Lane Hutson Burgeoning Star Watch

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
He could simply have been compared him to other small dmen who have been drafted in the 2nd+ but have shown incredible offensive potential and are still very young like Zellweger, Cagnoni, Casey or even Spence, Faber... still a lot to prove from these players despite the talent.

Habs fans need to pump the brakes on these young players. Caufield was supposed to score 40 goals "minimum" this season, Poehling was the next Bossy and Kotkaniemi the next Lindros. The NHL regular season is a gruelling 82 games marathon, so 2 games of Hutson showing what he can do is great but he's certainly not the first one to do so after signing their ELC. Heinola was supposed to be a future Norris winner after his first few games with the Jets.

The future is certainly bright but it's never, ever, a sure thing. Already saying he's a draft steal like Kucherov and Point is just insane. "It's like TB being able to get Kucherov and Point in 2nd and 3rd rounds" so then every 2nd and 3rd round picks who touch NHL ice are steals? He might end up being a huge steal, and maybe you believe that, but there's a LOT that still needs to be proven. He's a beauty and I really hope he succeeds. Imagine a first pair of Hutson + Reinbacher if both reach their potential, that would be great but the chances of that happening at the level fans hope are low.
he's outscored everyone you mentioned so far taking into account he was playing in the NCAA.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Except none of those players put up close to his level of production lol (Smith was somewhat close but playing in a significantly worse league)

View attachment 854511
View attachment 854510
View attachment 854508
View attachment 854509
The point was undersized point producers. Butcher and Smith both had hot starts in terms of point production in the NHL too, but both ultimately couldn't hang. There is a real possibility that Hutson can't either. It is an unfortunate reality for any undersized dman.

Going into hutson's team at BU.

Dominick Fensore, David Farrance played that role at BU too.

Farrance had the exact same PPG his junior year as Hutson did. Is he in the NHL?

Again, hutson certainly has a higher ceiling, but the floor remains that, due to his lack size and physicality, he is unable to defend at the NHL level. Just the way it is with guys that size.

he's outscored everyone you mentioned so far taking into account he was playing in the NCAA.
Casey has virtually identical point production overall this year.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
His NCAA production makes it ok to compare him to all-time draft steals already? He's very good, but do you realize who you're comparing him with? If you argue with my post it pretty much means you think he's at that level, and maybe you do, and that's what I find insane.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
I saw on twitter (I know… it’s twitter) a thread saying the Habs drafted the best two players in the 2022 draft 😂 we need to slow down here a bit. Hutson looks great but he played 2 games folks.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
He could simply have been compared him to other small dmen who have been drafted in the 2nd+ but have shown incredible offensive potential and are still very young like Zellweger, Cagnoni, Casey or even Spence, Faber... still a lot to prove from these players despite the talent.

Habs fans need to pump the brakes on these young players. Caufield was supposed to score 40 goals "minimum" this season, Poehling was the next Bossy and Kotkaniemi the next Lindros. The NHL regular season is a gruelling 82 games marathon, so 2 games of Hutson showing what he can do is great but he's certainly not the first one to do so after signing their ELC. Heinola was supposed to be a future Norris winner after his first few games with the Jets.

The future is certainly bright but it's never, ever, a sure thing. Already saying he's a draft steal like Kucherov and Point is just insane. "It's like TB being able to get Kucherov and Point in 2nd and 3rd rounds" so then every 2nd and 3rd round picks who touch NHL ice are steals? He might end up being a huge steal, and maybe you believe that, but there's a LOT that still needs to be proven. He's a beauty and I really hope he succeeds. Imagine a first pair of Hutson + Reinbacher if both reach their potential, that would be great but the chances of that happening at the level fans hope are low.
Yes all habs fans think Hutson is Makar Poehling was gonna be Bossy and Kotkaniemi Lindros. We are all complete idiots who don't know anything about hockey.

I mean yes we have some of the dumbest fans in the world but why lump everybody together lol. If anything we probably have more knowledgeable fans than most teams around the world since we are so die hard about the sport. But why keep lumping the entire fanbase together like we are all inbred idiots ?

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
Yes all habs fans think Hutson is Makar Poehling was gonna be Bossy and Kotkaniemi Lindros. We are all complete idiots who don't know anything about hockey.

I mean yes we have some of the dumbest fans in the world but why lump everybody together lol. If anything we probably have more knowledgeable fans than most teams around the world since we are so die hard about the sport. But why keep lumping the entire fanbase together like we are all inbred idiots ?
I did say "habs fans" but I certainly didn't want to lump everyone in there. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
The point was undersized point producers. Butcher and Smith both had hot starts in terms of point production in the NHL too, but both ultimately couldn't hang. There is a real possibility that Hutson can't either. It is an unfortunate reality for any undersized dman.

Going into hutson's team at BU.

Dominick Fensore, David Farrance played that role at BU too.

Farrance had the exact same PPG his junior year as Hutson did. Is he in the NHL?

Again, hutson certainly has a higher ceiling, but the floor remains that, due to his lack size and physicality, he is unable to defend at the NHL level. Just the way it is with guys that size.

Casey has virtually identical point production overall this year.
Farrance played two years of university first - that was his 3rd season in the NCAA.

lets compare apples to apples... oh wait none of them compare to him production / age wise

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Farrance played two years of university first - that was his 3rd season in the NCAA.

lets compare apples to apples... oh wait none of them compare to him production / age wise
You again seem to misunderstand ceiling vs floor.

The offensive upside Lane Hutson has won't make a difference if his size, skating, positioning, and stickwork makes him unable to defend at the NHL level, as has happened to so many undersized dmen before. And so that gives him a very low floor. But the recent track record for BU dmen turning their college production into NHL success isn't great.

This isn't michigan churning out York, Quinn Hughes, Owen Power, Luke Hughes, Werenski, Trouba, etc

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
You again seem to misunderstand ceiling vs floor.

The offensive upside Lane Hutson has won't make a difference if his size, skating, positioning, and stickwork makes him unable to defend at the NHL level, as has happened to so many undersized dmen before. And so that gives him a very low floor. But the recent track record for BU dmen turning their college production into NHL success isn't great.

This isn't michigan churning out York, Quinn Hughes, Owen Power, Luke Hughes, Werenski, Trouba, etc
Do offensive defensemen not exist in the NHL? do they have to be the good at defending if they are capable of putting up 40-50 points + consistently?

undersized or not makes no difference if they can defend at a mediocre/passable level and put up points.

Similarly to Tyson Barrie / Quinn Hughes (was balls defensively for his first 150 ish games in the NHL)

His offensive ceiling is exactly what sets him apart from the others you mentioned. You play him as a sheltered 2nd pairing D and PP 1. no issues at all.

Reactions: viceroy

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Do offensive defensemen not exist in the NHL? do they have to be the good at defending if they are capable of putting up 40-50 points + consistently?

undersized or not makes no difference if they can defend at a mediocre/passable level and put up points.

Similarly to Tyson Barrie / Quinn Hughes (was balls defensively for his first 150 ish games in the NHL)
Yes they do, but they also often end up down in the AHL.

Quinn Hughes wasn't good defensively, but he was never awful defensively, simple below average. He was never unable to defend at the NHL level.

Barrie was again, bad, not awful defensively early, and bought himself enough leeway to remain in the NHL after becoming worse as he aged.

Again, this is the floor we're talking about, and you are bringing up Quinn Hughes. Legitimately be real if young Quinn Hughes is your example of Hutson's floor.

I think Hutson is incredibly high upside, and I expect him to be an excellent PP QB and offensive weapon for many years.

But again, given his physical limitations, the FLOOR is that he can't hang at the NHL level.

If he reaches his offensive ceiling and sucks defensively, that wouldn't be his floor. In fact that would be closer to his ceiling, considering you've had him reach his ceiling offensively and in your eyes still be a passable NHL defender.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
As much as people don't want to admit it, the floor remains an AHL all star type due to the lack of size. (I am prepared for a significant amount of people to not understand what floor means).

If he can't hang with NHLs size and speed, it's gonna be tough to keep him around.

Ty Smith, Will Butcher, Reilly Walsh come to mind from guys I know.

Undersized dmen with very good point production who just can't stick at the NHL level

I don't really think that moves the floor a whole lot from what I was suggesting.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
Yes they do, but they also often end up down in the AHL.

Quinn Hughes wasn't good defensively, but he was never awful defensively, simple below average. He was never unable to defend at the NHL level.

Barrie was again, bad, not awful defensively early, and bought himself enough leeway to remain in the NHL after becoming worse as he aged.

Again, this is the floor we're talking about, and you are bringing up Quinn Hughes. Legitimately be real if young Quinn Hughes is your example of Hutson's floor.

I think Hutson is incredibly high upside, and I expect him to be an excellent PP QB and offensive weapon for many years.

But again, given his physical limitations, the FLOOR is that he can't hang at the NHL level.

If he reaches his offensive ceiling and sucks defensively, that wouldn't be his floor. In fact that would be closer to his ceiling, considering you've had him reach his ceiling offensively and in your eyes still be a passable NHL defender.
You’re prefacing your argument by assuming Hutson is god awful defensively, he simply isn’t though that’s the thing. I understand your point but if you watched both games, he wasn’t the habs worst defensemen or something. He was already passable - and he’s 2 games in and 20 years old. Why would we assume he won’t improve at all defensively, especially from a say, mediocre level that he is at now you know?

He already looks like an NHL defensemen, albeit a very tiny sample size.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
You’re prefacing your argument by assuming Hutson is god awful defensively, he simply isn’t though that’s the thing. I understand your point but if you watched both games, he wasn’t the habs worst defensemen or something. He was already passable - and he’s 2 games in and 20 years old. Why would we assume he won’t improve at all defensively, especially from a say, mediocre level that he is at now you know?

He already looks like an NHL defensemen, albeit a very tiny sample size.
What part of the word floor are you struggling with?

His results defensively in college were nothing to write home about, and again the size, physicality, and skating plays a big part.

If you think Lane Hutson's floor defensively at the NHL level is average, I don't know what to tell you.

Jul 6, 2016
His NCAA production makes it ok to compare him to all-time draft steals already? He's very good, but do you realize who you're comparing him with? If you argue with my post it pretty much means you think he's at that level, and maybe you do, and that's what I find insane.
I was not comparing them production-wise. Just that some players with obvious skills are overlooked by many if not all organizations in the 1st and even the 2nd rounds. Could be their size or other factors that can be fixed. Hutson has the potential to become a very special player. He has succeeded at every level he played so far. And don’t tell me you were not impressed by his play and composure during the two games we saw against Detroit.

Realgud

Nov 4, 2013
I was not comparing them production-wise. Just that some players with obvious skills are overlooked by many if not all organizations in the 1st and even the 2nd rounds. Could be their size or other factors that can be fixed. Hutson has the potential to become a very special player. He has succeeded at every level he played so far. And don’t tell me you were not impressed by his play and composure during the two games we saw against Detroit.
Yes he was very good, and I've already said so. He's an excellent prospect and we'll see how it goes for him in the next few years.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Seems like a sure fire NHL'er so at least that's out of the way. Wonder if he can be more than a pure OFD
This is the question and it's too early to tell but i have my doubts that he will be a "star" unless one considered Tyson Barrie a star or Evan Bouchard one.

All usefull players with great offense but limitations.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
What part of the word floor are you struggling with?

His results defensively in college were nothing to write home about, and again the size, physicality, and skating plays a big part.

If you think Lane Hutson's floor defensively at the NHL level is average, I don't know what to tell you.
His floor in the NHL is what we just saw in the last two games - it’s mediocre.

His offense is what we just saw in the last two games - it’s already great

You don’t seem to understand lol

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
His floor in the NHL is what we just saw in the last two games - it’s mediocre.

His offense is what we just saw in the last two games - it’s already great

You don’t seem to understand lol
It really isn't. what we just saw in his last 2 games was simply a 2 game sample size at the NHL level.

You'd think a fanbase like Montreal wouldn't make sweeping claims on such tiny sample sizes after the Ryan Poehling stuff, but I guess not.

Lane Hutson will likely be an effective NHL defenseman.

He is still very high risk, with a very low floor due to his size and overall limited defensive tools.

If he can't develop into/play at an NHL caliber level defensively, and the offense doesn't translate enough to make up for that, there simply won't be a place for him in the NHL like so many undersized defenseman before. And that is okay. Prospects are a risk. No prospect, especially not an undersized prospect who has had struggles defending at the college level, is a sure thing.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
It really isn't. what we just saw in his last 2 games was simply a 2 game sample size at the NHL level.

You'd think a fanbase like Montreal wouldn't make sweeping claims on such tiny sample sizes after the Ryan Poehling stuff, but I guess not.

Lane Hutson will likely be an effective NHL defenseman.

He is still very high risk, with a very low floor due to his size and overall limited defensive tools.

If he can't develop into/play at an NHL caliber level defensively, and the offense doesn't translate enough to make up for that, there simply won't be a place for him in the NHL like so many undersized defenseman before. And that is okay. Prospects are a risk. No prospect, especially not an undersized prospect who has had struggles defending at the college level, is a sure thing.
Lane Hutson vs Ryan Poehling hype lol come on dude
IMG_2226.jpeg

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I’ve learned to enjoy Habs & Leafs prospects before they make the NHL, because once they reach the show they automatically get a 500 post main board thread that will make you hate them.

Reactions: FloJack

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I’ve learned to enjoy Habs & Leafs prospects before they make the NHL, because once they reach the show they automatically get a 500 post main board thread that will make you hate them.
This thread was not even started by a Habs (or a Leafs fan).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad