Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Let's go live to Jake Gardiner:

key-and-peele-jordan-peele.gif

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Have we ever gotten clarification as to whether Gardiner is healthy enough to buy out? It looks like he’s played a couple of games in Da Beauty league.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Have we ever gotten clarification as to whether Gardiner is healthy enough to buy out? It looks like he’s played a couple of games in Da Beauty league.

I would think we could at least argue he’s healthy enough if he’s playing against other pros.

On a side note, that’s the douchiest league name I think anyone could possibly come up with.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
They were able to buyout Wisniewski the summer after he was on LTIR all season. So there’s precedent. I don’t see any reason why they couldn’t buy out Gardiner now as he’s been “medically cleared”

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
They were able to buyout Wisniewski the summer after he was on LTIR all season. So there’s precedent. I don’t see any reason why they couldn’t buy out Gardiner now as he’s been “medically cleared”
so what you are saying, is that when Waddell said they couldn't buy him out because he wasn't medically cleared, it's really a smoke screen for they don't want to waste the money?

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
so what you are saying, is that when Waddell said they couldn't buy him out because he wasn't medically cleared, it's really a smoke screen for they don't want to waste the money?

Dundon so cheap.

To me, if the buyout is possible, it’s about the only move they can make without spending assets to be rid of Gardiner. They seem to be completely averse to doing that so I think they’d be more apt to pay the relatively small cost to free up almost $3M in space this year and next year, they theoretically shouldn’t be in dire straits cap-wise either.

They are right up against it if Gardiner is on roster and a 20 man roster, while doable, is far from ideal.

I guess they could also move on from Bear, but I don’t see that. He’s definitely more tradeable, but at this point, what are you taking back, a 4th? You have to think most teams would want to send back a contract. If he could have been dealt for a 2nd/3rd, I think they would have done that already. I don’t really think they want to trade Bear as he still is a potential 2nd pair RD they might be able to lock in at “Pesce/Slavin” rate.

It all seems to lead back to a buyout. I guess we’ll see in the next few days.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
A buyout also seems to line up with future contracts. It impacts this year and next year. The year after that is when the Canes have to re-up or let go Aho, TT, Jarvis (RFA), Martinook :naughty:, Pesce, Skjei, and presumably Necas (RFA)

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
In what material way does it matter, other than to jake gardiner and tom dundon, if he ends up on the IR vs. being bought out other than the cap penalty if he's bought out where there wouldn't (?) be one if he was IR'd? I know it means he'd be paid his full salary if deemed unfit to play, but for the Canes wouldn't that almost be the better option for the cap?

Reactions: w e l o s t b o y s

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
In what material way does it matter, other than to jake gardiner and tom dundon, if he ends up on the IR vs. being bought out other than the cap penalty if he's bought out where there wouldn't (?) be one if he was IR'd? I know it means he'd be paid his full salary if deemed unfit to play, but for the Canes wouldn't that almost be the better option for the cap?
IR: no cap relief, the team gets a 23 man roster slot back. Player has to be on it for 7 days.

The difference in buying him out and LTIR is 1.083 million in cap space this year and the ability to accrue cap space.

LTIR we would have an extra million of space but we couldn’t accrue cap space unless we went below our ASCL. We are back in the same boat for the deadline as last year.

Buying him out we have 1 million less cap this season and 1.5 less next season. But we are able to accrue cap space. Trade deadline is in theory easier and less costly.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
They can’t bank/accrue their daily cap space for deadline moves if they’re using LTIR. The fact that they used it last year severely inhibited what they were able to do on deadline day. Any deal had to be money in/out.

If they buy him out, they likely still have a small bit of wiggle room under the cap that will become bigger and bigger wiggle room as the deadline approaches, so theoretically it’s easier to add a player/rental with a higher salary without having to send the matching dollars/contract back in the return.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
IR: no cap relief, the team gets a 23 man roster slot back. Player has to be on it for 7 days.

The difference in buying him out and LTIR is 1.083 million in cap space this year and the ability to accrue cap space.

LTIR we would have an extra million of space but we couldn’t accrue cap space unless we went below our ASCL. We are back in the same boat for the deadline as last year.

Buying him out we have 1 million less cap this season and 1.5 less next season. But we are able to accrue cap space. Trade deadline is in theory easier and less costly.
I think LTIR is doubtful and would likely require Gardiner coming back and reinjuring himself.

The big comparison I see is burying Gardiner in Chicago vs buying him out:

Burying in Chicago gives about $1.1M relief, so a $2.9M cap hit this year and zero hit next year.

Buying Gardiner out gives about $3M in cap relief, with a $1.08M cap hit this season and a $1.48M cap hit next year.

So the two options take up about the same total cap space (only $400k total difference); the question is whether you take the hit this year and see if Gardiner can play or buy Gardiner out now to spread the cap hit out over 2 seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Something else to consider is a one year contract Gardiner for a 2 year contract trade. I know it sounds crazy but teams do not want players with multiple year deals in trades because of the smaller amount of cap available for next off-season. Maybe there is a market but we had to find out what the rest of our roster would be first. With the Lajoie situation we have better negotiating power because we don’t have to settle. Buying him out is always an option.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The hidden cost of banking cap space is that it probably gets done by relentlessly sending waivers-exempt players (~players on ELC) on paper to Chicago for the off-days, paying them AHL salary for ~every other day despite them factually being fulltime NHL roster players.

That's bullshit and I don't want to piss of Jarvis and the others by saving the cap from their legit NHL salary.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
The hidden cost of banking cap space is that it probably gets done by relentlessly sending waivers-exempt players (~players on ELC) on paper to Chicago for the off-days, paying them AHL salary for ~every other day despite them factually being fulltime NHL roster players.

That's bullshit and I don't want to piss of Jarvis and the others by saving the cap from their legit NHL salary.
Once a player like Chatfield or Coghlancclears once to start the season, they can do so with that player for a month or so.

I see no way they do this with Jarvis. Aside from pissing him off, Jarvis needs the off day practice time with line mates. And so do his line mates.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I think LTIR is doubtful and would likely require Gardiner coming back and reinsuring himself.

The big comparison I see is burying Gardiner in Chicago vs buying him out:

Burying in Chicago gives about $1.1M relief, so a $2.9M cap hit this year and zero hit next year.

Buying Gardiner out gives about $3M in cap relief, with a $1.08M cap hit this season and a $1.48M cap hit next year.

So the two options take up about the same total cap space (only $400k total difference); the question is whether you take the hit this year and see if Gardiner can play or bite the bullet now to spread the cap hit out over 2 seasons.
Thanks for the analysis. I'd sign up for Chicago and beyond cap space savings (and no impact to next year) he might actually improve enough to be a contributing call up.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
A buyout also seems to line up with future contracts. It impacts this year and next year. The year after that is when the Canes have to re-up or let go Aho, TT, Jarvis (RFA), Martinook :naughty:, Pesce, Skjei, and presumably Necas (RFA)

That’s gonna be a hell of a summer. Half of your top 6 and your 2nd pairing D all UFA/RFA’s. Not looking forward to that summer.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
That’s gonna be a hell of a summer. Half of your top 6 and your 2nd pairing D all UFA/RFA’s. Not looking forward to that summer.

I think they’ll have some of that sorted next offseason. I think how some of the affected players perform this year as well as the expectations of their future contract AAVs will determine how they deal with it.

For example, they chose to re-sign Bear while up against the cap and they specifically asked for Coghlan in the Pacioretty trade, loading up on RD. You could say this is because of potential injuries and I think there’s some merit to that. However, I also think they want to see if either of those players could potentially replace a Skjei or Pesce next offseason, for a lot cheaper than it would cost to re-sign one of those guys the following summer when they’re UFA.

Another example could be the rumored Necas bridge deal. If he turns into the 50-60 top 6 C/RW he’s expected to next season, he’ll be worth quite a lot at just 3M for one more season with 2yrs of RFA left as well. They could turn a good season into Necas into a very good return in a trade or choose to keep him. Teravainen too, would very likely carry a good deal of worth in trade value with his cheap contract.

What I’m getting at is that I think one or more of the players coming up in 2yrs could be traded next summer for other players with term so I don’t really think they’ll have to deal with all of Aho, Teravainen, Pesce and Skjei as UFAs and Drury/Jarvis as RFAs in one offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad