Speculation: Lame Ducks

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dorion and the coaching staff are entering the last year of their contracts. Just wondering what people expect to happen.. Should we be expecting a Dorion extension soon or will Melnyk wait for some reason.. like he's the boss and he can get to it when he's damn well good and ready , knowing Dorion isn't going anywhere .

How about the coaches. They wouldn't let Capuano interview. Did they want to keep him in case Smith falters or is the scape goat in the team faltering. When do we see extensions for these guys. Is Melnyk playing the same wait and see game there. Are the coaches eager to re-sign here?

How will this effect the coaching decisions .. (win / develop) ?

Will this have an impact on the ability to make decisions (if that was ever possible) without Melnyk's ok?

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I assume they will likely all go into the season with their 1 year only and keeping them will be determined by the results next season.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
As long as sens are in the hunt still by Christmas I’d expect DJ to be extended. I don’t really care about the assistants, whatever DJ wants is good with me, unless Troy wants to come up as an assistant. He deserves that chance.

As for Pierre, frankly, with his many faults, I don’t think there’s anyone better who would be willing to work for Melnyk, so I’d have no problem with him being extended. Just pray he gets someone good to help with pro evaluation.

Reactions: xVolchenkov

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Unless Melnyk is ready for Peter McTavish to take over I dont see Pierre going anywhere. No one else is going to stake their reputation to be melnyks yes man

Reactions: Samboni

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Only thing I know....lame duck coaches only care about winning at all costs.

Not playing the kids.

No time for development.

No thought about the long-term viability and progression of the core.

Win now to save yer job.

So, I would definitely hope the situation is resolved over the summer. Either sign new deals over the summer, or bring in a new coaching staff.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This is what I think they will do not what I would do.

I expect that all or most of the managers will be extended, I also expect that Jack might get a clause written into his contract that if there is an opportunity for a HC job in the NHL that he would have an out clause written in this time. If no one else is offering any of these guys another NHL job why would they leave the NHL with the big salaries & cushy travel by planes.

They do need to have out clauses though written into their contracts should they ever want to go to greener pastures when the opportunity presents itself, as it did recently for Jack. I think the org is too cheap to bring in a better GM/coaching staff at this time & will roll with this staff until such time as the team shows they are ready to contend IF it becomes apparent that the coaching staff is what is holding them back.

PD - extended
DJ - extended
JC - extended

Last edited:

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Dorion prompted to President of Hockey Ops. 4 year deal
Trent Mann promoted to GM. 5 year deal.
Troy Man promoted Assistant Coach. 2 year deal.
DJ gets a 2 year extension.

Predictions.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Melnyk probably enjoys his new found powers too much to consider canning Dorion for the foreseeable future. Unless he finds another GM willing to be a doormat Dorion stays.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dorion prompted to President of Hockey Ops. 4 year deal
Trent Mann promoted to GM. 5 year deal.
Troy Man promoted Assistant Coach. 2 year deal.
DJ gets a 2 year extension.

Predictions.
TitleVideo_V6-1.gif

Reactions: Que

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Dorion better be careful he doesn’t get sued because technically he should be delivering on unprecedented success.

My thoughts. No extensions - Dorion signs this winter, DJ Smith doesn’t get a contract and is hired as the Winnipeg head coach next summer

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Dorion better be careful he doesn’t get sued because technically he should be delivering on unprecedented success.

My thoughts. No extensions - Dorion signs this winter, DJ Smith doesn’t get a contract and is hired as the Winnipeg head coach next summer

Attaboy Tuna ,

Don't hold back on that visionary stuff.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
I believe that rebuild plan is on track and if team performs decently we will see extensions after the new year around trade deadline time if we are fighting for a wild card spot.

If we are at the bottom of the standings again, EM will start to freak out and we may see shift in the plans.

I think this will be a pivotable year in the rebuild no extensions should be given out until we see how PD and DJ perform this year.

I don't think PD has to do much to keep his job draft well and bring in a d-man and or #1 center...lol... If he can fix the Daddy, Murray, White issues and get a nice return on Tierney that will earn him a extension.

DJ needs be using all of the talent we have and get wins and make sure we are our prospects take then step in their development. He will need a strong start to the season and be in the mix for a playoff spot early in the season.

All else fails I think we have the Mann brothers ready to fill the shoes of anyone who can't get the job done.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Has Melnyck ever given a coach an extension? Don’t think so. DJ would be the first, deserves one now, players and GM love him, he’s been cheaper out on and his assistants are frustrated with ownership.

The fact nobody has an extension and Melnyck has been singing the praises of the rebuild is exactly why the Senators get made fun of

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Has Melnyck ever given a coach an extension? Don’t think so. DJ would be the first, deserves one now, players and GM love him, he’s been cheaper out on and his assistants are frustrated with ownership.

The fact nobody has an extension and Melnyck has been singing the praises of the rebuild is exactly why the Senators get made fun of

DJ does deserve one as the players are super tight with him. I think they need to get Mann as a assistant up here really fast in case they make a move.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

The fact that extensions are not in place yet is no big deal. There is still plenty of time between draft and TC to get something done.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F
Teams that rebuild typically bring in another GM to finish the job.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we move on from GMPD, but Smith gets a 1 year extension.

If Sens don’t come close to making playoffs in the next 2 years, Mann will take over.

Add coach to that as well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

We extended MacLean 3 years after he won the Jack Adams in his second year. Nobody else has really deserved an extension since.

Maybe DJ can earn his this coming season, I think he's on the right path so far.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
so generally favorable review then?
Hard to say. Dorion, like Murray before him, has to do the job handcuffed. Unless the Manns are indeed taking over I don't think Dorion is going anywhere. Whomever they hire will have to work under the same conditions.

Reactions: Emrasie

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
The only people that I see coming in and taking over Pierres and Smiths jobs are internal hires.

No one externally is gonna want to come in and work with such a volatile owner.

I see the Mann brothers eventually taking the reigns.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Depends what the Melnyk mandate is to GMPD. Does he really expect a #1C and top pair D? If Dorion delivers on what Melnyk wants I see him getting an extension early in the New Year.

Similar for DJ. If the team comes out of the gate playing well, consistently competes and the kids look like they have progressed he prob gets an extension early in New Year too.

I do hope there is some plan to get the Mann bros in the fold though and that they are privy to it...that alone could bring org stability we haven't enjoyed in many years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00