Recalled/Assigned: Laine placed on IR, Julian Melchiori recalled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Chiarot out for Melchiori, I guess. Might not be a big loss. No surprise on Laine.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It's been seven days so they can do that now and plausibly he was going to miss the next three on road anyway so there's an open roster spot for those ones so why not. Am I failing to understand something crucial here?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
No, really more to do with Melchiori being recalled. Chiarot to the PB mercifully, although it's not like they upgraded.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Injured Reserve List

In the event that a player is injured and a Club wishes to place him on the Injured Reserve List the Club must follow these procedures:

A club may place a player on the Injured Reserve List if such player is injured, disabled or ill and unable to perform his duties as a hockey player after having passed the Club's initial physical examination in that season.

A player who has an injury that renders him physically unable to play for a minumum of seven days after that date of the injury can be placed on the Club's Injured Reserve List. Once a player is placed on the list, the Club may replace said player on its NHL roster with another player. All determinations that a player has suffered an injury warranting injured reserve status must be made by the Club's medical staff and in accordance with the Club's medical standards.

A player placed on Injured Reserve is ineligible to compete in NHL games for a period of not less than seven days.

Players on Injured Reserve may attend Club meetings and meals, travel with the Club and participate in practice sessions.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26377#injured

It's a freebie really to do this move? Plus, wouldn't this hint that they initially weren't even sure if he would be the required seven days off, i.e. there wasn't especially serious symptoms from the concussion? You could put a player on IR immediately if you were sure he won't be back in a week, couldn't you? The injury happened on 7th, now is 13th... maybe they only now know that there will certainly be a seven days of absense?

Last edited:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Been calling for Melchiori in that third pairing for awhile, Chairot needs to be taken out but not sure I want him with Postma, would rather have him covering Buff.

Think he would be a perfect fit with Myers when he returns.

ItchyScratchy77

Jul 1, 2016
Winnipeg
Injured Reserve List

In the event that a player is injured and a Club wishes to place him on the Injured Reserve List the Club must follow these procedures:

A club may place a player on the Injured Reserve List if such player is injured, disabled or ill and unable to perform his duties as a hockey player after having passed the Club's initial physical examination in that season.

A player who has an injury that renders him physically unable to play for a minumum of seven days after that date of the injury can be placed on the Club's Injured Reserve List. Once a player is placed on the list, the Club may replace said player on its NHL roster with another player. All determinations that a player has suffered an injury warranting injured reserve status must be made by the Club's medical staff and in accordance with the Club's medical standards.

A player placed on Injured Reserve is ineligible to compete in NHL games for a period of not less than seven days.

Players on Injured Reserve may attend Club meetings and meals, travel with the Club and participate in practice sessions.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26377#injured

It's a freebie really to do this move? Plus, wouldn't this hint that they initially weren't even sure if he would be the required seven days off, i.e. there wasn't especially serious symptoms from the concussion? You could put a player on IR immediately if you were sure he won't be back in a week, couldn't you? The injury happened on 7th, now is 13th... maybe they only now know that there will certainly be a seven days of absense?

Sounds logical. If the team sees an obvious and apparent injury, place him on the IR and get a body up asap. If immediately following and injury, a player exhibits no sign of sustained, hindering injury, you wait it out a bit. From this, I get that Laine is exhibiting mild concussions symptoms. If he had immediate, obvious concussion symptoms, they would have IR'd him sooner. If he had none, he would be playing. Just my take.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
They're going on a road trip and want the extra bodies on the trip. Laine was never going on the trip but to save money on the Melchiori contract, they wait until the day they leave to pay him his NHL salary to sit in the box as the 23rd roster player. Better to go on the trip with a full roster than short a guy in case someone else gets hurt. Cheaper to already have the guy with you than have to call him up from wherever the Moose are and get him to California too, quicker logistically as well obviously.

Also, by retroactively placing Laine on the IR, I believe they save a bit of cap space too, not sure if that really matters, but I think it's true.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Been calling for Melchiori in that third pairing for awhile, Chairot needs to be taken out but not sure I want him with Postma, would rather have him covering Buff.

Think he would be a perfect fit with Myers when he returns.

Chia missed practice yesterday, no? So he is injured. Melchiori is brought up. That doesn't mean he will play.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Or then this has nothing to do with Laine being in good or bad shape after injury. Could even be that someone else is having a mild injury/sickness which may last less than 7 days. Placing Laine on IR allows replacing said player for 1-2 games.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Or then this has nothing to do with Laine being in good or bad shape after injury. Could even be that someone else is having a mild injury/sickness which may last less than 7 days. Placing Laine on IR allows replacing said player for 1-2 games.

Is there any reason to not put a player on IR if you know he's going to be out for seven+ days? You do get a healthy player in to the roster and there's the cap benefit too (probably meaningless in this case though).

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Is there any reason to not put a player on IR if you know he's going to be out for seven+ days? You do get a healthy player in to the roster and there's the cap benefit too (probably meaningless in this case though).

Because it crushes their hopes of coming back early, leading to severe depression and binge ice cream eating?

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Forgot about that. Well, hopefully this means Chiarot is replaced by Melchiori for a bit then. Even if that upgrade is minimal.

Hopefully Myers' mystery injury heals quickly. We're really missing him on the bottom pairing right now.

If we have Postma - Myers as 3rd pairing, our D would look much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad