Laine's numbers, what do u think?

Rene Saari

May 30, 2016
There' s around 50 players in the NHL who have more shots on goal this season, than Patty.

Patty's shooting accuracy is 19%.
Not a single one of those 50 players have a better shooting accuracy than Laine (Crosby has 18,5%).

Comparing the total amount of shots, the first player with a better shooting accuracy than Laine is Grabner (20,6%) with 20+ shots less than Laine.

Now, as Patrik is still junior-aged player competing against the world's toughest men in hockey, how wrong it would be to say, that he has one the deadliest shots ever?

And his scoring talent is at the same level with Rocket, Boss, Hull, Mario, Jagr and Ovi.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
His S% will be stay relatively high, no doubt. He is selective shooter, who seeks either good quality scoring change or if that change isn't there he merely try make play and pass, then just shoot.

I think his amount of SOGs will never be among league top, but that doesn't matter when his immense shooting skills, speed and accuracy, as well as IQ for good shooting spots compensate that. He is not volume shooter -type sniper.

Expecting his longer term career S% (over sample of hundreds of games) to set somewhere between 16%-18% but it wouldn't be big surprise if it remain higher then that. I cannot see good reason why he should change his shooting style toward volume-shooting, though I think slightly improved SOGs will come in the future when he mature as a player. His selective sniping style has minor but immediate negative effect to his corsi compared to volume-shooters, and that doesn't matter an one iota if his S% stays high. Goals are what are counted.

8yQdmJP.png

Cumulative shooting percentage counted after each game. After 53GP ~19%

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
He will get more shots in the future as his acceleration and skating gets better and he gets more strength because he'll then have more opportunities to be in a shooting position. The release is already world-class, we all know that, so that won't be an issue.

His shooting percentage will also drop, that's normal. But as he gets more shots per game, his goal pace will just go higher from what it is right now. Over the course of this season he's been on pace for 43 goals for a full 82-game season.

I think it's very reasonable to expect him break the 50-goal mark in the future multiple times.

Willy Styles

Nov 5, 2014
York Region
Does the shooting or percentage include empty net goals?

I'm sure that would decrease his percentage a few points he's scored what 3 empty netters.

I think he'll be around 15% for his career personally

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
EN goals are SOGs (obviously).

But if we assume they wouldn't be counted, effect to his S% would be now:

28G/147SOGs x 100% = 19.0476...% to 28G/144SOGs x 100% = 19.44444...%

It would increase, as there would be same amount of goals divided by lesser amount of SOGs.

You're a hockey player (sniper guy especially), and you have a good change to score empty-netter, you of course try to score it.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Why would there be the same number of goals if you remove ENGs from the shooting percentage calculation?

No one's suggesting keeping the goals but removing the shots (as you've done in your calculation); that's ridiculous.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
With that said,

Three is not a ridiculously high number (or even a particularly high number) of empty-net goals for someone with Laine's number of total goals (of course, the NHL makes it difficult to prove this - in fact, I'm relying upon your number of three for Laine since I can't easily find independent verification of that number).

And empty-net goals are included in everyone's shooting percentages (not just Laine's), so it's apples to apples to a degree.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Why would there be the same number of goals if you remove ENGs from the shooting percentage calculation?

No one's suggesting keeping the goals but removing the shots (as you've done in your calculation); that's ridiculous.

Ah. Why we would remove EN goals out from percentages and score sheets? I merely remove SOGs (as there can be also shot toward EN that are not SOG) then scored goals.

Anyway. In hypotetic hockey-like game X there are no ENs or SOGs from EN goals. Then Laine's stats would be:

25G/144SOGs x 100% = 17.36111...%

Yes. It's ridiculous speculation, no matter how you twist it. How many 5-vs-5 goals are scored in average NHL season where SOG is counted, and the net is de facto empty for all practical goal scoring purposes?

For Example:

rljRv5b.gif

Pretty 'empty net'.

Is scoring goal more difficult in that situation or in situation where you shot it from your own D-zone toward a net without goal keeper, when in full speed and under interfering influence of panicking D-man?

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Few allegedly worthless easy shots toward EN:

KebW937.gif

0hiSdZL.gif

Is these categorically more easy goals then that example posted above?

(GIFs by Harmonica1)

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I'm not sure who you think is attacking either you or Laine, but no one in the thread has implied that empty-net goals are "allegedly worthless easy".

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I'm not sure who you think is attacking either you or Laine, but no one in the thread has implied that empty-net goals are "allegedly worthless easy".

Sorry. Nothing personal. Not given or taken. Just putting up my Kiosk for those normal 'customers' so familiar in various other threads. No harm. :)

Btw. If I had to really predict Laine's future "prime S%", I would say it's going to be around 17.5%. That's about the level where I approximate the point where all aspect reasonably foreseeable aspects related to his current game and expected potential will emerge on sustainable level.

Some other Laine fan would call me "conservative" for that statement.

Rene Saari

May 30, 2016
18,8%
Around 50 players with more SOG
The most closest player (S%) with more SOG's is Crosby (18,6)
The closest player with better S% is Grabner with around +20 shots less (20,5) and actually Scheifele around +25 shots less (20,3)
The next players with better S% are having around 40 shots less than Laine (Rakell, Stone, Oshie)

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
He is not going to keep shooting at 19%. Kovalchuk was able to maintain his sh% around 15-17% throughout his career. That is a more realistic number for an elite shooter. I expect him to be able to increase his SOG in the next few years as most NHL players tend to as they get stronger and more adept to the NHL game. I would rather bank on him becoming a 3.5SOG/Game shooter with a 12-15 sh%

Last edited:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
19% is an unsustainable number.
many of the best that ever played shot around 15%

I expect him to shoot more as he gets older, so 40+ year in, year out is possible

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Stammer is career 17.1%, including empty netters. The upper limit for career shooting is somewhere there.

Ovie is 12%, but he shoots ridiculous shot totals.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Laine's shot totals will go up (maybe substantially), and his sh% will likely come down a bit. He'll continue to score a boatload of goals.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Laine's shot totals will go up (maybe substantially), and his sh% will likely come down a bit. He'll continue to score a boatload of goals.

Yup. Yakupov had a 21% shooting percentage his 1st season and 10% for the rest of his career. I am not comparing Laine to Yak. Laine will be a high end scoring winger for years. Just pumping the breaks on assuming his shooting percentage remaining that high. 15ish% seems pretty reasonable, though, given his shot. But, it wouldn't shock me if his career numbers were closer to 12 than 15, either, as he becomes a higher volume shooter.

Rene Saari

May 30, 2016
Laine's S% is now 19,9
There's around 50 players with more SOG
Most closest S% from players with more SOG is Crosby (18,6)
Players with better S% have at least around 20+ SOG less than Laine (Grabner 20,3 | linemate Scheifele 20,2)
And the next players with better S% are having around 45+ SOG less than Laine
(Oshie, Anisimov, Stone, Johansson)

+
And by the NHL tonight, Laine's goal scoring distance is 2nd longest from the goal, 34ft. (1st was Burns with 35ft.)

Is this 18yo kid going to have the best shot world has ever seen, or is it like so already?

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Stammer is career 17.1%, including empty netters. The upper limit for career shooting is somewhere there.

Ovie is 12%, but he shoots ridiculous shot totals.

If Laine has the best shot ever, he will set the new standard, which we don't know yet.

Imo, Sh% is a stupid stat, because shots wide does not lower your accuracy. Crazy as what? :amazed:

Fenwick sh% is much much better indicator.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
League's gonna be in good hands when guys like Ovi and Crosby pass on the torch. Laine, McDavid, Matthews, the future's looking great!

elite1prospects

Jul 4, 2013
EN goals are SOGs (obviously).

But if we assume they wouldn't be counted, effect to his S% would be now:

28G/147SOGs x 100% = 19.0476...% to 28G/144SOGs x 100% = 19.44444...%

It would increase, as there would be same amount of goals divided by lesser amount of SOGs.

You're a hockey player (sniper guy especially), and you have a good change to score empty-netter, you of course try to score it.

Not trying to critizise or talk you down, but i don't think Laine needs a change in the way a certain stat is being calculated to show he is a good player. He already proves he is a beast with every thing else he does.

Signed
Unkown Habs fan

skorbi

Feb 20, 2017
Let's see some shot by type statistics:
151 shots (43th among forwards) s% = 19,9%
1 deflected shot (190th) 0 goals 0%
3 backhand shots (376th) 0 goals 0%
0 wraparound shots (-th) 0 goals 0%
5 tipped shots (218th) 2 goals 40,0%
27 snap shots (52nd) 8 goals 29,6%
80 wrist shots (50th) 15 goals 18,8%
35 slap shots (10th) 5 goals 14,3%
Laine has one of the best shots in NHL, and he is a definitely a selective shooter, you won't see him shooting wishful snapshots far away. If he continues this type of play, he is probably always going to end up with a high s%, Can he even sustain a s% we're seeing today? Maybe, time will tell.

As for comparison, a different type of player, that also has amassed amazing 28 goals this season:
Auston Matthews ;)
206 shots (5th among forwards) s% = 13,6%
1 deflected shot (190th) 0 goals 0%
29 backhand shots (3rd) 5 goals 17,2%
9 wraparound shots (1st) 0 goals 0%
10 tipped shots (82nd) 2 goals 20,0%
75 snap shots (1st) 9 goals 12,0%
79 wrist shots (54th) 12 goals 15,2%
3 slap shots (313th) 0 goals 0%
Matthews plays the type of game where he shoots the puck more, thus probably ends with lower s%.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad