News Article: #LAKings among finalists for free agent Yale goalie Alex Lyon(UPD: Signs with Philly)

kingskring

Dec 3, 2012
According to a Sportsnet report, the Los Angeles Kings have emerged from a group of suitors and are among the finalists to land the services of free agent goaltender Alex Lyon, who had previously been reported by the New Haven Register to be foregoing his senior season at Yale. The 23-year-old could be making a decision in the next 48 hours, according to Elliotte Friedman’s report on Sportsnet last night. The Edmonton Oilers are also among the suitors for Lyon’s services.

The Kings had put together a comprehensive package over the past two weeks as part of the culmination of their recruiting attempts. Part of the appeal of signing with Los Angeles is that the club’s goaltending depth is perilously thin, given the New York Islanders’ waiver claim on J-F Berube, Patrik Bartosak’s suspension and legal status following 12 “domestic related charges†and Alec Dillon’s two hip surgeries that have derailed his 19-year-old junior hockey season with WHL-Edmonton. Ontario Reign All-Star goaltender Peter Budaj signed a one-year extension last month to counteract some of the depth challenges the team has experienced in net this season.

more at linko
http://lakingsinsider.com/2016/04/03/report-la-among-finalists-for-fa-yale-goalie-alex-lyon/

Last edited by a moderator:

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
This would be a huge addition. Just have to beat out the ... um ... Oilers.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
He'd be crazy not to sign with the Kings considering their track record of goalie development, plus he'd be virtually the only goalie prospect in the system.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was hoping this when I heard he was available, and you would think our development system would be a good selling point, but being potentially stuck behind Quick could be a sticking point, and the Oilers are on their way up as well as have a path to a starting job....

Cool to hear we're at least a finalist though, potentially could be a coup!

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I was hoping this when I heard he was available, and you would think our development system would be a good selling point, but being potentially stuck behind Quick could be a sticking point, and the Oilers are on their way up as well as have a path to a starting job....

Hopefully he has some foresight and realizes what a job the Kings do with developing goaltenders, and he's not ready to be a starter right now anyway.

Hopefully.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013

It worked as a springboard to a starting job for Bernier and Jones. Plus the Oilers destroy goalies.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
It worked as a springboard to a starting job for Bernier and Jones. Plus the Oilers destroy goalies.

Yeah, quite honestly if this kid wants to actually develop into an NHL goaltender, he'd be nuts to not choose the Kings. He may never be the #1 for the Kings, but he'll be NHL ready for some team.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
This could be a nice signing for the Kings. We're in desperate need for a goalie proosect. And he's put up really good numbers! Hopefully, that Yale education comes into play. Sean Backman is a Yale alumni. Have him make a call.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Lyon King

Kings management, player personnel staff, scouting staff, player development staff:

"Never ly(on)ing down on the job." :D :shakehead :)

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Yeah, quite honestly if this kid wants to actually develop into an NHL goaltender, he'd be nuts to not choose the Kings. He may never be the #1 for the Kings, but he'll be NHL ready for some team.

You could also add Beruebe and Zatkof to the list of developed goalies who have played in the NHL.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Signed with the Flyers: http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=877273

The Philadelphia Flyers have signed 6-1, 200-lb goaltender Alex Lyon to an entry-level contract, according to general manager Ron Hextall.

Lyon, 23 (12/9/1992), recently completed his third season at Yale University. He posted a record of 19-8-4 with a 1.64 goals-against average and a .936 save percentage, along with five shutouts, to help Yale reach the 2016 NCAA East Regional after a second-place finish in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference (ECAC). Lyon led the ECAC in goals-against average and save percentage for the second year in a row, while finishing third in win percentage.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Wouldn't have guessed Philadelphia since they have a few goalies in the pipeline. I suppose they could have sold Lyon on the fact that both Mason/Neuvirth are UFAs after next season.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Wouldn't have guessed Philly. Their goalies over the last few years haven't been the best developed and the press is murder on them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad