Salary Cap: Laine's contract in 19/20

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Player agents will get the best deal for the player, they make their money by doing it. Players don’t ask for more because of pride :laugh:, they want the best deal for what they are worth. Players always want to get the best contract because they don’t know what the future holds. Also there is a big difference between 50-60 million and 80 million.

If you think players don't ask for more because of pride you're either seriously kidding yourself or you haven't paid much attention to pro sports over the years. There's plenty of literature out there about athletes wanting to get the same as (or more than) some other guy because they think they're being disrespected if they don't. Any time a player wants to renegotiate a contract, it's likely to be because he feels he's being disrespected by being paid "only" X number of millions compared to someone else.

Agents work for players. They don't twist their arms. They have discussions, and based on those discussions go to the team and do the clients' bidding. If Laine wants to take a team-friendly deal, that's what his agent is going to arrange. If an agent violates a player's wishes, he's going to lose that player as a client.

For an ambitious pro hockey player who is going to be paid like a king regardless, there's a big difference between having your name engraved a couple of times on the Stanley Cup and living life as a very wealthy man afterward vs. spending the last 50 years of your very wealthy life thinking "If only..."

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Player agents will get the best deal for the player, they make their money by doing it. Players don’t ask for more because of pride :laugh:, they want the best deal for what they are worth. Players always want to get the best contract because they don’t know what the future holds. Also there is a big difference between 50-60 million and 80 million.
This is not necessarily true. There are many examples of players agreeing to lesser salaries than they could have got if they fought tooth and nail for every last cent. The 2 generational talents of our era Crosby and McDavid are perfect examples of this. The max salary under the current CBA is 20% of the cap. If McDavid wanted every penny he could make he would have waited until this off season and then demanded exactly 20% of the cap (the max possible salary allowed under the CBA). The cap is estimated to be $80 M this season which means an AAV of $16 M. The Oilers would be forced to pay it or at least 1 team would have offersheeted at that amount. He left $3.5 M on the table. Even signing last summer the max salary was $15 M based on 20% of $75 M, so he left $2.5 M on the table even signing early. Over the course of the contract McDavid could have earned $28 M more...why would he have not done this other than to leave more money to pay top players to help the team win?

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I believe you have compared his season and 'would be' salary hit to other players who've all signed their contracts ages ago along with drawing some quite odd parallels of Laine's two first seasons to Hall's as if they were equals considering the achievements. All of which just doesn't add up numbers wise (or else), no matter even if someone had a tremendous crush on assists over goals. Howabout you present me another recent teen that actually is equivalent to Laine lets say from within the last five years range from their respective drafts with a signed contract and I'll bring down the moon for you?

A player who's capable of wrapping his first seasons as a nr 1 goal scorer of the entire league since entering it will be worth every single penny any team is able to throw at him, and beyond. Even more so when we're talking about someone of the ages of 18 and 19. Right now the ten million a year would be a gift wrapped in a paper.

I compared him to the best wingers and some of the best centers who signed long term coming off their ELCs. If you think he should set a new bar for winger salary fine and he very well might but I doubt it will be a rate that is substantially greater then what most of the best young talent have received.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
since he will win the rocket with 50+ (honestly think he does)

5 for him
+
5 for beard

shave the beard and there is your discount!

Last edited:
Reactions: Halberdier

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He still has 4 years as a RFA left....6 x 7.25m or 7 x 7.75m.

With these numbers it's easy to get disappointed on July.

The guy is competing for Rocket at 19y, goals have the most value, Drai again signed for 8.5M contract, Eichel 10M. Laine hopefully signs somewhere between, if he does it's a damm steal.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
With these numbers it's easy to get disappointed on July.

The guy is competing for Rocket at 19y, goals have the most value, Drai again signed for 8.5M contract, Eichel 10M. Laine hopefully signs somewhere between, if he does it's a damm steal.
Then again Chia is an idiot and they're assuming that Drai will be their Malkin. 7.5 mil isn't impossible.

Reactions: JetsFan815

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Then again Chia is an idiot and they're assuming that Drai will be their Malkin. 7.5 mil isn't impossible.

It doesn't take much for Laines agent to show that contract, doesn't take much for the agent to show Eichels contract.
We all know they aren't worth those contracts, but those contracts were signed.

Eichels career high in goals is 24, yes he's a C but Laine has been the superior goal scorer in his career so far.

I'd love to see Laine sign 7.5, but what are the odds really? It would be among the best contracts in the league the moment he signed it.

Reactions: Halberdier

Rene Saari

May 30, 2016
Less than a month ago he was tenth among regular forwards in ESP/60, unable to drive the play, making numerous defensive mistakes and had the acceleration of a supertanker. It's all there if you go back and read the threads...and at the time, some of his staunchest defenders were wanting Buff put on an ice flow. Now both of them are playing great, which just goes to show how many great players have their highs and lows. But offering $80M to a teenager based on a high is a very dangerous proposition.

You mean, Laine’s having a two season high...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Scheifelaine

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It doesn't take much for Laines agent to show that contract, doesn't take much for the agent to show Eichels contract.
We all know they aren't worth those contracts, but those contracts were signed.

Eichels career high in goals is 24, yes he's a C but Laine has been the superior goal scorer in his career so far.

I'd love to see Laine sign 7.5, but what are the odds really? It would be among the best contracts in the league the moment he signed it.

But then he has to show him a picture of Chevy..... :)

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Less than a month ago he was tenth among regular forwards in ESP/60, unable to drive the play, making numerous defensive mistakes and had the acceleration of a supertanker.

Laine is the 1st 5-on-5 P/60 and the 2nd, just after Scheifele for 2 last seasons. The best point scorer this season for the Jets, Blake Wheeler is 7th for this season and 7th for 2 last seasons. Should we fire him already or wait until the summer to do so?

I can tell you a little secret: there are exactly 10 players for the Jets having 5-on-5 P/60 in the range of 1.80...2.20. What does it mean that someone is 3rd or 1st or 10th? I tell you another secret: not much as they are so close anyway on that deliberately cherry picked stat to make Patrik Laine to look somehow bad. Also it's completely different story to play 288 minutes with P/60 of 2.08 and to play 873 minutes with P/60 of 2.20. I don't think you could say that Roslovic was a "regular forward" back then when this funny little cherry picking happened.

Laine did not make a lot of defensive mistakes during early season, at least not if compared to Ehlers, Wheeler & Connor. That was the reason why he stayed mostly net positive or at least +- 0 on 5-on-5 even with offensively dysfunctional line.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
So let me get Into this : the future offensive drivers of the Winnipeg jets are Scheifele around 6m Ehlers around 6 m and Laine around 8,5-9 Laine he wants to win.. he Will get between 8-9 I garantee you that ;) 8×8,5 And that Will be a steal just Like the other contracts!!

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Wingers don't make as much as Centers so I would toss out all Center comparables and would show the following list of long term contracts signed relative recently by RFA Wingers

Gaudreau - 6 * $6,75,000 - 9.25% of Cap Ceiling
Pastrnak - 6 * $6,666,666 - 8.89% of Cap Ceiling
Tarasenko - 8 * $7,500,000 - 10.27% of Cap Ceiling
P. Kane - 5 * $6,300,000 - 11.09% of Cap Ceiling
Hall - 7 * $6,000,000 - 10.00% of Cap Ceiling
Forsberg - 6 * $6,000,000 - 8.22% of Cap Ceiling
Ehlers - 7 * $6,000,000 - 8.00% of Cap Ceiling

To me Tarasenko is the high water mark as Drai was signed as a center.

Tarasenko was coming off a 37 goal season when he signed that deal. So I would expect a long term contract would likely be in the 10%+ of the cap ceiling range. So probably an AAV of $8,000,000 to $8,800,000 (if he signs for 11% of an $80,000,000 ceiling).

Laine will be our highest paid player but I don't see a market where he's getting $9+.

My guess is 8 by $8,400,000 (10.5% of Cap Ceiling. A bit more than Tarasenko). Patty Kane's contract was signed a long time ago and the cap was going up at a significantly faster rate at the time. It's almost too old to include so if I were Chevy I'd be arguing to toss it but for these purposes I've showed it.

OV signed a 13 year deal at $9,538,462 which was 16.82% of the Cap Ceiling at the time. He was coming off of a 65 goal 47 assist season. 112 points in 82 games. Arguably the best statistical season of his career.

40+ goal seasons are nice, but they're nowhere near 65 goals.

Reactions: KingBogo and Hulide

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Wingers don't make as much as Centers so I would toss out all Center comparables and would show the following list of long term contracts signed relative recently by RFA Wingers

Gaudreau - 6 * $6,75,000 - 9.25% of Cap Ceiling
Pastrnak - 6 * $6,666,666 - 8.89% of Cap Ceiling
Tarasenko - 8 * $7,500,000 - 10.27% of Cap Ceiling
P. Kane - 5 * $6,300,000 - 11.09% of Cap Ceiling
Hall - 7 * $6,000,000 - 10.00% of Cap Ceiling
Forsberg - 6 * $6,000,000 - 8.22% of Cap Ceiling
Ehlers - 7 * $6,000,000 - 8.00% of Cap Ceiling

To me Tarasenko is the high water mark as Drai was signed as a center.

Tarasenko was coming off a 37 goal season when he signed that deal. So I would expect a long term contract would likely be in the 10%+ of the cap ceiling range. So probably an AAV of $8,000,000 to $8,800,000 (if he signs for 11% of an $80,000,000 ceiling).

Laine will be our highest paid player but I don't see a market where he's getting $9+.

My guess is 8 by $8,400,000 (10.5% of Cap Ceiling. A bit more than Tarasenko). Patty Kane's contract was signed a long time ago and the cap was going up at a significantly faster rate at the time. It's almost too old to include so if I were Chevy I'd be arguing to toss it but for these purposes I've showed it.

OV signed a 13 year deal at $9,538,462 which was 16.82% of the Cap Ceiling at the time. He was coming off of a 65 goal 47 assist season. 112 points in 82 games. Arguably the best statistical season of his career.

You are wrong in one thing. Centers don't make more money because they centers but because they are generally better players.

None of the guys you mentioned is not a comparable to centers like McDavid or Eichel. They have their own comparable centers at their skill level who make same kind of money as the wingers you mentioned.

Also none of the wingers you mentioned expect Kane after that deal is not a comparable for Laine not even Tarasenko.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Yeah, Laine is 19 and he's destroying Tarasenko's career high in goals and potentially in points. Even if it's a higher scoring season than in the recent past.

As it is I see 8mil as the absolute floor.

19GoalsInPlayoffs

Jan 30, 2017

Maybe we should just wait and see how high this ”nice 40+ goal” season ends. For example 54 is also ”40+”. And much more exceptional than ”just 40+” where he is sitting right now. There are plenty of games left.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
My only hope is that he loves Winnipeg and the Jets enough to want to stay and not handcuff the team from surrounding him with good players.

Reactions: Stej

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
My only hope is that he loves Winnipeg and the Jets enough to want to stay and not handcuff the team from surrounding him with good players.

It's so hard to tell just by being a fan, but Laine does seem like a guy who is more keen on team winning than personal payday. Of course money still matters and he has an agent to negotiate the best possible contract to him. But if I'd have to make a list of guys I think could be taking discount Laine would be on that list. How much about that is my fandom and how much reality, I don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad