Speculation: Laine Mega Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
Q: "What does Laine have to do to get the money he’s worth?"
A: what he is worth and what you think he is are 2 different things.

You want to ignore his 50 point season and pretend he just posted 80+ points. It doesn't work that way. But hey, you probably are just like his agent...."let's ignore this season".

I’m not ignoring it. I’m looking at his larger body of work. Two near generational seasons > one subpar year (that he still scored thirty goals in!)

Reactions: mattihp

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
There’s only one other winger in the game today besides Ovi that can put the puck in the net consistently and efficiently- Patrik Laine.

His down year last year was just a speed bump in what’s going to be a long and successful career. Unfortunately it’s clouding people’s judgment on his worth.

Except one was a generational talent posting multiple 100 pts ++ season and the other one has a career high 70 points and 50 points last year. They’re not comparable

I’m not ignoring it. I’m looking at his larger body of work. Two near generational seasons > one subpar year (that he still scored thirty goals in!)

64 and 70 points are not generational seasons. Please. This is ridiculous. 36 and 44 goals aren’t even close to being considered generational season either. I just can’t believe what I’m reading

Reactions: oldunclehue

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
generational is such a flawed word here.

Reality, over the 3 years he has paced for 64 points. Yes it's heavy on goals, but it's still 64 point pace. So pay him like a 64 point guy....because that is what he has done. AND his ES scoring has declined.....now he is a PP guy.

And even if you IGNORE this past season...he is a 70 point guy. That's the best he has shown. And this year, 50 players had 70+ points this year.

Again...if he progressed from those 2 years and posted 80+ points, he would have gotten his big money because he would have earned it. Now, what he "is" can be questioned. And when that happens, a bridge deal is usually the solution. Delay the decision until more info is gathered. And it might cost the Jets more long term, it might not.

We have no need to continue to go back and forth on this, neither will change their mind. But I guarantee Chevy won't be giving him a 9.5+ million contract. Laine is closer to Ehlers than he is Wheeler right now.

Reactions: oldunclehue

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
I’ve made a bet, over/under 7.5 on a bridge. I saw he’s going to be under 7.5 if it’s a bridge deal. There has been no bridge deal that high before.

At this point I believe Ratanen is a much more valuable/less risky signing and word is long terms Avs Are in the ball park if $8.5....so Laine does not get a bridge near what a long term deal is.
too much for him. Should be around 6

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
generational is such a flawed word here.

Reality, over the 3 years he has paced for 64 points. Yes it's heavy on goals, but it's still 64 point pace. So pay him like a 64 point guy....because that is what he has done. AND his ES scoring has declined.....now he is a PP guy.

And even if you IGNORE this past season...he is a 70 point guy. That's the best he has shown. And this year, 50 players had 70+ points this year.

Again...if he progressed from those 2 years and posted 80+ points, he would have gotten his big money because he would have earned it. Now, what he "is" can be questioned. And when that happens, a bridge deal is usually the solution. Delay the decision until more info is gathered. And it might cost the Jets more long term, it might not.

We have no need to continue to go back and forth on this, neither will change their mind. But I guarantee Chevy won't be giving him a 9.5+ million contract. Laine is closer to Ehlers than he is Wheeler right now.

Goal scorers get paid. Come on.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
At this point the Jets should.give him.a overpay on aav on a 3 year deal just to end it, give him soft minutes to out up goals and trade him for closer to fair value over the summer.

I'll m sire some.fams would stubbornly let him miss the season than do that, but it would be nothing but a met loss for team.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Goal scorers get paid. Come on.
It doesn't mean you ignore all the other flaws in his game.

Last 3 years he has .46 G/game....Atkinson and Arvidson each have .44 G/game. So pay him slightly more than them.

Reality is, Laine needs a more well rounded game. He is likely the most 1 dimensional player in the league. Chevy won't pay him assuming he will get better, and will rebound. He will want proof he has already done it. Hence the bridge that likely gets things done. Laine can prove what he is. Chevy gets proof what he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad