Confirmed Trade: [LAK/CGY] Derek Forbort (25%) for cond. 2021 4th round pick

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
I was at the draft at Staples in LA when Lombardi moved up in the first round to take Forbort, it was anti-climatic then, his career with the Kings was anti-climatic, and he leaves garnering a 4th round pick which I am okay with

People leading up to that draft were trying to compare him to Chris Pronger, he was like Pronger, if you exclude skill, toughness, and ability. They were both tall

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
For a 4th/long shot at 3rd i think this was an alright move, maybe Brad is looking for a spark on defense and hoping in bringing in these two it makes the players fight for their spots more, like i think Stone needs a break and maybe try giving Brodie some time off, even if its just a game or two i think he'll play better after getting a break

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
For a 4th/long shot at 3rd i think this was an alright move, maybe Brad is looking for a spark on defense and hoping in bringing in these two it makes the players fight for their spots more, like i think Stone needs a break and maybe try giving Brodie some time off, even if its just a game or two i think he'll play better after getting a break

The good he was paired on the top line in LA last night against the Oilers, the downside in the 2nd period alone LA gave up like 7, 2 on 1 breaks.

Look he is a 5/6 guy on a team full of some good veterans like Calgary. Right now LA sans Doughty and MacDermid , has lots and lots of youth/less experienced guys on its blue line, so more of why he played in a top 4 role.

Last edited:

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
The good he was paired on the top line in LA last night against the Oilers, the downside in the 2nd period alone LA gave up like 7, 2 on 1 breaks.

Look he is a 5/6 guy on a team full of some good veterans like Calgary. Right now LA sans Doughty and MacDermid , has lots and lots of youth/less experienced guys on its blue line, so more of why he played in a top 4 role.

I think Erik would get the chance in a top 4 role before Forbort does, but with our defensemen im already seeing 3 decent lines(if all were healthy)
Gio-Anderson
Hanifin-Gust
Kylington/Forbort-Brodie/Hamonic

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I was at the draft at Staples in LA when Lombardi moved up in the first round to take Forbort, it was anti-climatic then, his career with the Kings was anti-climatic, and he leaves garnering a 4th round pick which I am okay with

People leading up to that draft were trying to compare him to Chris Pronger, he was like Pronger, if you exclude skill, toughness, and ability. They were both tall

I remember that! It was the only draft I've ever been to. Was so excited, and when they announced the trade I was so excited, I thought they moved up to take Etem, and was baffled when they took Forbort. I figured that he would turn into a decent top 4 defenseman at least for a couple of years after the draft, but once he started playing after all that time playing college it was clear where he was going to rank. In the end, it wouldn't have mattered if it were Etem or Forbort though, so there's that. :P
I am just glad he's off the team.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
He's a depth player who at his best could eat minutes. Just don't depend on him to anchor a pairing, or, really, expect anything.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He's a depth player who at his best could eat minutes. Just don't depend on him to anchor a pairing, or, really, expect anything.
The Flames are well acquainted with this type of player. They tend to blow up in our face

gambitlebo

Apr 28, 2006
The only good move by Blake during his tenure

You were saying????

Kings roster makeover:

At start of 18-19, they had...

Avg age: Over 28
Contracts of $4m+ AAV: 10
SN Pipeline rank: 24
'19-'21 draft picks: 20 tot (6 t2 rds)

Now...
Avg age: Under 27
Contracts of $4m+ AAV: 5
SN Pipeline rk: 2 (as of preseason)
'19-'21 picks: 30 tot (11 t2 rds)

Some of us Kings fans are old enough to remember the days leading up to Gretzky leaving and the "haul" we got from Gretzky...which lead to a lot of bad years until we were good enough to trade prospects for Palffy, Allison and Deadmarsh.

There were a lot of dark days before 2012 & 2014. A LOT darker than new fans want to believe.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Forbort is very good in defensive transition, has a good stick, very good lateral mobility for a man his size, and plays a simple, reliable game.

He is only sporadically physical, frustratingly so. His breakout passes are average at best, and is better at going D to D than up and out - essentially the Kings breakout from 2008 until this past summer. He will occasionally get off a good, low shot, but defenses will sag off of him as he almost always assumes a past first body position. He is a limited guy who plays well. You could do better, you could do worse.

Long and short of it, he is a good 5 or 6 miscast as a #2 due to his reliability, and that tends to really frustrate the fans who never really appreciate role or limited players on a losing team.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Forbort is the Dwight King of defensemen. Big but not a hitter. Plays soundly - and sometimes even well in bursts. But fans hate him because the coach uses him to plug holes in higher lines/pairs where he's in over his head (but doesn't usually make catastrophic errors).

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Forbort is the Dwight King of defensemen. Big but not a hitter. Plays soundly - and sometimes even well in bursts. But fans hate him because the coach uses him to plug holes in higher lines/pairs where he's in over his head (but doesn't usually make catastrophic errors).
I think Flames fans are hoping for some physical play so that's disappointing. Interesting about the in over his head comment because he has been a trainwreck any game I've watched but didn't realize the tougher matchups he gets.

Overall I don't hate the player but it sounds exactly like Michael Stone who he is replacing.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Forbort is very good in defensive transition, has a good stick, very good lateral mobility for a man his size, and plays a simple, reliable game.

He is only sporadically physical, frustratingly so. His breakout passes are average at best, and is better at going D to D than up and out - essentially the Kings breakout from 2008 until this past summer. He will occasionally get off a good, low shot, but defenses will sag off of him as he almost always assumes a past first body position. He is a limited guy who plays well. You could do better, you could do worse.

Long and short of it, he is a good 5 or 6 miscast as a #2 due to his reliability, and that tends to really frustrate the fans who never really appreciate role or limited players on a losing team.

thank you for the detailed review. We need a good bottom pairing guy and hopefully he will be just that.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site

Yeah, he was pretty brutal in the Edmonton game and his exploits leading to McDavid's goal were particularly amusing.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Used properly, Forbort can be effective. He's pretty bland, to be honest. He won't drive you too crazy and occasionally he will have a great game. Ideally he's a bottom pair guy, on a team with a particularly strong defense he'd be a #7.

Average:

Breakout passes
Maintaining his assignments
Along the boards

Above Average:

Penalty killing
Blocking things, has a great stick

Below Average:

Mobility, tends to get beat on the outside
Offensive skills
Possession metrics

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
He doesn’t do anything particularly great (except maybe some stickwork in the defensive zone) but he also won’t lose any games for you. For a 2021 4th or 2022 3rd, this move is as inconsequential as it gets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad