Post-Game Talk: Laine gone wild; Jets beat canes 3-2

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I was just about to leave this thread for the day until I saw this post. This is exactly how I feel as well. If you look back over years of games that Little has played, he absolutely plays like you point out. Players have their 'style' of play and Little always did best with Ladd and Wheeler. MP, Roslovic, Ehlers, Laine play nothing like that. Every one of these players is very good at their game (Little included here), but I really feel like we have been asking a lot of Little this year. We certainly have a couple of different 'camps' of players with different styles. I don't believe that every player can play and be successful at every type of game.

Maybe the option is to play Little and Wheeler together again? Who else would fit on that type of line at LW?

I think the first thing you'll see is a Connor Perreault swap

Reactions: Jimby

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
That it's Little dragging them down. What about PLE? Or is that conveniently forgotten because it doesn't support the narrative?

PLR, PLE and PLL all have significantly better GDiff and GF% than eg. CSW which is the 1st line. PLR is a bit "outcorsid", that's all.

I don't see the problem Little is having with Perreault or Perreault is having with Little, quite the contrary. Those Little lines with Perreault are +13 combined, while CSW is just +1, 5-on-5.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
PLR, PLE and PLL all have significantly better GDiff and GF% than eg. CSW which is the 1st line. PLR is a bit "outcorsid", that's all.

I don't see the problem Little is having with Perreault or Perreault is having with Little, quite the contrary. Those Little lines with Perreault are +13 combined, while CSW is just +1, 5-on-5.
Neither do I, tell it to the ones who do.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Good defense and great forechecking. It’s opening up a lot for a couple of young superstars. :nod: Love this team having three DEEP lines. It’s what all Cup teams have in common. DEPTH.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
All of it
giphy.gif

Reactions: Duke749

PerryPooley

Dec 28, 2011
Let’s face it, we’re now up in the rarified air of elite team status. What a season it’s been.
They’ve become one of “those” teams fans used to envy.
Bring on the playoffs.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I was just about to leave this thread for the day until I saw this post. This is exactly how I feel as well. If you look back over years of games that Little has played, he absolutely plays like you point out. Players have their 'style' of play and Little always did best with Ladd and Wheeler. MP, Roslovic, Ehlers, Laine play nothing like that. Every one of these players is very good at their game (Little included here), but I really feel like we have been asking a lot of Little this year. We certainly have a couple of different 'camps' of players with different styles. I don't believe that every player can play and be successful at every type of game.

Maybe the option is to play Little and Wheeler together again? Who else would fit on that type of line at LW?

I think that Scelaton`s suggestion of Connor at LW is a good one. He plays a complementary style but adds the element of great speed.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Are you serious? I absolutely love Buff, Wheeler, Scheifele etc. But Little’s new contract is going to be an anchor. He’s played poorly all year and doesn’t click with anyone. Matty P was great even with Hendricks, but has been completely invisible with Little. I bet the second line would start playing great if they got Copp to center them instead.
Serious question, do you watch the Jets much? Little has had some struggles offensively at times this year but he played a great deal for much of the first part of the season with two young players that had some warts of their own in certain areas. It was clear things were not working offensively for them and it was a lazy narrative to blame Little for most of it. Other than that he was part of the Jets best line for the entire time Scheifele was out and has played very well with Perreault and Roslovic more often than not.

Get over Little's contract, it is what it is and it doesn't make him the black hole of a player you portray him to be.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Isn't it interesting that, with all the changes people are proposing, the one line no one is touching is Stastny's.

Talk about a stabilizing force on a young team!

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Let’s face it, we’re now up in the rarified air of elite team status. What a season it’s been.
They’ve become one of “those” teams fans used to envy.
Bring on the playoffs.
honestly? give me the rest of the regular season. you're seeing the power play starting to evolve and Laine waking up. Morrissey's play is also getting better.
trending upward, kids

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Bottom line is we are winning with these lines , i really wouldn't want Maurice to start switching all the lines just for shits and giggles . When Lowry comes back , then the lines might change . If we were losing then by all means switch them up but we aren't so lets just keep doing what we are doing . When Trouba and Enstrom get back , this is one of the best teams in the league , love it , keep winning boys . :thumbu:

Reactions: Ducky10

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Can Chiarot play right side, iirc he can? If so, trade Myers and keep Chiarot, sign Stastny with that money.
Chiarot is good offensively (imho better than Trouba) and capable enough defensively for a 6th defender. Myers was so bad tonight that he got benched in the end.

Myers doesn't free up the money we need. He is gone after next year anyway and we are still up against it. If you want to keep Stastny, you are going to have to move someone else, someone you will not want to part with.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Perreault- Scheifele- Roslo
Ehlers- Statsny- Laine
Connor- Little- Wheeler

Swap Little and Scheifele. That also helps defence wise to split up Connor- Scheif and Wheels. The issue here is lines 2/3 currently only get about 14-16 mins a game. Maurice clearly wants Wheels and scheif to stay together and play 20+. But with that set up I think you just play them all even ES minutes. Have all 3 lines coming in around 17-18 mins for guys that play PP/PK

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
We should consider line matchups when building the narrative of games like this. Scheifele's line essentially got neutralized by Staal's line. That doesn't necessary mean that Scheif and Wheeler suck.

Listening to the post-game analysis and comments, the top two lines of these teams cancelled each other out. Maurice was fine having Scheif's line out against Staal because he could match size for size. That sacrifices the line's point production. The good thing is, if you know you're a deeper team, it makes (theoretically) for easier matchups for our other three lines.

Some may think Laine and Ehlers should be rewarded with more ice-time because of their production. But more ice-time means tougher match ups. If Scheif and Wheeler absorb the tough minutes, and Ehlers and Laine take the softer minutes and dominate their matchups, AND the team is winning, how is that bad?

With more minutes comes more focus from the opposition and tougher matchups. It doesn't instantly translate into more points.

This was also why Matty P was able to put up crazy production on the 4th line for awhile.

Maurice also said that if Lowry was in the lineup the situation would have changed. Then you could potentially throw Lowry's line against Staal's line because Lowry has the size to match up. This would then give them other options for the Scheifele line.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
We should consider line matchups when building the narrative of games like this. Scheifele's line essentially got neutralized by Staal's line. That doesn't necessary mean that Scheif and Wheeler suck.
Exactly! Teams playing the Jets will have to decide which line they have to defend. You want to stop the #1 line or #2 line?
And the good teams who can stop the #1 & 2 lines will have to deal with the Jets 3rd line. What a wonderful problem to have.

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
I doubt wheeler would want to go back to playing with little considering his style of play.....maybe little belongs on the fourth line as offensively he doesn't have the drive or can drive the play like ehlers, scheif,

Reactions: Ippenator

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I doubt wheeler would want to go back to playing with little considering his style of play.....maybe little belongs on the fourth line as offensively he doesn't have the drive or can drive the play like ehlers, scheif,

Maybe you just severely under rate Bryan Litle?

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg

So much wrong here.

There is so much data to prove you wrong.....

Goal totals
Assist totals
Point totals
Primary point totals
G/60
A/60
Primary points per 60
History
Xgoals
Corsi
Fenwick
Relcorsi
Common sense

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Myers doesn't free up the money we need. He is gone after next year anyway and we are still up against it. If you want to keep Stastny, you are going to have to move someone else, someone you will not want to part with.

Dump Myers/Mason/Mathias/Toby/Tanev

Bridge 1 or 2 of JoMo/Connor/Helle/Lowry

See if we can get Stastny on a 3 year 5.25mil.

Only works if he's willing to take a bit of a discount to try and Win a cup here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad