laredo hockey

chief fan

Mar 24, 2019
any potential of sphl ever expanding to laredo? obviously by the attendance numbers the community put up in the arena during the short lived 2nd rate train wreck season jr league they are starved for hockey...i would only think a legit stable league like the sphl would be embraced by the community...laredo always put up good attendance numbers in the old chl, the bettet run sphl and lower cap hit i think could be a win for laredo

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Distance for the SPHL would be an issue. Sure, they've expanded to the north (Peoria, Evansville, Quad Cities, and for a brief while, Bloomington, IL) but those areas could support each other for travel. Laredo would be an island unto itself, especially with the loss of both Mississippi teams and Louisiana in the past few years.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
+1 to JDog's observations above. Too far, too isolated. Seems to me that any rebirth of minor pro hockey in Texas must come from within the state.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
If they were to get anything I would bet on the NAHL or WSHL franchise. But even then I'm not sure.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
JDog is right. Every SP team has multiple reasonable travel partners. Laredo is more than 15 hours away from the closest opponent by bus, that's a nonstarter.

Laredo reportedly almost joined the NAHL after their fellow ex-CHL markets more or less started the NAHL South Division, but for one reason or another never got their franchise. Travel costs would still be an issue in the South Division, the Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees in Hidalgo only lasted 2 or 3 years in the NA before they had to relocate to Pennsylvania citing travel costs despite a pretty good lease deal. Like most teams that far south, there's not a ton of short road trips you get with teams up North.

Not sure the NAHL would take them, any ownership group would have to have their act together. And while there's still hunger for hockey as evidenced by the support that gongshow league got for 2 weeks, there's not many leagues that were as rough and tumble as the CHL and USACHL were. All these leagues nowadays, save for the Fed, are all high pace and high skill leagues with a lot of physicality and decent amount of chippyness but no guys getting on the ice every shift looking to chuck nucks with the closest warm body.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad