Language of the COL/OTT Deal

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
I would love to see what the actual language is in the deal between Ottawa and Colorado regarding the first rounder. If it says Ottawa's first rounder in 2018 or 2019, could the Sens trade their 4th overall for the 31st overall and pick up something in addition and then give that pick to Colorado? It would still be Ottawa's 2018 first-round pick. What language could be in the deal? Ottawa's first round pick as determined by order of finish and lottery results?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I would love to see what the actual language is in the deal between Ottawa and Colorado regarding the first rounder. If it says Ottawa's first rounder in 2018 or 2019, could the Sens trade their 4th overall for the 31st overall and pick up something in addition and then give that pick to Colorado? It would still be Ottawa's 2018 first-round pick. What language could be in the deal? Ottawa's first round pick as determined by order of finish and lottery results?

Most of the big name insiders have already confirmed it has to be one of Ottawa's picks. So either 4th OA this year or most likely Ottawa's 2019 first rounder.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
Most of the big name insiders have already confirmed it has to be one of Ottawa's picks. So either 4th OA this year or most likely Ottawa's 2019 first rounder.

No doubt, but I would love to know what the deal says. Are they specific to the actual positioned pick? And if so, you know this probably was an issue at some point. What deal caused that?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
No doubt, but I would love to know what the deal says. Are they specific to the actual positioned pick? And if so, you know this probably was an issue at some point. What deal caused that?

I think just saying ottawa’s pick is enough in the language. If its the penguin’s first, the deal would explicitely have to say “ottawa’s pick via penguins”.

Otherwise, it can go around and around. Pens can trade for washington’s pick. Washington can trade for someone else etc

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It has to be Ottawa's pick. If the Senators traded #4 to the Capitals, for example, for #31, that wouldn't work because #4 is still technically Ottawa's pick, it just happens to belong to Washington now. If you look at past drafts, whenever a pick is moved, it'll show where the original pick came from.

For example, it'll say something like #4 Washington Capitals (via Ottawa Senators), and that wouldn't work for the Sens because if they're to give the Avs their 2018 1st, it has to be their own pick, not another team's. So should they trade it, the Avs automatically get their 2019 1st.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
I think just saying ottawa’s pick is enough in the language. If its the penguin’s first, the deal would explicitely have to say “ottawa’s pick via penguins”.

Otherwise, it can go around and around. Pens can trade for washington’s pick. Washington can trade for someone else etc

Exactly as far as the round and round bit. But the thing is, the NHL is always reactionary, responding to someone trying to break the rules rather than getting ahead of it. So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a situation where someone tried to get around this kind of deal.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Since the Duchene trade happened on November 5, 2017 it could only be Ottawa's 1st round pick this year or next year that Colorado would be getting. The example you said about the Penguins 1st round pick that the Senators got in the Derick Brassard trade had not happened at the time of the Matt Duchene trade.

Cynick

Know-Nothing
Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
Is the decision up to Ottawa right until they walk up to the stage, or is it before the draft?

I read somewhere that Ottawa has until the team before them is on the clock so that would mean they would have to make a choice before the Habs choose. Not sure if this is accurate but that was my interpretation of it.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

It probably says “Ottawa’s 1st round pick” and not “any 1st round pick owned by Ottawa”......? This seems very straightforward.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Wording ''team name round'' means the pick that team got when the picks were first distributed per lottery/season finish.

After that point, when a team trades a pick, lets say Ottawa trades #4 OA for #20 OA. The #4 pick become LA Kings FROM OTTAWA and #20 pick becomes Ottawa FROM LA. So, at any point in time you know who the original owner of the pick was.

Besides, NHL published the following note : Pick 4 - Under the terms of a Nov. 5, 2017, trade: The Senators have the option to retain their pick and instead send the Avalanche their first-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft.

''Their'' here means it has to be the pick #4 (originally given to Ottawa per lottery results).

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
You think after the roasting the Senators took on that trade they'd be waiting if they had a way of getting out of it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad