Laine is having multiple career worst stretches in several different offensive categories right now

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
Looking at Laine's stats you can clearly see how absolutely horrible he's been lately.

18 regular season games in a row without a 2 Point game. (worst stretch of his career)
1 powerplay goal in the last 23 regular season games. (worst stretch of his career)
2 goals in his last 15 regular season games. (worst stretch of his career)
1 secondary assit in the 47 games he's played this season. (worst stretch of his career)
:shakehead

The most shocking is the secondary assit one becuse that would suggest Laine is unlucky on top of struggling. Everybody who has watched Laine play know that he's no elite playmaker. But despite that Laine had 15 secondary assists in his first season and 14 secondary assists in his second season. So Laine is basically missing 5+ luck based Points right now.

And the powerplay one is also surprising since the powerplay has been Laine's bread and butter since the start of 2017-18 with 31 goals. It's like it's a combination of struggling and bad conditioning from Laine's part, made worse by adding bad luck and an incompetent coach on top of it all.

Only 35 games left for Laine before the regular season is over and with 25+9=34 Points it's not looking good for Laine. Even if Laine goes Point per game he'll only finish with 69 Points in 82 games. And with the late season struggles Laine had both in 2017 and in 2018, it's not looking good for Laine right now if he wants that big Money deal next season.

Furio

you got a bee on your hat
Nov 20, 2018
Naples
He’s a 30+ goal per year forward with not much else to offer when he’s on a cold streak. He needs to add more tools to his box but fortunately he’s still very young.

Last edited:

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
He looked like he was heating up the last game, hopefully he can get out of the slump.

It is a huge win for Jets though if they don't have to pay 10 million for a 40+ goal scorer.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
Don't really read the non-fan bases sections that much. I'm more interested, is Mulletman really a some fan or troll? Just now he was bashing on Barkov and now Laine. I know, I know, I know. Laine hasn't been playing very good, but still a 20-year old. Barkov, he's like 23 (?) and being a man every team would like to have, I guess it goes to Laine also.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Don't really read the non-fan bases sections that much. I'm more interested, is Mulletman really a some fan or troll? Just now he was bashing on Barkov and now Laine. I know, I know, I know. Laine hasn't been playing very good, but still a 20-year old. Barkov, he's like 23 (?) and being a man every team would like to have, I guess it goes to Laine also.

He is the "hot take" artist on this forum. Whenever somebody is having a slump, you'll hear about it from him.

Nonetheless the statistics that he has posted are true. This is the worst slump of Laine's career, and from his perspective, he couldn't have had a worse timing with a contract negotiation on the way. This slump may have cost him millions.

From a Jets perspective, as long as Laine will eventually dig his way out of this, and remain a steady 40 goal scorer, this was probably in the team's best interests.

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007

I would guess he's a finnish fan who just likes to mess around.:DD

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Looking at Laine's stats you can clearly see how absolutely horrible he's been lately.

18 regular season games in a row without a 2 Point game. (worst stretch of his career)
1 powerplay goal in the last 23 regular season games. (worst stretch of his career)
2 goals in his last 15 regular season games. (worst stretch of his career)
1 secondary assit in the 47 games he's played this season. (worst stretch of his career)
:shakehead

The most shocking is the secondary assit one becuse that would suggest Laine is unlucky on top of struggling. Everybody who has watched Laine play know that he's no elite playmaker. But despite that Laine had 15 secondary assists in his first season and 14 secondary assists in his second season. So Laine is basically missing 5+ luck based Points right now.

And the powerplay one is also surprising since the powerplay has been Laine's bread and butter since the start of 2017-18 with 31 goals. It's like it's a combination of struggling and bad conditioning from Laine's part, made worse by adding bad luck and an incompetent coach on top of it all.

Only 35 games left for Laine before the regular season is over and with 25+9=34 Points it's not looking good for Laine. Even if Laine goes Point per game he'll only finish with 69 Points in 82 games. And with the late season struggles Laine had both in 2017 and in 2018, it's not looking good for Laine right now if he wants that big Money deal next season.
Yes! I would like to add that Laine is not a key player at the moment. Winnipeg belongs to the top 5 in NHL(64 p),but Laine did not contriute much to it. Winnipeg doesn t really need him. This is why the Jets have the longer leverage in contract negiotiations. Sorry for this hard words(for Laine-Fans). But that had to be said.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Laine forgot how to hockey, and since they aren't pairing him with a playmaker, he can't use his world class shot that much either. I assume this is good for his development in other areas.

The Jets have positioned themselves beautifully and could have another Scheifelean deal on their hands if Laine later develops into what he is projecting to be (Laine is one of the greatest goal-scorers of all-time when comparing to players his age historically, and this is without playing with a playmaker for 2,5 seasons. If not THE greatest, but I think Gretzky overtook him again since his slump [era-adjusting obviously]).

Laine usually starts waking up around this time of the year, so maybe he will start making a splash, but banking money on the Little-Laine pairing is not very smart.

I think they are again looking for a Stastny at the trade deadline so they can actually have some ES offense (the team is weak in this area). When that happened last season, Laine immediately broke MacKinnon's teenage point streak record and went on an unbelievable run.

Last edited:

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Jets fans should be stoked. He’s much much better than this and they’ve probably saved a few million dollars a season based off how this one has gone. Especially considering the team can win without Laine, this is somewhat ideal looking long term. If he shows up for the playoffs who cares.

Yes, exactly. He is just a kid with one absolutely brilliant aspect to his game. The rest of it will probably come along later, as it does for most talented 20 year olds. Meanwhile the contract should come in at a reasonable level. He's very hard on himself and not the greedy type at all.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
He's a pure goal scorer, sort of like Alexander Semin or Mike Hoffman. Very one dimensional and not someone you'd build around, but a good complimentary piece.
Semin wasn't pure goal scorer.

f2Jf1ei1nmuH85yYk75BQ7N9Zt5VC89V65neDgyn1_Q.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad