Laine's next contract

AAV of his next contract?

• Total voters

member 147413

I’d bridge him, he’s far too inconsistent.

AAV below 8

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I'd echo the need for a bridge deal. But I can just see him repeating the Nylander situation if Winnipeg tries it.

I don't know the nylander situation

Laine would still get paid in s bridge deal. They just wouldn't be stuck with a larger paying contract.

Laine is worth the goals, But do you want to pay 9 or 10 million for a player who's on pace for less than 70 points

I believe Laine has the potential to be a great player, but I've also said I think it's gonna take longer for him to get there

If he wants to sign something like 7 to 8 million long term . That would be a discount for his resume. Regardless of the his pace in points
Over 40 goals a year costs a lot.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
He’s no where near as good as Eichel is, so I don’t think he’s getting 10 per. But, with inflation I expect him to get 9 per.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Go 8$ x 7 years. But Laine likely negotiates that to 9 +. A lot depends on how he ends this season.

Capt Canada

Jan 6, 2019
Canada
Should definitely bridge him for a few years. Really has to work out his inconsistency issues before I'd be comfortable with a big contract.

At the same time, if he were to agree to something like 7m/year for 8 years, I'd be fine with that.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
He will get 10 million, which is good for him but horrendous for the Jets. They will end up regretting it big, big time.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Go 8$ x 7 years. But Laine likely negotiates that to 9 +. A lot depends on how he ends this season.

Playoff beasting it would raise it back to 9-10+ mil I feel like regardless of how the end of regular season goes. That requires a deep playoff run by Winnipeg though.

It will be interesting to see if Winnipeg gets a rental center for Laine again. That would affect Laine's point/goal production in a positive way and increase his future salary. Winnipeg should just all in for the Stanley Cup run and do that and worry about Laine's salary later.

I think he gets more time with Scheifele next season once the contract is done.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
The way he's been playing I think both parties should be looking for a bridge deal.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
He will get 10 million, which is good for him but horrendous for the Jets. They will end up regretting it big, big time.

Absolutely no way he gets 10+. Zero chance for that to happen.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
If it’s 8 years I’d expect somewhere in the 8.5-9M range but there’s a real possibility of a 2 year bridge, then I would think closer to 4.75-5.5M.

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
6-7M, don't see why he should get more than Pastrnak or Nylander.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Unless he picks it up again I could see a bridge deal. I have to think with the way he was hyped coming in and the incredible goal totals as a teenager he was banking on being in that 10+ range like Eichel is and Matthews will be, but I can't see why the Jets would be willing to do that with his consistency issues, and lack of play driving ability. He seems like the type who will thinks he can still earn that deal after a bridge rather than take a lesser long term deal.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Jets are in a pickle with this one.

-They have 59 million on the books for next season
-Assuming a cap increase to 83 million, that leaves 24 million open with these contracts all up: Laine, Connor, Trouba, Myers, Tanev, Copp, Petan, Lemieux, Brossoit, Chiarot, Morrow.

Assuming bottom dollar replacements for the last 7 names at a million a pop, that leaves 17 million for Laine, Connor, Trouba, and Myers.

If Laine gets 9 and they bridge Connor at 6, they're losing 2 top 4 defensemen and replacing them with minimum value players at that position, because that's all the money you have left.

They're gonna have to try to give away somebody like Little for peanuts or eat some of his deal just to free up a couple extra million.

King 88

Mar 5, 2010
Bridge deal would be best for club because he seems to be inconsistent. Though wouldn't be surprised to see something like 8,5m/8 years.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Over 10M? I don't think he can handle it. In mitt twenties his career is over! Okay I'm exaggerating a little bit. ;)!

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Jets are in a pickle with this one.

-They have 59 million on the books for next season
-Assuming a cap increase to 83 million, that leaves 24 million open with these contracts all up: Laine, Connor, Trouba, Myers, Tanev, Copp, Petan, Lemieux, Brossoit, Chiarot, Morrow.

Assuming bottom dollar replacements for the last 7 names at a million a pop, that leaves 17 million for Laine, Connor, Trouba, and Myers.

If Laine gets 9 and they bridge Connor at 6, they're losing 2 top 4 defensemen and replacing them with minimum value players at that position, because that's all the money you have left.

They're gonna have to try to give away somebody like Little for peanuts or eat some of his deal just to free up a couple extra million.
Myers will be let go, he's not a top 4 defensemen anymore anyway.

Cap solution will have to involve paying someone to take Perreault, Little or Kulikov. Then again, if Trouba refuses to sign a long term deal that takes away some of that problem anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00