News Article: Larkin comments on leadership; Nielsen out, AA doubtful.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
we also need to make sure we're doing the best thing we can for Michael Rasmussen long-term and our assessment as we stand here today is that the best thing to do is keep him here and keep playing.
"As long as he's progressing and when he plays, he's played 13-14 minutes, it's not like he's playing eight minutes. I personally think he needs to learn how to play at a higher pace. The pace, he can get away with it in junior, he can't get away with it here. He needs to learn the little tricks of the trade to hold onto the puck against bigger, stronger men. He's bigger and stronger than everybody in junior.
"And then off the ice he's got Mike Kadar (strength and conditioning coach) to help him continue to build that body into an elite athlete's body as a young guy, so I think there's tons of benefits to continuing to play
Blashill echoing my thoughts exactly.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
Nielsen might be a bit overpaid but he’s still a serviceable centermen. Good 3rd liner on any team and has 6 points in 11 games so far. Theirs a long list of players that would be bought out before him. Nobody is being bought out at this point of the rebuild unless it’s the last year of their contract or they can no longer play hockey (Weiss)

Oct 18, 2006
Nielsen might be a bit overpaid but he’s still a serviceable centermen. Good 3rd liner on any team and has 6 points in 11 games so far. Theirs a long list of players that would be bought out before him. Nobody is being bought out at this point of the rebuild unless it’s the last year of their contract or they can no longer play hockey (Weiss)
He’s played well of late, but overall he’s stlll been average at best. 0 goals.

Abdelkader is the worst though. He genuinely looks terrible.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
AA probably injured his tailbone with the amount of times he falls. Shift after shift he's tumbling around, I think he should work on staying on his feet. You don't see NHL players going down that much. AA's entering Hartnell territory.

When it takes a 1000% effort to win a game, getting blasted in your own zone, outshot 2-1 normally, I think it causes more injuries. The worst teams take the most abuse.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I think that last part is debatable, but yeah. Prime candidate for a buyout.

I'd rather ride the caphit now when it means nothing, opposed to taking on a caphit for the next 8 years (or 6 if we do it in the offseason) which could effect us when we are hopefully contenders again. Cap literally means nothing right now.

Reactions: FMichael

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Don't expect any good outcome , but just build 1 solid line so we can sometimes get something going
Bert Larkin Nyquist

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
It is a tank year. A loss is a good outcome. Just don't want to see an ugly loss where there is no effort.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Nielsen has been "out" his entire tenure with Detroit. He is basically an even worse version of Stephen Weiss.

I mean, that's factually not true. Paid a little bit too much for what he is? Sure. But he played 158 of 164 possible games the last two years and had 41 and 33 points. Stephen Weiss played 78 games in Detroit and had 29. I mean, none of this is arguable. Also, why the **** would you buy Nielsen out right now. At least get Cozens or Kakko or Hughes first. And even then, what are you using that cap space for? Give me some move that you need 4M in cap for and I might consider it more. But if you just want Nielsen gone for some reason, that's not enough.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'd like to see Hicketts in GR. And Zadina playing forward for a game.

Zadina called up? He is struggling in the A, what makes you think he won't look out of place in Detroit?

I don't want to see Zadina at all this year, maybe like 2 games in April. Then next year, let him go back to the A again. He hasn't looked geeat at all in the AHL, let him stay down there until he shows he's ready.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Zadina called up? He is struggling in the A, what makes you think he won't look out of place in Detroit?

I don't want to see Zadina at all this year, maybe like 2 games in April. Then next year, let him go back to the A again. He hasn't looked geeat at all in the AHL, let him stay down there until he shows he's ready.
have you seen the games? how does he look? (not questioning your opinion on whether Zadina has be bad btw.) Is it defensively, offensively? Can you give examples of his bad play?

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net

No, I agree, he's absolutely a fine 3rd-line center; he's just overpaid by about 100%. Right now, he's playing along the same lines (or slightly worse than Valtteri Filppula), yet paid twice as much on a much longer term:

Sto0jfZ.jpg

I'd rather ride the caphit now when it means nothing, opposed to taking on a caphit for the next 8 years (or 6 if we do it in the offseason) which could effect us when we are hopefully contenders again. Cap literally means nothing right now.

I was just saying that he would be a candidate if there were to go that route, not that they should or will.

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario
have you seen the games? how does he look? (not questioning your opinion on whether Zadina has be bad btw.) Is it defensively, offensively? Can you give examples of his bad play?
I went and watched Saturdays game against Belleville and this is what I can say about Zadina.
Offensively he has trouble finding space right now, he wants to be flashy and make the exciting plays on offense but he doesn't have the space he wants. He had trouble handling the puck on the rush, making passes, receiving passes...ect. He got rocked in the 2nd period trying to split 2 defenders at the blue line with his head down. I think a year in the AHL is exactly what he needs, once he finds his space and gets a little stronger, he should start to look like he did in Junior.

His defensive game is actually very good. He back checks extremely well, you can tell he always wants the puck on his stick. However he is weak on his stick and doesn't do great in tight battles along the boards or anywhere else for that matter. But his positioning is very good, he's not often in the wrong spot.

Zadina will be just fine, he has the hockey IQ of an elite player, just needs to work on a few things, especially getting stronger.

Reactions: jkutswings

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Having hard time adjusting to the much quicker pace in the AHL compared to juniors. Not getting his shot off quickly and it has cost the Griffins goals as a result, especially on the PP.

Defensively, he seems lost as to where he should be or who he should cover. Looking for break out of the zone before our d-men can clear the puck over the blue line and at times, he gets caught.

Zadina has signs of greatness, but it will be awhile before that comes fully out. The team has been struggling as well, so that does not help, but with players finally ending up in GR from Detroit and other guys either sent to Toledo, or elsewhere, maybe the Griffins will slowly climb up the standings and Zadina's play will also rise as well. Everyone here just has to be patient as he is only 18 yrs old and this is a big jump for him and it will take some time for him to adjust and I think he will be fine. Got 2 games here in GR this weekend so will see what he and the team does.

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
I went and watched Saturdays game against Belleville and this is what I can say about Zadina.
Offensively he has trouble finding space right now, he wants to be flashy and make the exciting plays on offense but he doesn't have the space he wants. He had trouble handling the puck on the rush, making passes, receiving passes...ect. He got rocked in the 2nd period trying to split 2 defenders at the blue line with his head down. I think a year in the AHL is exactly what he needs, once he finds his space and gets a little stronger, he should start to look like he did in Junior.

His defensive game is actually very good. He back checks extremely well, you can tell he always wants the puck on his stick. However he is weak on his stick and doesn't do great in tight battles along the boards or anywhere else for that matter. But his positioning is very good, he's not often in the wrong spot.

Zadina will be just fine, he has the hockey IQ of an elite player, just needs to work on a few things, especially getting stronger.

Getting stronger? Really? Zadina is 6'-0" and 196 lbs. The same size Darren Helm is listed as and I've seen Helm pull off wrecking ball shifts time and time again in the NHL, although none lately. I find it hard to believe that Zadina's problem is that he just isn't strong enough at his current size of 6'-0 and 196 lbs.

Is he really weaker than guys like Nyquist at 5'-11 and 184 lbs, or Neilson at 6'-1" and 188 lbs? Come on.... Zetterberg was never as big as Zadina, Pav was close to the same size.

Zadina is plenty strong enough, he is just making a big jump from the Q to pro hockey, and needs some time to adjust to the NA pro game. I don't think he really needs to get bigger and faster to be in the NHL. He's got the size needed, he just needs to adjust. There are plenty of smaller players than Zadina doing fine, his size and strength isn't the issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad