Confirmed Trade: [LAK/FLA] Cole Krygier for future considerations

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I thought we had a trade deadline ?

Trade deadline is just the deadline for a player to be playoff eligible. A few years back, Boston had some injuries in net post-deadline and they were still jockeying for playoff seeding. So they ended up signing Marty Turco off the scrap heap and played him in a handful of games. Turco wasn't playoff eligible. Occasionally there'll be trades involving NHL players during the playoffs.

With the NCAA hockey bracket announced yesterday, we'll probably see a few more guys sign soon now that their seasons are over. Michigan State was on the bubble, but now that they're officially out perhaps Krygier wanted to turn pro and get some AHL games this season? Florida might not have been interested in signing him to the required 2 year ELC, so maybe they did him a solid and traded him to a team that would use him?

Reactions: Cheech89

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
He would have become a UFA after this year anyway, maybe he was unwilling to sign?

My own speculation, but I think Florida might not have been interested in signing him to a 2 year ELC (he was a pick of the previous regime). They already have 5 LD possibly signed for the AHL next season (Nause-Staios-Uens-Sjalin-Kiersted). So they could have done Krygier a favor and moved him to a team where he could get some AHL games this season rather than having to wait until August to sign.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
My own speculation, but I think Florida might not have been interested in signing him to a 2 year ELC (he was a pick of the previous regime). They already have 5 LD possibly signed for the AHL next season (Nause-Staios-Uens-Sjalin-Kiersted). So they could have done Krygier a favor and moved him to a team where he could get some AHL games this season rather than having to wait until August to sign.

My guess is he is going to be one of those borderline guys who some teams might think is worthy of an NHL contract and others might not. Florida may have had no intention of signing him and found a team that would either sign him outright or at least give him an ATO with a shot to impress. I think since it's a FC deal, that is likely what happened here. If he signs with LA it will probably be a 6th or 7th round pick, if he doesn't both teams just move on. It's a win/win/win, Krygier agrees to an ATO with the chance to not only try and impress the Kings, but also some other NHL teams if the Kings decide to pass. The Kings get exclusive negotiating rights until August if they like him, and Florida gets a 7th rounder if LA signs him, and if they don't it's the same result anyways.

The Kings needed to get bigger and a bit tougher on the farm. I think this move achieves that goal if he signs.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
It’s that time of year teams start sharing lists of players they won’t be signing. Just to see if maybe they can recoup a pick. Most of these players have already been told they won’t be signed, and in a way, are already looking forward to finding a spot more suitable for themselves. In most cases the player isn’t on anyone else’s radar either.

The NHL really is the only sport where there’s a considerable amount of their managers who try helping a kid (they have no plans for) find a place to play.

It’s rare to see what’s happened here though.. That a team bit in one of these. Teams just don’t have the room mostly. Sometimes we’ll see another team’s AHL affiliate give these players an ATO but I can’t even think of a case those type of players ever ended up signing with the new team, prompting a trade for his rights. At least with an NHL contract.

So in this case, there’s likely a connection to a scout, coach or manager who likes the kid enough to take it one step further. It’s now likely he gets an ATO with Ontario before they decide to sign him. If they are just intent on signing him without an ATO, good for him. It’s really rare though. We have to assume they’ll end up sending a late pick to Florida if he’s signed.

Reactions: David Lunch

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
My guess is he is going to be one of those borderline guys who some teams might think is worthy of an NHL contract and others might not. Florida may have had no intention of signing him and found a team that would either sign him outright or at least give him an ATO with a shot to impress. I think since it's a FC deal, that is likely what happened here. If he signs with LA it will probably be a 6th or 7th round pick, if he doesn't both teams just move on. It's a win/win/win, Krygier agrees to an ATO with the chance to not only try and impress the Kings, but also some other NHL teams if the Kings decide to pass. The Kings get exclusive negotiating rights until August if they like him, and Florida gets a 7th rounder if LA signs him, and if they don't it's the same result anyways.

The Kings needed to get bigger and a bit tougher on the farm. I think this move achieves that goal if he signs.

If the trade included a conditional 6th or 7th to Columbus if Krygier signs then they would have announced the conditional pick in the deal, not Future Considerations.

Future Considerations are not conditional picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad