Confirmed with Link: Laine + Roslovic (Extended) to Columbus for Dubois + 3rd (Mod Warning Post #290)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Tough to lose a player like Laine, but I love this deal for the Jets.

how many assets were lost trying to secure a 2C - which now looks more like a 1A and 1B?

I wonder if they go with more balance or do they try to go heavy with the top 6 (moving Stastny to the W?).

A balanced lineup -
Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Copp PLD Ehlers
Perreault Stastny Vesal./Appleton
Harkins Lowry Lewis/Thompson

A top heavy lineup
Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Stastny PLD Ehlers
Copp Lowry Perreault
Harkins Lewis Appleton
With Vesalainen and Thompson as extra F’s?

how do they line up best?

I think they go with your second lineup.
Copp-Lowry tend to be paired together because they often go against other teams top lines in a defensive role.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
The thought of Scheifele - Dubois at 1-2 is beyond exciting to me. We now have a legit, probably soon elite combo down the middle. This is what championship teams are made of. And, Dubois is a play driver. We’re a better team today with this trade, in my own opinion.

I think both Laine and Dubois will put up similar/same ballpark points, with Laine scoring more goals. But all in all I think they tap out as pretty equal. We’ll see how this post ages. :laugh:

Scheifele - Dubois - Stastny - Lowry. Name a better team down the middle.

FWIW a Leaf fan here, and my initial response when this was announced was "Boy its going to be fun watching Winnipeg's big two against ours."

Dubois absolutely killed us in the playoffs last year. The kid is really good.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Really painful to trade away Laine. I'm a little underwhelmed at the moment, but there are some reasons for optimism in the deal.

1. We've converted a winger into a center, and positionally having that strength down the middle likely makes us a slightly stronger team.
2. Cap allocation wise, if the Jets can get PLD to extend at some point, it's a much better allocation of cap to spend it on another C than 4 high priced wingers.
3. It's probable that Laine's expected salary expectation is much higher than the Jets want to go (especially considering #2).
4. If we are looking to deal Laine because of #3, getting a one for one (and a C to boot) in PLD is much preferable over a bunch of picks and prospects.
5. In the offseason when there is more cap space (MP and PS gone), it "should" be much easier to add a top 6 winger to the team over a top 6 C.
6. Pure speculation based on nothing, but if Laine has some sort of chronic back issue, that could be a good thing to avoid investing big money into.

What do we need though? After quarantine, we need to see PLD come in and be the player he was in last years playoffs and not the player that showed up in the first few games in CLB this year.

Still really tough to see Laine go.

Great post, covers it for me pretty well.

If we manage to re-sign PLD to a long term deal then this is an easy win. If we don't, then I suspect both teams lose because I don't see Laine signing in Columbus.

The Roslovic deal is not a big surprise as there was little value there. Roslovic and his agent chose arguably the worst time to sit out and stuck to their guns. A 3rd rounder is highly unlikely to equate to Roslovic even as those around here viewed him as a low end player. But it's an asset regardless. Was hoping for a 2nd, but meh.

Losing Laine definitely hurts as he was one of my favorite players. So overall I'm rather sad at the moment but business is business.

DeeQ

Apr 1, 2017
So apparently Laine and CBJ have already had contract talks. Long term...

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Yeah I can see him signing there -- marquee player and big draw. Don't see PLD signing long here but might be able to dish him towards the end.

mike the carpenter

Aug 2, 2020
My first thought is that it’s just sad to see a player like Laine go. My youngest son plays in the Q but still has his Laine jersey tacked to his bedroom wall at his billet house.
Laine has that weird superstar charisma that some people just have, no matter what.

I wish him all the best in Columbus and I will be cheering for him to do well.

That said, I still think Chevy is the perfect GM for this team and has made another good move to improve it. Be careful what you wish for critics! I live in Ottawa now. Take my word for it, the Jets have a good GM. Try living in a town with a bad management group running the show. It sucks.

PLD makes the Jets better now and there’s some possibility that the team can keep him long term. I think it’s more likely they keep PLD than would have been the case with Laine.

None

Feb 22, 2012
I just hope Maurice gives Scheif-Dubois-Statsny-Lowry at shot at 1-4C, rather than shifting one to the wing.

Maurice said Stastny to W is an option so... :laugh:

I'd bet Stastny at W is going to be one of the first things they try.

Reactions: SI

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I love it, great deal for both teams. Laine wanted out, PLD wanted out and both GM’s gave them what they wanted.

Thanks Laine & Jack, wish you guys the best.

PLD welcome to Winnipeg, we’re going to love you here.
My sentiments excactly!

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Chevy was surprisingly forthcoming in his interview about why Laine wanted to be moved. Basically confirmed that he wanted to play on the top line with Scheifele and that after playing on the top line with Scheif in his rookie season there was an expectation that the role would continue and keep growing. Mentioned that they got to play together for most of last season but the analytics showed that it just wasn't working.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

So?

You don't believe the Jets and Laine have had these talks through his RFA years? He clearly has a price to buy any arb and UFA years. Good for Columbus if they think the value is there.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Watching the interviews, Wheeler pretty clearly doesn't give a shit and Ehlers is MAD. Wheeler has glowing reviews of PLD but he's malaise as heck about Laine's performance and their relationship. Thanks, Blake.

Wheeler's comments are a lot more nuanced than you are pointing them out be. He is an extremely well spoken player who gave a complex answer that touches on a lot of things that can't be summed up in two lines to paint him in an unfavorable light like you are trying to. I suggest people hear it for themselves.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Watching the interviews, Chevy let it slip that he was in the market for a top center or top defenseman as a return for Laine :eek: I guess he's not happy with how things are looking with our prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad