Laine's next contract

AAV of his next contract?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'd echo the need for a bridge deal. But I can just see him repeating the Nylander situation if Winnipeg tries it.

Unlike Nylander Laine is actually a tempting RFA target. Nowhere near as tempting as others - but still tempting enough to warrant some consideration.

If he gets more than 8m, hes overpaid. #floater

Long-term he should definitely be wanting to earn more than 8M.

He's been highly inconsistent and that's something he needs to work on but based on what he's done so far I still can see him producing 60+ goal seasons. He'll never be as consistent a scorer as Ov - but he could hypothetically come somewhat close. If/when he finds that form - he'd absolutely be worth 10M$+.

Bridge is probably the best option for both sides:

1. Laine doesn't want to sign for less if he thinks he can make more

2. Wpg doesn't want to overpay him while worried about his consistency

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Goal scorers cost money, especially young ones. He hasn't been good lately, but he will probably still crack 40 goals easily this year (needs 16 goals in 41 games). It really does depend how he finishes the year and how he performs in the playoffs. I can see him getting between 8 and 10 million depending on how he plays till the end of the season.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
8.5 over 8 years or if they bridge him 6x3.

That is a laughable suggestion honestly. I think it's basically unheard of for a guy to score as many goals as he has on his ELC and especially what he did at 18. I think only Matthews and Ovi are comparable numbers wise.

Considering goal scoring is the most valuable asset in the NHL, and given his past history with his ego, I can't see him accepting that contract. Not with Marner, Rantanen, Tkachuk, and Boeser all likely getting at least 9M and a pile of guys right around that salary below him who he has blown out of the water.

And then add in some centers he might want to compare himself too like Matthews due to the media and fan narrative after the draft and Aho who is a fellow countrymen and who was also a winger who turned center.

Couple that with Dreger reporting his want is 11M per, and I think that unless he gets close to what these other guys are getting or maybe even becomes the highest paid winger that he holds out.

Most obvious solution is a bridge deal but even that is likely 6-7M over 2 -3 years.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I don't think Laine is the type of guy you want to bridge, with his ability to have a 60+ goal season, that bridge deal could come back to bite you in the ash. It would be somewhat like when the Habs bridged Subban and he went on to win the Norris.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I don't think Laine is the type of guy you want to bridge, with his ability to have a 60+ goal season, that bridge deal could come back to bite you in the ash. It would be somewhat like when the Habs bridged Subban and he went on to win the Norris.

You're already gonna be paying for a goal scorer who may score 60 goals
A bridge won't changed that
Unless laine signs for 7 to 8 million for 8 years. He's probably gonna look for 9 plus tho and you dont want to be stuck to that long term for a player who's on pace for less than 70 points right now

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I voted <$8M because I think a smart GM would give him a bridge. Right now the only thing he's proven is that he's terribly inconsistent. He's still young though but I think he needs to mature mentally.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00