Larionov vs russian development

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
stop that old whining song about Larionov. he has a point. he does what he feels is right. he helps a lot of players develop. that's more we should expect from an ex-player. he's not obliged to be the Savior of Russian Hockey. he's not a league or federation official. he has the right to have an opninion. if you don't agree with it, it's your problem. you need a target? go get the big to huge bunch of other agents who really ruin players. I may not agree with everything Larionov says, but most parts you and a lot of other ppl get offended by are just the ugly truth, whether you like it or not. and the guilty party in this are the army of russian sports and hockey officials who have let the whole russian development system deteriorate. Larionov definitely wasn't part of it. and now he's is only stating that he thinks developing in NA is a better way for most young players. seeing what it looks like in Russia in a lot of places I can't really argue against him and only have to say that he might be wrong. but then again, why should he think or do otherwise?

As Larionov has said, he tried what he could to change the system but there was an invisible wall that stopped him from doing anything. IIRC, he said some of the old guard were still bitter about him spilling the beans/telling the whole truth on the Soviet system and made sure he didn't get anything done.

Once again, I find it odd that the people having the biggest issues with Larionov are non-Russian Russophiles. In addition to claiming he's no longer Russian, when neither poster making that claim isn't one either... :facepalm:

I mean it's become apparent by posts here that KHL teams tend to fill roster spots with veterans or foreigners, it's perfectly understandable for a young player to look for other routes. And it's not like Russia's going to suddenly run out of players, what with having the 3rd highest amount of players in the worlds after Canada and USA.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He can help to rebuild system, which has been in proces of rebuilding. Taking players abroad is not a solution for russian hockey. It can help one player, but not a whole system.

Look at Sweden, ALL agents/scouts/coaches made a strategy of development and works according to it - no "Larionov".

wtf? why should he help to rebuild the system? when did he take the job? last time I checked when he tried to work in Russia and help he was rejected by the system. right now he's just a man who happens to be a russian ex-player. he has no obligation to help anybody but his clients as an agent. on the other hand there is a whole lot of ppl with jobs in the FHR who are obliged to care about russian players' development system and they don't. what about them? btw, it's those ppl who spit Larionov in the face when he was willing to help. should he now kiss their collective arses and praise the KHL in every interview and press all Russians to stay in Russia no matter what? if I were him, I wouldn't. I would go about my own business. that's what Larionov does. yes, he speaks his mind in interviews. oh holy Mother of God! we should condemn him for that!

Sweden? Yeah, they take guys like Larionov and implement them in their system, they don't don't sh*** on a guy's head and then expect him to becme a part of the system.

you are looking for guilty parties in all the wrong places.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
There is, it's funded by union dues. The money are available after 15-20 seasons in Russia, 5 years since the last KHL/VHL contract expiration or a career ending injury.

And yeah, every player is insured by Sogaz too, just look at their helmets.

Yep, "Sogaz" isn't only a "proud partner" of the KHL, but a holder of a lot of good insurance deals. One can only hope they work well enough for the players not only after a big tragedy when the president is monitoring the situation personally.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Replace Russian with Soviet. None of the posters here understand what it was like to be basically an instrument for a propaganda machine. After spending most of your life in a system with little freedom, to suddenly live in one where you weren't constantly followed or watched by your coach, can anyone really blame him for it? I recall him being fed up with the "old guard" still being in control of Russian hockey, thus him being unable to get anything done. That old guard still clings on to old ways, such as corruption(still very rooted in the Russian society) and shortsightedness, as many actual Russians living there have proven here. Maybe some day, in his lifetime, those people have given way to people more modern.

The thrust of Larionov's book was "please help me, I'm a refugee from the Soviet hockey system!" It was written exclusively for an NA Cold War audience. No one is endorsing or defending Soviet repression, but Larionov's book was a whining lament about how he agonized over leaving the beautiful simplicity and abject poverty of Voskreskensk and submitted to the coercion of wealth and fame in the capital city. Among Soviet citizens, Larionov was among the elite who enjoyed the best of everything. The problem that I have with his account is that, although Tikhonov did drill him endlessly, he created in him skills that enabled him to command large salaries in the NHL. Could he have achieved the same heights with strictly a Khimik background? Not so much.

Larionov's current mission in life has nothing at all to do with politics or nationality. He simply wants to pile up as much money as possible by dragging Russian kids to NA, whether they are ready or not. There is nothing illegal or wrong about that, but his motives are nothing more or less.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
The thrust of Larionov's book was "please help me, I'm a refugee from the Soviet hockey system!" It was written exclusively for an NA Cold War audience. No one is endorsing or defending Soviet repression, but Larionov's book was a whining lament about how he agonized over leaving the beautiful simplicity and abject poverty of Voskreskensk and submitted to the coercion of wealth and fame in the capital city. Among Soviet citizens, Larionov was among the elite who enjoyed the best of everything. The problem that I have with his account is that, although Tikhonov did drill him endlessly, he created in him skills that enabled him to command large salaries in the NHL. Could he have achieved the same heights with strictly a Khimik background? Not so much.

Larionov's current mission in life has nothing at all to do with politics or nationality. He simply wants to pile up as much money as possible by dragging Russian kids to NA, whether they are ready or not. There is nothing illegal or wrong about that, but his motives are nothing more or less.

Larionov earns a living. It his perogative to do it in anyway he chooses. He is an agent, not a dictator of men. We aren't living in a Game of Thrones episode here. If clients wish to go to Larionov, however persuasive etc he may, it is through their own free will. Is it always a carefully planned and logical decision? Perhaps not, these are teenagers and have other influences and powers in their life (family). Still, it is a job life any other job. Larionov from his perspective thinks he is helping many of his clients, and who is to say he isn't. Vorky, an irrational propaganda machine on HFboards?

Even if you conclude in a reasoned way (of which all outside of yourself Yakushev, you at least reason with some articulation, have failed) that Larionov is doing a disservice to Russian hockey (and LOL on the idea that Larionov should have the best interests of the system because he is Russian) are none of you capable of seeing the problem is deeper?

There are reasons why Russian youngsters are leaving. And Larionov may allow it to happen, but he isn't the driving reason. He cannot sell a dead horse. The reasons they leave are due to the system, environment and opportunities that are percieved both in Russia and NA. Fix the system, Larionov has less success. Trying to remove Larionov is like giving a tramp 10 dollars. Guess what? Tomorrow, he'll still be a tramp and the same predicament will still exist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad