Value of: Laine and his new contract

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That Draisaitl contract will be looking like a steal very soon. As for Laine, I think it will be 10m.

Scheifele/Mack/Barkov are making around 6M per year, Drai contract won't be a steal but it can be good value to Edmonton.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
As a leaf fan I will say the Jets were further ahead of the Leafs last year in development, not sure about this year, but to use history is just wrong. Don't forget you guys inherited an established team with some good players already in place.
Lol, we had a couple of good players, but not much after that. We drafted our way into where we are now.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Lol, we had a couple of good players, but not much after that. We drafted our way into where we are now.

a couple?

Buff, Wheeler, Little, Enstrom, Kane --> Myers, Ladd --> Dano + Stanley

thats a pretty good start. where would the jets be without Wheeler,Buff, and Myers now?

Reactions: Critical91

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Eichel is a bad example.
When Eichel signed his 2nd contract he was probably rightly sure that many of those 8 years would be spent on a bottom feeder. Even with Dahlin that still rings true. So he was correct in taking as many $s as possible because by the time those draftees are ready & gel into a team his cap hit will be a smaller % of the cap.
It must be depressing entering games when you are expected to lose & the crowd actually encourages losing.

Laine is in the opposite situation. He knows he can be a key part of a SC winner within the next few years but another big part will be playing with good players to make it happen. Although he'll be worth $10-11 million per winning might override $s in the short term. @ say 3 x 6-7 it leaves cap to keep other top enders with 4 years left before he's RFA again (reason I chose 3). He's got a great window to win @ least 1 SC while under 25 while still piling up enough money to keep him supplied with the latest video games for life. He plays on a team where wins are expected by both the team & the crowd with a very close locker room where you can count on every player to give top effort & support each other.
Knowing you can/are likely to win plays a big part with competitive players like Laine.

so Laine leaves 9-10 million on the table over those 3 years?....thats kinda a lot for a young guy that hasnt made bank yet.

the jets could go the kucherov route. maybe give him a 2 year bridge at 6 or something.
but in 3 years when he deserves to be one of the highest paid players, they might have to give him 11mil+ x 8

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
8 million a year is not a sweetheart deal. Im willing to bet Laines contract is less than 10M.

making 1 mil more than Evander Kane would be a sweetheart deal for the jets
how on earth do they give him 500k less than Draisaitl who just had 19g less (same pts) when the cap has gone up 9.4% since then and will probably go up another few percent next summer?

This is gonna be 7-8 years x 9-9.5 IMHO

not sure Laine gets 10

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
That Draisatl contract is a big reason why 2nd contracts for star forwards are getting silly. The rest of the league is shaking their fists at Chia who in one summer set the benchmark for two tiers of players.
What did you think of the Ekblad contract signed a year earlier than Draisaitl's?

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
making 1 mil more than Evander Kane would be a sweetheart deal for the jets
how on earth do they give him 500k less than Draisaitl who just had 19g less (same pts) when the cap has gone up 9.4% since then and will probably go up another few percent next summer?

This is gonna be 7-8 years x 9-9.5 IMHO

not sure Laine gets 10
Yeah well everybody and their mother thinks that EKanes deal is overpayment. Im not saying that Laine couldnt get top dollars. Im saying Laine might not want to... Its a farfetched idea but helps the team in the long run. Think about Josi, Karlsson etc. Their contracts were ridiculous sweetheart hoochie coochie deals

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
The thing that might hamper Laine from getting a big Money deal is the fact that he's Finnish. Finnish people are often humble and stupid when it comes to Money. Just look at Selanne, he made a career out of being underpaid. First he started off playing several seasons in Finland instead of going to the NHL were he could've made more. Then he was able to convince Winnipeg to sign Tkachuk for morethan himself, despite having the best rookie season of all time. And after he went to Anaheim he was ok with Kariya making more despite the fact that he had to carry him to all his success. And in his later years after returning to Anaheim, Selanne played for peanuts despite putting up back to back 90 Point seasons and still being 8th in scoring as a 40 year old. Hopefully Laine has a competent agent who wont let this happen.

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
While I agree with rest of the post, saying Kariya got carried to ALL his success by Selänne is certainly far from the truth.

If Laine plays this year without getting a deal, and he gets another 40+ goal season he will easily get 10mil+, imo.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
The thing that might hamper Laine from getting a big Money deal is the fact that he's Finnish. Finnish people are often humble and stupid when it comes to Money. Just look at Selanne, he made a career out of being underpaid. First he started off playing several seasons in Finland instead of going to the NHL were he could've made more. Then he was able to convince Winnipeg to sign Tkachuk for morethan himself, despite having the best rookie season of all time. And after he went to Anaheim he was ok with Kariya making more despite the fact that he had to carry him to all his success. And in his later years after returning to Anaheim, Selanne played for peanuts despite putting up back to back 90 Point seasons and still being 8th in scoring as a 40 year old. Hopefully Laine has a competent agent who wont let this happen.

Most Finnish people are humble or at least not flamboyant, but that doesn't mean they don't understand the value of money, they just understand other aspects of life are valuable too. I'd say more than that Finnish are not greedy - in the big picture it doesn't make a difference does one make 7 or 8 million a year, it's still shitloads of money. Selänne made so much money in his career that he can't spend it in his lifetime living normally. And most Finnish people are pretty normal, even the most successful ones. He took less money because it allowed him to be where he wanted to be and it allowed the team to be better, which made Selänne happy. I'm sure Laine wants to get paid well, but he also wants to be on a good team and have a chance to win SC.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
While I agree with rest of the post, saying Kariya got carried to ALL his success by Selänne is certainly far from the truth.

If Laine plays this year without getting a deal, and he gets another 40+ goal season he will easily get 10mil+, imo.

Yeah how many have scored 36, 44, 40+ in their 1st 3 years since the draft in the NHL?
Something like 7M would never go through.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
2018 and people still don't understand the difference between RFA and UFA.

Apparently Oiler fans understand the CBA as well as their GM

Lmao. I'd rather pay big money for a guy who will keep getting better than a guy who will start to slow down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Lmao. I'd rather pay big money for a guy who will keep getting better than a guy who will start to slow down.
I think we are starting to see a change towards that.

Ideally, you'd see a cap allocation that follows the normal development curve. Cheat but bonus-heavy to start, expensive as they establish themselves, and tapering off after that first big contract. Pay players for what they are expected to do now, not for what they once did.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
As a leaf fan I will say the Jets were further ahead of the Leafs last year in development, not sure about this year, but to use history is just wrong. Don't forget you guys inherited an established team with some good players already in place.
2 years ago the Leafs were ahead of the Jets in development. Then they stalled. What happened?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Explain to me why the Jets had more wins and more points please, instead of using a anecdote two games(in which where tied). What’s embarrassing is the fact the Jets have beaten the Leafs point and win record this season while not even being a 20 year old team yet(while the Leafs are are a original team going back to 1917) that’s pretty embarrassing if you ask me.

Anyways back on topic, Laine was a huge part of that success and he deserves cash for it.
Not very difficult to do. The Jets had more wins because they won more games
As wins commensurate with points, it makes sense that the Jets would also have more points. It is very simple logic. It is not embarrassing to me at all as the Leafs set their own record for points. It doesn't bother me in the least what other teams have or have not done. Yes Laine was a big part of the Jets success and deserves to be paid accordingly.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

You had both your best current forward and your best current defenceman, didn't you?

Imagine being the Jets without those two. That's a top line, world class RW and a #1D.

You would probably look a lot like Toronto last year. Now that we've added Tavares we finally have a world class vet.

2 years ago the Leafs were ahead of the Jets in development. Then they stalled. What happened?

No one said that. The Jets were basically the Leafs, but instead of starting from scratch, they started with Wheeler and Buff. Toronto had Kadri from the old guard, and no one else of note.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

False on the Tkachuk statement. Selanne had no say whatsoever on the Tkachuk contract which was an offer sheet from the Blackhawks with a $6 million dollar price tag in the first year of that contract. After that it dropped to $2.6 million for the remaining years.

Selanne was making $2.75 million that year then jumped to $2.85 million and then to $3.4 million.

Selanne knew his value and wasn’t going to over value himself and hold out because a rival team thought they could poach a player by overpaying him with a poison pill first year on a three year contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flyerfan52

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
I think Patrik Laine is one of the best scorers in the game of ice hockey. But you can't really jump to 10+ after your entry level contract. So maybe 6 millions for some years to prove that you are _the man_ and then fiddle with upper limits.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016

Keep your ignorant comments to yourself next time
Tavares won't get better playing with guys like Marner, Matthews and Nylander but a guy like LD will when his only other support is McDavid...gotcha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad