Lakers hire Luke Walton

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Wow. I wonder what he's getting paid. I thought he was just a stand-in for Kerr and didn't do much himself but we'll find out.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't really know why but I like it. I think taking a chance on him and seeing what he can do is better than going with one of the old retreads. Just need to get an experienced staff around him.

Plus, it can't get much worse than Scott. I was worried for their young players for a minute after people started talking about him possibly staying on for another season.

Lakers are going to give Harrison Barnes the max this summer, aren't they?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i like it

he'll help attract FA's and he's a fresh new face. not the typical recycled head coaches the lakers tend to hire

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
They key is going to be surrounding him with veteran assistants. Like GS did with Kerr's first season. Luke isn't completely incompetent, so while he did have a top notch roster, he was solid.

I like this move for the Lakers.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Doesn't seem like that long ago he was playing for Arizona. Now he is an NBA coach, and coach of arguably the most famous NBA team ever to boot. Damn time flies.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
How is that move going to attract FAs?

Luke is unproven as a HC

because he's a young coach that can relate to players better than a lot of these dinosaurs roaming the sidelines. coming from the warriors helps out a ton as well

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
The Lakers friendly media are being mostly positive about the signing. But there are those questioning it as well. The NBA is a really strange league. This is a whatever signing for the Lakers. They need PLAYERS.

Nothing will change without personnel. Coaching isn't going to fix the mess, and I honestly have no idea what Walton has accomplished aside from being a stand in on the best team in the league for half a season. The guy was pretty irrelevant before then. Good luck I guess.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
How is that move going to attract FAs?

Luke is unproven as a HC

He played in the league as recently as 3 years ago so he is familiar with how the current game is played, and knows a lot of players as a result. they know he's young and willing to listen, as opposed to a fossil like George Karl.

Plus if P-Jax leaves the Knicks next summer and joins the Lakers as President (like many expect him to), he will already have a coach he likes. (Jackson helped Walton get into coaching)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad