Lane Hutson Burgeoning Star Watch

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Bergevin is gone, we gucci.
The Canadiens as an organization has tried and often succeeded in stifling players, so I dunno if it was all on Bergevin. They are one of the most old guard organization out there, and I hope it is changing.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
The Canadiens as an organization has tried and often succeeded in stifling players, so I dunno if it was all on Bergevin. They are one of the most old guard organization out there, and I hope it is changing.
Gorton, hughes, St Louis, Adam Nicholas...big analytics dept....the habs have turned 180 degrees away from the idiot who ran the org for a decade

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
His skating is next level. He needs to mature and not overplay on defense, and just become a better defender.
His skating was very impressive. It was a strength.

I will say he improved his skating over the past 2 x seasons. But that's expected of an 18/19 year old.

In college the opposing teams didn't attack him when he had the puck. They tried to contain him by cutting off passing lanes or direct paths to scoring areas. I have a feeling NHL defenders will employ the same strategy.

The Detroit players attacked Lane and got burned due to the shake and bake.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Lots of teams are going to look back at their second round pick and wonder "why"?

Jul 6, 2016
Lots of teams are going to look back at their second round pick and wonder "why"?
Why ? They were all scared-shit to draft a 5'9 - 150 pounds d-man. Habs took a chance. It's like TB being able to get Kucherov and Point in 2nd and 3rd rounds, or Carolina with Aho, or Dallas with Robertson.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

It is. The current group has nothing to do with the last 30 year. It's been a very different approach.

Reactions: jrom and HabsQC

mlse2kk

Apr 8, 2022
He's projecting to be a future #1 LD. He lead the Terriers with 48 points as an 18 year old and followed it up with another phenomenal season. Excited to watch his career develop!

1713409850694.png

Reactions: Rozz

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Why ? They were all scared-shit to draft a 5'9 - 150 pounds d-man. Habs took a chance. It's like TB being able to get Kucherov and Point in 2nd and 3rd rounds, or Carolina with Aho, or Dallas with Robertson.
I am not clear your meaning (which means my comment was probably not clear enough).

My point was supposed to be that Hutson was a steal at 62nd overall. I expect a lot of GMs will kick themselves for not drafting him earlier in the round.

Jul 6, 2016
I am not clear your meaning (which means my comment was probably not clear enough).

My point was supposed to be that Hutson was a steal at 62nd overall. I expect a lot of GMs will kick themselves for not drafting him earlier in the round.
Yes he is a steal, like all the other players I named in my post. Point was considered small and weak. Aho, too. Kucherov is not a giant by any means.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Lmao now habs fans are comparing him to Point, Aho, Robertson and freaking Kucherov?

He's a beauty but let's wait until he plays more than 2 games before putting him with some of the biggest draft steals of all time.

Jul 6, 2016
Lmao now habs fans are comparing him to Point, Aho, Robertson and freaking Kucherov?

He's a beauty but let's wait until he plays more than 2 games before putting him with some of the biggest draft steals of all time.
I am NOT comparing Hutson to these guys. I am just saying that some players are overlooked even if they could had been 1st round picks like these guys, and Hutson should had been drafted before 62nd. Point burned the WHL and was a third rounder.

Reactions: MarioLeMoose

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
We've heard that the future is bright with a lot of franchises, including my own. Until it happens though, it's a nice collection of prospects.

Granted. Waitaminute! That's the Sens right? Geez I hope not.

Montreal going to hate Hutson if the zegras thread is an indication of what they dislike

You mean the guy most of us wanted? Depending on the price of course.

I'm just calling it as I see it. Stylistically they are very similar. And you should be excited to get someone of that level in the second round.

Just look at who's agreeing with you. I pretty much guarantee that if voight was supporting you it means it should be taken as a shot to the Habs.

It’s that weird stage in prospect development where everyone is scattered all over doing their various things so it’s tough to say one legitimate true “re-draft” order.

Put your big boy pants on and add tentatively to an honest assessment.

Habs should trade him to LA for PLD. We all know that's what PLD wants, right?

Why'd you bring in that slacker into the conversation?

Hahaha the hate paragraphs are actually hilarious. How can a franchise with no ppg players in 15 years be so rent free

Man those guys must've been fuming when we made the Stanley Cup Finals 2-3yrs ago. I guess they still are.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I was surprised the hate I was getting for that comparison.

Once again voight.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I think that is lane's floor if you mean a depth guy that bounces around.
As much as people don't want to admit it, the floor remains an AHL all star type due to the lack of size. (I am prepared for a significant amount of people to not understand what floor means).

If he can't hang with NHLs size and speed, it's gonna be tough to keep him around.

Ty Smith, Will Butcher, Reilly Walsh come to mind from guys I know.

Undersized dmen with very good point production who just can't stick at the NHL level

MarioLeMoose

Jul 15, 2022

I really don't think anybody is trying to compare Hutson to those players, aside from implying that draft steals can and do happen

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
As much as people don't want to admit it, the floor remains an AHL all star type due to the lack of size. (I am prepared for a significant amount of people to not understand what floor means).

If he can't hang with NHLs size and speed, it's gonna be tough to keep him around.

Ty Smith, Will Butcher, Reilly Walsh come to mind from guys I know.

Undersized dmen with very good point production who just can't stick at the NHL level
Except none of those players put up close to his level of production lol (Smith was somewhat close but playing in a significantly worse league)

1713459832187.png

1713459815313.png

1713459746784.png

1713459763862.png

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I really don't think anybody is trying to compare Hutson to those players, aside from implying that draft steals can and do happen
He could simply have been compared him to other small dmen who have been drafted in the 2nd+ but have shown incredible offensive potential and are still very young like Zellweger, Cagnoni, Casey or even Spence, Faber... still a lot to prove from these players despite the talent.

Habs fans need to pump the brakes on these young players. Caufield was supposed to score 40 goals "minimum" this season, Poehling was the next Bossy and Kotkaniemi the next Lindros. The NHL regular season is a gruelling 82 games marathon, so 2 games of Hutson showing what he can do is great but he's certainly not the first one to do so after signing their ELC. Heinola was supposed to be a future Norris winner after his first few games with the Jets.

The future is certainly bright but it's never, ever, a sure thing. Already saying he's a draft steal like Kucherov and Point is just insane. "It's like TB being able to get Kucherov and Point in 2nd and 3rd rounds" so then every 2nd and 3rd round picks who touch NHL ice are steals? He might end up being a huge steal, and maybe you believe that, but there's a LOT that still needs to be proven. He's a beauty and I really hope he succeeds. Imagine a first pair of Hutson + Reinbacher if both reach their potential, that would be great but the chances of that happening at the level fans hope are low.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad