Lalonde & Yzerman 2023-24 Detroit Red Wings End of Season Media Availability

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
Could petry just retire? Like half the games he kinda trys? Dude was good at one time but i think he spends to much time watching his great grandkids. Then matta traded and sign a rd. Could use a tough scoring forward and a play driving center. Sucks we signed copp and compher to be 2 our 2cs. Oops. Hope one of the kid centers is ready next year I guess. could really use a tough winger that can finish. Elmer wtf happened.... may Mazar maybe a fa?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I did no such thing. My comment about digging out from the hole Holland left was about why people aren't all over Yzerman for it being 5 years into the rebuild. I wasn't talking about Holl.

I'm not interested in relitigating the Holland era. He's gone. Get over it.

I think this year it's a nothing burger because he could sit in the press box, play if absolutely needed and didn't have a negative impact on cap space because there was room.

I'm not sure that will be the case in the next couple years. That $3.4 million and roster spot will matter more.

I'm really not worried going forward, either. None of the guys people have been writing pages about are immovable. And if Yzerman really felt making the roster space was necessary, someone would find themselves in GR rather than the pressbox. I see our cap structure set up to do one of two things going forward: either kids will slide into those spots opened up by the departures of Fabbri, Sprong, Maata, Holl, Ghost, etc., or Yzerman will have the cap space to go shopping for another 2-3 year stop gap.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
A lot of people just realized the hole he had to dig out of from Holland and the lack of a first overall pick during a strong draft year.

Maybe take your own advice? At least own what you said.

Wait, do you really think this is some sort of gotcha? lol. Can you really not see how this could be a comment about the general criticism of Yzerman?

It's a refutation of your comment about how unfairly your boy Holland was treated:

Yzerman is given so much more patience and forgiveness for bad signings that Holland or any GM would never be afforded because of his on ice history.

I thought that would be obvious given the context and that Yzerman signed Holl last season but I guess I underestimated your ability to misconstrue what I've said.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The Holl contract on its own doesn't really matter.

Once you add up Holl, Petry, Maatta, Copp, Husso, Chiarot, Perron you end up with 27 million in contracts for guys whose performances are literally replacement level. Guys like Husso and Holl who earned a combined 8 million this year and barely even played. 27 million that is doing nothing except making it harder to bring guys up, give guys the time they deserve, and/or sign better players. If you had the 8 million dollars from Holl/Copp available you could chase Reinhart, Marchessault, or Lindholm in the off-season.

Petry, Maatta, Husso are all out next year, and Chiarot seems to be improving, but we are stuck with Copp and Holl and that's why they are getting the attention.

wait, are you seriously suggesting we give any of those guys $8m per year?

Chris Langlois

Jan 31, 2022
Some interesting points I noticed:
- lalonde mentioned he talked to steve about maybe wanting to shake things up and call younger players up during the season (specifically ed). Ultimately at the time steve shut him down. I wonder how early this was
- steve admitted he's been conservative with the prospects and doesn't seem to be wavering on that. Though he did say albert JO and berg should be regulars next year if they earn it which he thinks they will
- steve mentioned how kane was clearly guarded in his end of season presser and said he expects to talk to his agent and go from there. Hopefully steve can sell things to kane in terms of prospects coming up and such
- steve talked about changing seiders usage next season so he's not always getting super hard minutes. I assume this is because they have full trust in Ed to allow them to split those hard minutes
-steve talked about (a few times) how it's on the coaching staff to install a more defensive mindset amongst the players. I feel that this is a leash lalonde is now on and if the defensive play does not improve (or as massive slumps like this year) than lalonde will be done.
- I was annoyed that no one in the media asked tough questions about holl signing, copp signing

Reactions: Filppula

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
Some interesting points I noticed:
- lalonde mentioned he talked to steve about maybe wanting to shake things up and call younger players up during the season (specifically ed). Ultimately at the time steve shut him down. I wonder how early this was
- steve admitted he's been conservative with the prospects and doesn't seem to be wavering on that. Though he did say albert JO and berg should be regulars next year if they earn it which he thinks they will
- steve mentioned how kane was clearly guarded in his end of season presser and said he expects to talk to his agent and go from there. Hopefully steve can sell things to kane in terms of prospects coming up and such
- steve talked about changing seiders usage next season so he's not always getting super hard minutes. I assume this is because they have full trust in Ed to allow them to split those hard minutes
-steve talked about (a few times) how it's on the coaching staff to install a more defensive mindset amongst the players. I feel that this is a leash lalonde is now on and if the defensive play does not improve (or as massive slumps like this year) than lalonde will be done.
- I was annoyed that no one in the media asked tough questions about holl signing, copp signing

You seem to be keen on hearing:

-...Copp had really good season taking pride in shutting down opponent's best lines and being one of the best defensive forwards
-...Holl hat a difficult season adjusting to a new team, but we hope we see an improvement next year, where he will be an important contributor to this team.

I don't think those questions are tough for a person who answered different questions on varying stupidity his whole life.

And i'm pretty sure, nobody within Red Wings' brass thinks Copp was a bad signing and i kind of agree with them.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Disappointing that it seems that the defence won't be changed. Hope this is just Yzerman being coy and not giving away something bigger. Got to be honest, I am fine with us doing worse next year, but with kids playing and learning. If we are running back most of the vets we have, that will be majorly disappointing.

I don't actually think we should bring Kane back as he will want more money and he isn't going to be here for much longer anyhow. I think we should let the kids play, as we are supposed to be rebuilding yet we have mostly non prospects in our lineup. It doesn't make sense to be a rebuilding team that has most of the key spots filled by vets.

I have a feeling Perron will get a new deal, and I absolutely don't want him back. He is mostly useless on ice at 5 on 5, and is only getting slower. Doubt he will, but hoping Petry decides to call it a day, as him playing nearly as much as Seider is ridiculous. Way too many nights where he and Seider both played just over 20 minutes, not sure at all what Lalonde sees in Petry to give him that much ice time.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
wait, are you seriously suggesting we give any of those guys $8m per year?
No, Lindholm is worth 7, but someone will pay him 7.5. Marchessault I would top at 6.5.

Reinhart scored 92 points this year with 57 goals, and had 82 points two seasons ago. He easily gets 8.5 on the market, maybe even more. Not sure I would personally pay him that much.

Regardless, it's not an option for the Wings because we have 8 million tied up in two players who do more for the team from the press box. The team probably has enough cap to fill the holes on the roster and sign another bad veteran who will be played a line higher than they should be.

Next year Petry, Husso, and Maatta come off...but we'll still have good old Copp and Holl sucking up almost 10% of the cap and taking roster spots and time that could be going to Wallinder, Kasper, or Danielson.

For those defending Copp's play, his Corsi, Fenwick, and PDO have been the worst in his career the two years he's spent in Detroit. Guy signed a big contract and turned to shit. Remember when the Bruins signed Lapointe to a huge deal and his career died? Same story.

Last edited:

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Sorry, he just seems like Ken Holland 2.0. He signed way too many old vets, Petry, Holl, Compher, Copp, to longer terms. These were the guys who were supposed to provide leadership and were AWOL when Larkin went out. We're stuck with bad contracts and can't get anyone of substance to help. He's struck out on goaltending at every turn and we're stuck with a useless Husso for several more years. Save for a hot start, DeBrincant was largely a non factor. Fans griping about Sprong, but he scored 18 goals as a 4th liner. Gostisbehere was decent, but can't afford to re-sign him. Same with Kane. If Holland had done this, there'd be a mutiny. Hired a coach that couldn't motivate a starving kid to eat. Playoffs are less of a possibility next season. I don't get all the Yzerman defenders.
The difference is Yzerman signed vets to let the kids develop properly. Yzerman has a host of prospects coming and some of them will be ready. By the time we actually need the cap space it will be available. The rookies cost league minimum

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Serious question:

Chiarot got better this year - do we know that Holl or Petry can't get better?
Get better? No.

Petry is toast, the game is getting too fast for his current ability and his instincts aren't in touch with the play anymore. He simply can't do the things he used to and when he's in that situation he, I don't wanna say panics, but doesn't know what to do.

Holl could play his role as a 7 D better, but I'm not expecting him to turn into a 4. I was expecting him to be comfortable in a bottom pair role and be relatively okay, boy was i wrong.

Reactions: dalem177

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Get better? No.

Petry is toast, the game is getting too fast for his current ability and his instincts aren't in touch with the play anymore. He simply can't do the things he used to and when he's in that situation he, I don't wanna say panics, but doesn't know what to do.

Holl could play his role as a 7 D better, but I'm not expecting him to turn into a 4. I was expecting him to be comfortable in a bottom pair role and be relatively okay, boy was i wrong.

This is what I was hoping for as well. That with fewer minutes as a #5/6 guy he'd play better.

I guess there's a small chance that could still happen but I'm not getting my hopes up.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Whenever Lalonde has a long presser he eases my concerns on him. I still hate his we shouldn't be here shtick but he seems like he's well aware of how certain players are performing and wants to get young guys in. He's not perfect by any means but he's not a terrible coach. Whether Kane stays or not we're going to have a young, exciting team next year with Berggren and Edvinsson playing big roles. I think next year is a big opportunity for Berggren to keep a top 6 job.

Reactions: wings95

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Yzerman isn't going UFA shopping.... unless a young future core UFA falls in his lap (doubtful). He might make trades that make sense. Yzerman is always playing chess, so who knows.

I really like Husso - people forget how good he is. I think when he gets healthy and starts popping, he's going to be a huge addition to the team. Husso/Lyon combo next season will be just fine.

It's possible Yzerman finds a desperate team who takes Holl. He needs to get rid of him not so much for cap relief, but for a roster spot.

Berg and Albert Johansson will be on the team. Albert will probably take Holl's spot until he proves himself. All the pressure is on him. Yzerman said he isn't handing anyone a job, so Albert must steal someone's job.

Sprong likely gone. And/or maybe Fabbri gets traded. Bergy will be expected to replace one of those guys production. Berg could also be on the trade block. But I suspect a tweener will be traded at some point.

Yzerman is banking on Seider and Raymond to put up more points and be game breakers. If they are getting paid Larkin money, then they better well produce and take over games! More is expected out of them.

Yzerman will re-sign ghost if it makes sense.

Kane is most likely gone.

Yzerman drew a line in the sand with Laldone. He must improve team defense. He's on notice and he knows what is at stake for him... and he knows he will be let go if he does not deliver.

Red Wings are not expected to make the playoffs until 2026. Once 2026 comes, all the pressure is on to be a playoff team.

When you listen to these guys in charge talk, and look at contract, you can see the story. Yzerman is a very well organized man and is three steps ahead - he's a chess player. Most fans here can't see it. They are critics because they are short sighted and have no vision. It's all doom and gloom for them, which is sad to have to live that way for no reason.

One thing I will say about Yzerman (good or bad) is he has a lot of confidence in both his drafting and his trading prowess. He is counting his chickens before the eggs hatch. He think he has his core and he thinks he has some kids in the system (or yet to be drafted/trade acquired) that will eventually join the team and be future game breaking core players.

The train is moving forward. You can hop on or hope off. But I regress, this train is in motion. Just because you may not have confidence with the prospects in the system doesn't mean Yzerman doesn't. He's already 3 steps ahead. Fasten your seatbelt and get ready for takeoff.

Reactions: LongTimeDRWF

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I agree in that the plan is coming to its conclusion. This season was likely filling in a few positions here and there, letting the coaches get their feet under them, see how Larkin, Seider and Raymond develop, and making sure the prospects are on track. I think everything is trending well, although I'd like to see a little more from the coaches and a little more grit from the team. But we almost made the playoffs without that being an expectation.

Next season is where it gets interesting. Bringing some kids up to improve the team will be helpful. The coaches with a more solid system. But more importantly, the expectation that we're a playoff team from the start. I think we make it into the playoffs next season and take our lumps and that gives one final chance for Yzerman to swap out some parts that aren't working and then, the season after that... well, we should be a dangerous playoff team. Then Yzerman can iterate and tune and, most importantly, keep the cupboard stocked with talent to sustain success.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Could petry just retire? Like half the games he kinda trys? Dude was good at one time but i think he spends to much time watching his great grandkids. Then matta traded and sign a rd. Could use a tough scoring forward and a play driving center. Sucks we signed copp and compher to be 2 our 2cs. Oops. Hope one of the kid centers is ready next year I guess. could really use a tough winger that can finish. Elmer wtf happened.... may Mazar maybe a fa?
If I was at the LCA and a "Petry retire" chant started, I wouldn't be able to speak for weeks.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
No, Lindholm is worth 7, but someone will pay him 7.5. Marchessault I would top at 6.5.

Reinhart scored 92 points this year with 57 goals, and had 82 points two seasons ago. He easily gets 8.5 on the market, maybe even more. Not sure I would personally pay him that much.

Regardless, it's not an option for the Wings because we have 8 million tied up in two players who do more for the team from the press box. The team probably has enough cap to fill the holes on the roster and sign another bad veteran who will be played a line higher than they should be.

Next year Petry, Husso, and Maatta come off...but we'll still have good old Copp and Holl sucking up almost 10% of the cap and taking roster spots and time that could be going to Wallinder, Kasper, or Danielson.

For those defending Copp's play, his Corsi, Fenwick, and PDO have been the worst in his career the two years he's spent in Detroit. Guy signed a big contract and turned to shit. Remember when the Bruins signed Lapointe to a huge deal and his career died? Same story.

LaPointe should also be looked at as another guy who had a big year right before free agency. Like it looks like Reinhart and Marchesseault are doing. I really doubt either are putting up the goal numbers they put up this season...well, until maybe the next time they are about to hit free agency. If you're pushing for us to shed Copp, etc. just to overpay another middling free agent, you're just setting yourself up to have something more to be angry about.

In the end, none of these vets are blocking kids if Yzerman actually wants them in Detroit. I think we got this answer in Yzerman's presser where he intimated that some guys just weren't getting called up this year. My guess the same answer is going to be pretty true next year. Even if it might help Detroit in the short term, Yzerman is looking at doing what he feels is right for the kids and the organization in the long term.

Copp, specifically, he got 16 minutes a night eating tough minutes with Rasmussen and Fischer. What are his numbers expected to be at that point? He was never a great advanced stat guy, and a 25 to 30 point guy in Winny until he got way more minutes and significant time on the power play. IMO, we're getting what Copp is. And I think it is generally what you get in UFA.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
LaPointe should also be looked at as another guy who had a big year right before free agency. Like it looks like Reinhart and Marchesseault are doing. I really doubt either are putting up the goal numbers they put up this season...well, until maybe the next time they are about to hit free agency. If you're pushing for us to shed Copp, etc. just to overpay another middling free agent, you're just setting yourself up to have something more to be angry about.

In the end, none of these vets are blocking kids if Yzerman actually wants them in Detroit. I think we got this answer in Yzerman's presser where he intimated that some guys just weren't getting called up this year. My guess the same answer is going to be pretty true next year. Even if it might help Detroit in the short term, Yzerman is looking at doing what he feels is right for the kids and the organization in the long term.

Copp, specifically, he got 16 minutes a night eating tough minutes with Rasmussen and Fischer. What are his numbers expected to be at that point? He was never a great advanced stat guy, and a 25 to 30 point guy in Winny until he got way more minutes and significant time on the power play. IMO, we're getting what Copp is. And I think it is generally what you get in UFA.
I agree Copp isn't going anywhere though I'd like to hope/think that SY will add some scoring punch to our top 6 as its clearly lacking.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
If it's not through trade, I would expect a guy we can sign for 2-4 years and around $5m. I think that's what makes Kane so appealing. I think he checks all of the boxes.
Yeah Kane fits the bill in alot of ways... I just dont think we can run both Kane and Perron back given age and foot speed. I think Perron is resigning for sure..

Either way It'll be interesting to see how we fold in some youth while subsequently improving overall...

Reactions: Winger98

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
- Re-sign Mo to all the monies
- Have Ed up full-time
- Have AlJo up full-time
- Re-sign Ghost
- Walman, Chiarot, and Petry (cuz let’s be honest, Petry ain’t going anywhere) remain on the roster
- Trade Holl, with salary retention if necessary (I’m sure it is)
- Trade Maatta
- Coach these guys to be better defensively

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
Sorry, he just seems like Ken Holland 2.0. He signed way too many old vets, Petry, Holl, Compher, Copp, to longer terms. These were the guys who were supposed to provide leadership and were AWOL when Larkin went out. We're stuck with bad contracts and can't get anyone of substance to help. He's struck out on goaltending at every turn and we're stuck with a useless Husso for several more years. Save for a hot start, DeBrincant was largely a non factor. Fans griping about Sprong, but he scored 18 goals as a 4th liner. Gostisbehere was decent, but can't afford to re-sign him. Same with Kane. If Holland had done this, there'd be a mutiny. Hired a coach that couldn't motivate a starving kid to eat. Playoffs are less of a possibility next season. I don't get all the Yzerman defenders.
CapFriendly is, well, your friend in this case. The team has loads of financial freedom coming up, starting after next season. Contracts are staggered, where kids should be pushing for spots as we thin out the vets.

This is BS. Have you even seen Holland's signings?
If you scroll all the way down on the cap friendly page, you can even see one still haunting our cap. It's like in Top Gear and the Grand Tour where they always have some beaten car following them on whatever trip cross country they are on.

cvaicunas

Aug 25, 2021
It sounds like the classic case of a coach saying "we need help winning now!" and the GM saying "It's more important these kids turn into good NHLers in the future."
I've said it before, I have to think Yzerman's time in the NHL, and the manner in which those teams dealt with young players, had to influence his thought process as well. Granted those teams were stacked, but you would think he would be in tune with what is best for both player and organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad