Confirmed Signing with Link: [LAK] F Phillip Danault signs with the Kings (6 years, $5.5M AAV)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Give me a break. This surprises me too but 26 goals is A LOT better than those years.

Yeah, I said points and he goes on to look at points and ignores the goals. I then pointed out the goals and he says... you said points. Typical HF board nit picking on stupid stuff.

There is no way to spin it. It's Danault's best offensive season.

Reactions: deaderhead28

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Possession stats at all strengths are meaningless and shouldn't be used.

Anyway, the main reason I brought up points is his points totals were already super clearly in better than 3C territory. Maybe he's doing even better, but he was already more.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
You're right, it's my point. But you asked me how and I told you. Usage is a big deal and our fan base didn't value him.

Terrible finisher? I've heard that said towards Lehkonen as well who was bounced all over our roster and counted on as a 200' winger with defensive responsibility as well. 4 goals in 11 games with the Avs so far with PP time? Go figure eh.
Lehkonen at least showed a good wrister in his rookie year so we knew he could score if put in the position to do so. But do you see him score twice more goals than his career high next year? The jump Danault's had is a big one and that goes beyond usage. That's why I was asking how, does he actually possess a shot that we somehow never had in Montreal, is it luck, is it his teammates or what?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Possession stats at all strengths are meaningless and shouldn't be used.

Anyway, the main reason I brought up points is his points totals were already super clearly in better than 3C territory. Maybe he's doing even better, but he was already more.

Possession stats at all strengths are meaningless and shouldn't be used. :laugh:

Reactions: BringTheReign

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
26 pour 24 . Next C for the Kings. Wish we find a couple more gems this offseason like Danault.

Reactions: mysterman2

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
OK wait a minute. Danault plays for the habs for 5 years, never scored more then 13 goals as his high point and 5 as a low point. now he scores 26 ???? that makes me think he never gave his best as a HAB, WOW Good for LA at least until Danault starts playing like a HAB again. SO is this year pure luck? or has Danault shown he was just phoning it in for 5 years as a Hab.

What a typically putrid take from a "fellow" Habs fan. Wow.

He did EVERYTHING defensively for the Habs, playing against the top lines in all situations and did great with it.

Last year:
(when all plahying together, the Gally-Danault-Tatar line as 18-3 in goals for/against)

The year prior:
(here he's +21 GD in 5v5 and every other C on the team in in the negatives which is hilarious)

The year before:
(remember he's getting all the tough minutes)

And this year he's doing it again, with both more goals for and against he seems to be the best on the Kings:
(note that Moore doesn't seem to actually play C, despite being listed as a C here)

So PD is still doing his thing, he just seems to get more appreciation from Kings fans that he ever did from Habs fans or management unfortunately. Like you.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Lehkonen at least showed a good wrister in his rookie year so we knew he could score if put in the position to do so. But do you see him score twice more goals than his career high next year? The jump Danault's had is a big one and that goes beyond usage. That's why I was asking how, does he actually possess a shot that we somehow never had in Montreal, is it luck, is it his teammates or what?

You know what's funny.... Kings also have no idea if Danault has a shot or not.

All his goals are scored within 5 feet of the net. A lot of tips, rebounds, being the beneficiary of Arvidson/Moore doing something magical for a tap in, relentless forecheck leading to easy point blank goals, breakaways/rush plays.... but no slap shots or wristers that were snipes that I can remember, and I can remember most of the 26 goals he scored.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Since you are going to talk about Danault and then throw the Habs under the bus and use words like pathetic.... I think it's equally pathetic to be a Canucks fan where you just miss the playoffs and are in no mans land. How many years now?
Hi, sry you may have mistook me for a nucks fan? I feel dissing one’s own childhood team is socially accepted? I may be misreading your post ;)

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
What a typically putrid take from a "fellow" Habs fan. Wow.

He did EVERYTHING defensively for the Habs, playing against the top lines in all situations and did great with it.

Last year:
(when all plahying together, the Gally-Danault-Tatar line as 18-3 in goals for/against)

The year prior:
(here he's +21 GD in 5v5 and every other C on the team in in the negatives which is hilarious)

The year before:
(remember he's getting all the tough minutes)

And this year he's doing it again, with both more goals for and against he seems to be the best on the Kings:
(note that Moore doesn't seem to actually play C, despite being listed as a C here)

So PD is still doing his thing, he just seems to get more appreciation from Kings fans that he ever did from Habs fans or management unfortunately. Like you.
Well he doubled his goal production and is quoted saying he is really trying hard now because he’s feeling the love so… I mean good for him and the Kings?

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I don't think his season needs any mystical explanation other than he has been used differently and in more offensive situations as the Kings use him in all situations, including offensive draws and powerplays, and he is highly motivated given the circumstances. Obviously, if he falls off next year, it will be chalked up to as a fluke or something, but at least this year, he is the Kings' MVP outside of maybe Jonathan Quick and Kempe.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You know what's funny.... Kings also have no idea if Danault has a shot or not.

All his goals are scored within 5 feet of the net. A lot of tips, rebounds, being the beneficiary of Arvidson/Moore doing something magical for a tap in, relentless forecheck leading to easy point blank goals, breakaways/rush plays.... but no slap shots or wristers that were snipes that I can remember, and I can remember most of the 26 goals he scored.

I dont' remember him taking a shot that wasn't meant to draw a faceoff, heh.

But I do remember that fan that was chiding us saying he'd be worth a million per goal for his contract. That poster is going to be thrilled to know he's paid off over 2/3 of his contract in year one :laugh:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He's been pretty damn good.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They should put the name Phillip Danault in a little poem on Marc Bergevin's tombstone, just to troll him in the afterlife. Failing to see the value of Danault was perhaps his biggest error.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Is Danault finally going to get a chance at the Selke, now that he is a scorer? Or does he need to be an established big scorer in order to get a chance?

I made an argument for him earlier in the season, his all-around numbers were keeping pace with even Bergeron back then, but it was shrugged off

Not sure the numbers have kept pace since but he deserves SOME acknowledgment, and it's great timing given Kopitar's slowly fading

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Is Danault finally going to get a chance at the Selke, now that he is a scorer? Or does he need to be an established big scorer in order to get a chance?

He might have a chance any other year, but Bergeron's numbers are just otherworldly this season.

Bergeron is so far ahead of everyone that he's basically the only one in the conversation.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Love to see him have success, such a great person too.

Attaboi Philip

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He might have a chance any other year, but Bergeron's numbers are just otherworldly this season.

Bergeron is so far ahead of everyone that he's basically the only one in the conversation.

Yeah I'm talking about a nomination really. I don't expect anyone to touch Bergeron.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
They should put the name Phillip Danault in a little poem on Marc Bergevin's tombstone, just to troll him in the afterlife. Failing to see the value of Danault was perhaps his biggest error.

And Bergevin quickly found the error of his ways seeing as how he joined Danault in LA this year. I think it was Montreal who were hasty in their sacking of Bergevin and I think it will haunt them for a while. Bergevin is a great manager, a great man, he's not dead yet and he will rise to the top once more sooner or later.

• Haha
Reactions: kevistar

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Still, poor guy who has his old boss following him

Perhaps it's no coincidence? Bergevin joined the Kings on January 9, 2022. Since then, Danault has scored 20 goals and 32 points in 44 games and averages 18:16 per night.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Perhaps it's no coincidence? Bergevin joined the Kings on January 9, 2022. Since then, Danault has scored 20 goals and 32 points in 44 games and averages 18:16 per night.

I would bet the house on the fact that Danault is displeased lol
The contract dispute was public

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
That's not my point. If you give Danault none of those defensive assignments and staple him permanently on PP1 I still doubt he scores 26 goals in any of those seasons he spent in Montreal. I mean he had pretty solid offensive numbers for us but he was a terrible finisher.

idk, someone in the thread posted how Danault scored is 26th (I think?) from the blue paint and goes there a lot apparently.

Well, in Montreal that was mostly Gallagher's spot no?

In any case, the Kings seems to be holding their end of the bargain; Danault is seeing a much different usage than with Montreal. Much more offensively inclined.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad