Lane Hutson Burgeoning Star Watch

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
I think he carves out a career as a Marc-Andre Bergeron type.

People just throwing names around. MAB had a heavy shot and close to none hockey IQ.

From what i've seen so far, if anything, he's a new breed and doesn't compare to older players. I've been quite impressed so far. Who knows how good he will become, but let's remember he was a late 2nd round pick less than 2 years ago...

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Starting this thread early in honor of @LeProspector and his early thread calls.

Lane scored one billion points in junior and the NCAA. Two points in his first two NHL games and played over 20 minutes in both.

Some doubted if he had the size, skating, and defense for the NHL. None of that will matter because he will continue putting up points and will become one of the best offensive defenseman in the league.

If you are still doubting that after these first two games, you are fighting a losing battle.
Skill is there to do it yup. But we see

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
He definitely doesn't have the potential of a 1st round star like Braden Schneider but hey, we'll take what we can get

Last edited:

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Slaf, Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Newhook, and who ever else they draft this year Iginla? Does not suck... all very young and talented. Future is very bright.
I think Roy will be a decent NHLer too. Outside of that, it's slim for now. The team overall is still extremely green.

Reactions: Guess

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
He played great in his two games against the Wings this week. Should be a fun player to watch.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Both looked impressive. With Reinbacher on the way, Montreal has a very promising and stacked looking D group coming up.
His first assist was off a broken play, his second was so unimportant that it wasn't even registered in the official game stats but two points is still two points.
but let's not pretend he looked lost in the defensive zone and watching him skate backwards was very awkward looking. He was also on for 50% of the goals the wings scores 5on5.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Habs fans have been through so much shit with their top prospects in the past ten years that any glimmer of star talent gets blown up into reinventing the entire sport of hockey.
It is what it is. Probably the past 15-20 years though.

We are definitely not used to have a prospect that might project as a game breaker.

Reactions: stanley25

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
His first assist was off a broken play, his second was so unimportant that it wasn't even registered in the official game stats but two points is still two points.
but let's not pretend he looked lost in the defensive zone and watching him skate backwards was very awkward looking. He was also on for 50% of the goals the wings scores 5on5.
Yawn, kid is 20 y old playing his very first NHL games. He OBVIOUSLY isn't Norris candidate caliber yet.

Reactions: viceroy

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
His first assist was off a broken play, but he did create a lane to put puck towards the net, which resulted in a goal. Most other defensemen would not have been able to create the opening and would have sent the puck behind the net.

I don't understand your rationale on the 2nd assist. How was it unimportant? He evaded pressure and shot a puck at the net for a deflection and a goal. The goal was a direct result of his play with the puck.

He does have some things to work on behind his blue line; however, he has to learn the system too. Training camp should do wonders for him on that aspect.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
couldnt find a more pathetic post on here. Congrats! Just another Habs prospect basher looking for attention.

And I 100% would bet that you were the biggest Hughes defender for all his defensive criticism in his sophomore year. Am I right?

and here you are pointing out the defensive woes of a 20 year old kid in his 1st and 2nd NHL games, on top of downplaying his 2 assists. Way to go, man! You represent your fanbase well :clap:

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Lots of comments are going to age poorly. His deceptiveness, agility and hockey iq will make him a force for years to come. Still needs to add mass no doubt and improve parts of his defensive game but even those concerns are very overstated. He will eclipse 70+ points in a season several times over his career and I am very confident about that.

They couldn’t find an 80 point forward for 15 years so they decided to find a defenseman

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
He's literally Erik Brännström? I get 'new' things are exciting but c'mon now.
Pretty sure he's already beat Brannstrom's career highs without looking it up. While being 5 years younger. He and Mailloux are also 6th and 7th all time in points per game for dmen.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I understand that, although, I guarantee Hutson goes top 15 in a re-draft had GM's known he would be 5'10 today (was 5'8), let alone be a Hobey Baker finalist two straight years.

Im not saying Hutson will be Quinn Hughes.... it was just to say that its normal to have defensive awareness issues in your first few seasons (let alone your first 2 games!), as an undersized highly skilled Dman. Thats something you learn with experience. Even in NCAA he held his own in the corners against men using. Of course, the NHL is a different animal.

Heres to hoping he can add some pounds and adapt in years down the road.
I would say he would go at least top 6 in a re-draft.

Habs fans have been through so much shit with their top prospects in the past ten years that any glimmer of star talent gets blown up into reinventing the entire sport of hockey.
I think you are confusing us with Nucks fans. Because this is 100% nuck fans.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Hab fans are very loud and very passionate, so they have a tendency for moving the overton window of discussion related to their players. I see people bring up Tyson Barrie as a potential comparison, and some take that to be insulting/demeaning/condescending when it shouldn't be as Barrie has had a productive career. But the discussion gets hyper-sensationalized and thus the only valid comparison, without being mean, a hater or hurting someone's feelings, becomes someone like Quinn Hughes, who is about to win the Norris Trophy.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I was surprised the hate I was getting for that comparison.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Watched most of that game last night. Couple things I noticed: he is quite electric with the puck. He was in college too so not too surprising. He loves to juke and maneuver at the point. Good agility. Good ability to get point shots through.

Positioning and puck battles are still, imo, junior/college level. He is faster than I thought he'd be so he can make up for some of the positioning issues but the kid cannot defend and gets pushed off pucks like he's a toddler on skates. I think he should spend a lot of time in the AHL.
The skating was my biggest worry about him translating. I don't think he'll ever be anything physically, but the skating, at least in the small sample size, has been able to hold up at the NHL level, which is an excellent sign.

Reactions: Gustave

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad