Laine as a defenceman

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Can you imagine it? I feel like with his tools on the back end he would have competed even harder with Matthews for the 1OA.

He'd have more time and space in the offensive zone on the point, and we've all seen how effective his shot is from there. He could sneak down into the slot to get off the wrister without sacrificing positioning down low. His vision would make him an ideal quarterback. Players need to respect his shot and he would be able to see everyone on the ice. He could also have more time to generate speed through the neutral zone carrying the puck from his own end, making his acceleration issue less of an issue. His top speed is good and when he gets there he's very hard to stop.

As a young kid he has aspects of his defensive game that need to be ironed out, but once he does... Holy ****. That size, that reach, that strength. I can't imagine any drafted defenseman in recent memory who would have been viewed as having higher upside than him.

I know it's silly, he's probably already a franchise winger... But I can't help myself. Sometimes when I watch him I wonder if it was ever a consideration.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I feel like it's going to be tough for him to be better as anything other than a winger, considering how good he is at being a winger already.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
I do see the merit of the observation, he would transfer over to D better than Matthews, IMO, although I think Matthews could likely still be a 1/2 DMan anyways. This all assuming they made the switch earlier. Laine would be tough as nails, he'd dictate the pace of the play, and he'd snipe from the blueline and slot. I could see him being a Burns-esque player, or maybe like Jones, but I think he'd be better quicker. This all, of course, ignoring the fact that this is all outside the realm of reasonable possibility.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
As a young kid he has aspects of his defensive game that need to be ironed out, but once he does... Holy ****. That size, that reach, that strength. I can't imagine any drafted defenseman in recent memory who would have been viewed as having higher upside than him.
"Ironing out?" You don't iron you a completely different playing position. Of course he would have the most upside as a defenceman, when his starting point a defenceman is not even ECHL caliber.

I know it's silly
Yes. That's the only thing I agree. :handclap:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I dunno. Can he skate backwards?
He's actually pretty good at it.

You know, Laine as a defenseman makes quite a bit of sense, technically. He's good at skating backwards, he likes to hang out a bit further back anyway, he doesn't need to be very close to properly make use of his shot, he's big and has some physical aspects, etc. and he also likes to make some plays to just drive the net. This kind of a play style might function just fine as a defenseman, although of course he'd need to work on his defensive game a lot.

I did suggest this like a year ago with poor feedback but it makes sense to me. It wouldn't be the first time a winger becomes a defenseman.

paragon

May 5, 2010
"Ironing out?" You don't iron you a completely different playing position. Of course he would have the most upside as a defenceman, when his starting point a defenceman is not even ECHL caliber.

Yes. That's the only thing I agree. :handclap:
Sure, it's easy to iron it out. It's not rocket science. Of course every good scoring forward know what defensemen are supposed to do to prevent them from scoring.

I know Fedorov, Burns and Byfuglien did it and there are plenty of other less prominent players who switched their roles.

I agree with OP, he could be a great defenseman. There's also a big demand on right-handed offensive defensemen. The only negative thing I see is that Patrik shoots way better from his off-wing and handedness is way more important on defensemen than it is on wingers, especially on the power play.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
We have reached offseason **** posting and the Cup hasn't even been awarded yet.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Imagine Lundqvist as a forward. Wow, would score so many goals.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
As ridiculous as it sounds, I believe he would be good at it if he wanted to be. This is a guy who can learn a language in a couple months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad