai) In the end, it comes down to preference. For me, at least thus far in their young careers, I don't think the intangibles argument makes up for the gap between Draisaitls offensive numbers versus Larkins.

Last edited:

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
This thread is about as toxic as a gender debate on Twitter.

Larkin is better than Draisaitl. Puljujarvi has no value. Larkin "is Detroit's McDavid". Draisaitl is only good because he plays with McDavid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad