Waived: Laich, Froese, Campbell & Greening on waivers

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
no, but you'd be better off posting actual captains if you want to show the best leaders in the game. especially if you're making a condescending comment about players looks.
OK. I saw his post different than you then. I thought he was saying that these guys sacrificed their body which is showing their heart and guts hence making them good leaders.

Last edited:

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Marlies are also a very young team and very much in need of leadership which Laich can address.

They're losing a ton of talent to the big club and saw vet leaders in Brennan & Arcobello leave.

All of Dermott, Nielsen, Johnson, Timashov, Valiev, Kapanen, Gauthier are 21 and under who will be rookies or sophomore AHLers.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Doesnt mean they have been cut.

Remember Mike Zigomanis... was waived, but kept up for 8 games. (and was inexplicably sent down for some reason cause I remember us having a good start that year)

IIRC he was also desperately needed because the team couldn't win faceoffs or kill penalties for **** and he was excellent at both.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Are you being sarcastic because assuming those 4 players are Keith, Doughty, Carter and Burns, then none of them are even captains in the NHL.

no, but you'd be better off posting actual captains if you want to show the best leaders in the game. especially if you're making a condescending comment about players looks.

OK. I saw his post different than you then. I thought he was saying that these guys sacrificed their body which is a how in their heart and guts hence making them good leaders.

You're right saltming. What Finnish your Czech and a couple others have failed to acknowledge is that I actually listed more than just the fact that he doesn't block shots with his face (which is a very common hockey phrase) that is used to describe players who will do whatever it takes to win/keep the puck from their net:

What makes him such a good leader? Plays the guitar, has a beautiful hollywood fiance' and likes to wear nice suits? His stats don't say he's a good leader, his effort on the ice doesn't say he's a great leader... he's not blocking shots with his face or standing up for his young players, has the guy ever had as much as a scratch on his mug? Is that luck, or because he avoids the rough parts of the game?I think he's a poor leader to be honest...

I summarized what coaches often consider to be traits of good leaders. There are the players who lead on the scoresheet (maybe an ovechkin, or thornton, Kovalchuk), there are players who lead with their heart and hustle ... Callahan in his rangers days, Nick Foligno possibly, Gallagher or Marchand...there are players who lead by standing up for their teammates and/or blocking shots and doing whatever it takes to keep the puck out of their net.. Jason Smith in Edmonton, Matt Greene in L.A, Gary Roberts in Toronto.

I don't think I've ever heard of a leader on a team, who lacks all the above traits, but is just great with the kids, or a great speaker. Hence the reason I questioned what makes Laich a good leader.

Last edited:

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Hmm this thought just occurred. What if leafs are sending these players down to clear space for a potential trade? maybe someone of Anaheim's crowded blueline, like fowler. Im sure the ducks really want to get on with the season and sign rakell and Lindholm but dont have the cap sapce to do so. Maybe some sort of trade for some young forwards, who can help the group immediately up front?? just a thought

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
Hmm this thought just occurred. What if leafs are sending these players down to clear space for a potential trade? maybe someone of Anaheim's crowded blueline, like fowler. Im sure the ducks really want to get on with the season and sign rakell and Lindholm but dont have the cap sapce to do so. Maybe some sort of trade for some young forwards, who can help the group immediately up front?? just a thought

I hope not. Anaheim's contracts are ugly and they have so many NMCs for this upcoming expansion draft. Ideally the leafs would take a 1 year cap dump for draft picks and the leafs only have 2 mil in cap space.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

They're sending players down because they need to get their active roster down to 23 players by Wednesday. They still need to make 1 or 2 more cuts. Probably deciding between Leivo and Corrado.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

doubtful, we're allowed to be 10% over until we have to be compliant on the first day of the season. Waiving them now and then acquiring something wouldn't really solve anything different than acquiring something and then waiving them today or Tuesday.

It's possible we're sending them down to be compliant, use LTIR and then acquire something and call then back up, but sending down the actual players who aren't gonna be on the team serve the same purpose.

From what Babcock said the other day Hyman and Brown are on this team, all the other borderline guys are all over 925k contracts except Leivo so wouldn't make a difference who went down they all gets 925k savings, and if they're playing on waiving Leivo they could do both.

The only thing I can think of is they want to wait until the 1st day of the season before they waive Leivo if that's what they want to do. Teams aren't set yet so if they waived Leivo now it gives teams a day or so to figure out the team after they claim him. If they set the team with Leivo, and then waive him Wednesday everyone else's roster is already set then they have to scramble to find Leivo a roster spot if they want to claim him.

But I think Leivo would be claimed regardless of when he's waived. Frk was just claimed by multiple teams and Leivo is better. I don't see this as roster games though, I think they legitimately won't have Greening or Laich on the roster, Leivo will start in the press box as an asset management thing and he'll have to please Babcock in practice before he find himself in a game

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
They're sending players down because they need to get their active roster down to 23 players by Wednesday. They still need to make 1 or 2 more cuts. Probably deciding between Leivo and Corrado.

unless they sign Prust roster is already set once they cut him and Sosh goes down which is already confirmed. Both Corrado and Leivo will be on it unless this is some type of roster games.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
A lot of star players seem to credit the veteran plugs as the big influences and not the elite guys. I'm not a pro hockey player so I can't say for certain but I think it's a matter of who you have around the kids to teach them how to be pros, not necessarily how many points they had in their careers.

The kids have the skills already anyway. It's the other stuff they need to learn.

PR move.

Mar 26, 2010
guess the youth movement might be full ahead IF these two get claimed

Good! Did not want any of them on the team or dressing room.

Very happy to see they are going with the young guns.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Feel for Laich - the guy was the face of the WSH franchise in a President Cup race and traded here as a cap dump; now is being demoted.

He deserves a better fate.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
You're right saltming. What Finnish your Czech and a couple others have failed to acknowledge is that I actually listed more than just the fact that he doesn't block shots with his face (which is a very common hockey phrase) that is used to describe players who will do whatever it takes to win/keep the puck from their net:

What makes him such a good leader? Plays the guitar, has a beautiful hollywood fiance' and likes to wear nice suits? His stats don't say he's a good leader, his effort on the ice doesn't say he's a great leader... he's not blocking shots with his face or standing up for his young players, has the guy ever had as much as a scratch on his mug? Is that luck, or because he avoids the rough parts of the game?I think he's a poor leader to be honest...

I summarized what coaches often consider to be traits of good leaders. There are the players who lead on the scoresheet (maybe an ovechkin, or thornton, Kovalchuk), there are players who lead with their heart and hustle ... Callahan in his rangers days, Nick Foligno possibly, Gallagher or Marchand...there are players who lead by standing up for their teammates and/or blocking shots and doing whatever it takes to keep the puck out of their net.. Jason Smith in Edmonton, Matt Greene in L.A, Gary Roberts in Toronto.

I don't think I've ever heard of a leader on a team, who lacks all the above traits, but is just great with the kids, or a great speaker. Hence the reason I questioned what makes Laich a good leader.
I believe they call this guy "coach"

I have to admit I'm not a Caps fan, far from it so I have only really seen Laich play for us so I can't comment on what he is like as a leader, bit I do agree with what you see as a leader on the ice.

It's a multifaceted role being a leader and a large part of it is done by example. All these players, even 4th line guys are still the best of the best when they are at the nhl level. All alphas. The way to gain their respect is only by showing what you can do and how you go about it.

That's why there are hockey sayings like "go to war with" battle it out in the trenches" and the like to show that the guy next to you has your back in a fight (game) and will lay down their life (body) to get the win.

Mad Brills*

I'd assume we see prust cut today, and 2 more cuts.

Last day for waivers before wednseday clearing

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd assume we see prust cut today, and 2 more cuts.

Last day for waivers before wednseday clearing

Rosters have to be set by tomorrow, I assume 3pm EST. So today would be the last day to waive players if the goal is to send them down.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Feel for Laich - the guy was the face of the WSH franchise in a President Cup race and traded here as a cap dump; now is being demoted.

Amazing how 33 is now old in the NHL. Yikes. You have to be good by 23 and earn your money in 6 years basically.

I think these moves buy Lou some time to work with other teams to trade guys or decide which ones to loose.

I can't see Prust on the opening day 23 man roster but stranger things have happened I guess.

Babcock needed to clear the waters a bit in order to get some real practices with actual lines.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

He has 4.5 million reasons not to be upset, this is what can happen when you sign a contract for huge overpayment, gotta take the good with the bad, just ask Jeff Finger.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
OK. I saw his post different than you then. I thought he was saying that these guys sacrificed their body which is showing their heart and guts hence making them good leaders.

I think that was the very clear message from the shots. Otherwise would have shown the faces of Yzerman, Crosby, Toews, etc.
Very clear I thought.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I think that was the very clear message from the shots. Otherwise would have shown the faces of Yzerman, Crosby, Toews, etc.
Very clear I thought.

Froese may be picked up. He young and hard working and seems to be liked by his coaches at every level. I like the guy. He's no Matthews but he has value for a team that needs to be reminded about work ethic.

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
My guess is Laich does not go to the Marlies. He'll most likely stay demoted on paper, but will stick around the big club as a practice coach or something. That will give the Leafs the cap space it generates, but will not be deprived of his knowledge and attitude. In fact, if he can apprentice under Babcock, he might have a bright future as a coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad