Lafreniere vs Rossi

Who is the better player

• Total voters

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Am I projecting? He’s Newhook level, good but nothing impressive and ya’ll talk like he’s next in line for presidency.

He’s 22, playing his first NHL season and hasn’t even cracked 40 points. Give me a break
You are. Perhaps you haven't heard of Kaprizov, Boldy or Eriksson Ek since you only catch the Wild once per year. They are pretty good at hockey.

Rossi is 100% better than Newhook.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Alright from what I understand laf has not been getting pp 1 time also just recently started playing with panarin as in he had to play in a 7 wing role without any meaningful pp minutes and from what I saw from his rookie year he has steadily improved where he looked like a meh/bottom six disappointment for a first ovr too looking like a more formidable and dynamic force this year where as rossi is talented but has more opportunity and plays a more important position but is also his first NHL year and plays the more important position and looks like a line driver but I think the more polish Laff is getting will benefit him in the long run vs. Rossi I also think laff will end up peaking later rather than earlier and peak higher and both have russian superstars though you can say kap is having a down year or on the other hand say that AL'S presence helped panarin slight edge Laff for me.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Alright from what I understand laf has not been getting pp 1 time also just recently started playing with panarin as in he had to play in a 7 wing role without any meaningful pp minutes and from what I saw from his rookie year he has steadily improved where he looked like a meh/bottom six disappointment for a first ovr too looking like a more formidable and dynamic force this year where as rossi is talented but has more opportunity and plays a more important position but is also his first NHL year and plays the more important position and looks like a line driver but I think the more polish Laff is getting will benefit him in the long run vs. Rossi I also think laff will end up peaking later rather than earlier and peak higher and both have russian superstars though you can say kap is having a down year or on the other hand say that AL'S presence helped panarin slight edge Laff for me.
5v5 Lafreniere has ~ 948 minutes played with Panarin and ~ 165 minutes without him. Rossi has ~ 387 minutes with Kaprizov and ~ 612 minutes without him.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
So you're saying Laf is good enough to be on the top line of the current best team in the league.

Rossi isn't good enough to be on the top line of a non playoff team.

Got it.
He’s saying Rossi might not be as good as Erickson Ek. Isn’t that amazing? Derp

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
He’s saying Rossi might not be as good as Erickson Ek. Isn’t that amazing? Derp
And we're saying that Lafreniere has more even strength goals and points then Erickson Ek.

So... I think we can all agree...

If you're saying;
Rossi is not as good as Ericksson Ek

And it's factual that;
Lafreniere has more even strength points and goals then Ericksson Ek

Then yeah... Lafreniere is better than Rossi... and it's not even close.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Lafreniere had 16 goals and 23 assists in his third full season, though a year younger than Rossi. Rossi has 20 goals and 17 assists (so far) in his third season. Rossi had a very serious medical complication that pushed back his development.

Rossi plays center, Laf plays wing (different responsibilities, different slotting).

Rossi still has to master playing center and playing a defensively responsible game.

Laf is the better player in terms of points right now, but Rossi has the higher upside and plays at a premium position.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Lafreniere had 16 goals and 23 assists in his third full season, though a year younger than Rossi. Rossi has 20 goals and 17 assists (so far) in his third season. Rossi had a very serious medical complication that pushed back his development.
Lafreniere also had a serious complication that pushed back his development (getting drafted by NYR)

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
So you're saying Laf is good enough to be on the top line of the current best team in the league.

Rossi isn't good enough to be on the top line of a non playoff team.

Got it.
Man, that’s a nice twisted way of looking at what I said.

And we're saying that Lafreniere has more even strength goals and points then Erickson Ek.

So... I think we can all agree...

If you're saying;
Rossi is not as good as Ericksson Ek

And it's factual that;
Lafreniere has more even strength points and goals then Ericksson Ek

Then yeah... Lafreniere is better than Rossi... and it's not even close.
So you think Laf is better than Eriksson Ek then? Surely you would not think something that stupid.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Whatever you think of Laf, no one can deny that he has not lived up to the hype of being 1OA. Another example of a player being rushed into a league he wasn't ready for.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Prior to this season? 100% correct.

This season? He's been a stud.
Playing with a guy who has substantially more points than him, even if you take PP production away.

CF%
Lafreniere w Panarin: 58%
Lafreniere w/o Panarin: 43%

SF%
Lafreniere w Panarin: 55%
Lafreniere w/o Panarin: 40%

GF%

xGF%
Lafreniere w Panarin: 54%
Lafreniere w/o Panarin: 42%

SCF%
Lafreniere w Panarin: 57%
Lafreniere w/o Panarin: 50%

Sure, it’s totally Laf being a stud and nothing to do with playing next to Panarin.

• Haha
Reactions: rangersfansince08

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Rossi is just lagging a year behind Lafreniere. Not a surprise, since he also lost a year.

Not sure either guy is cut out to the best players on a line, now or in the future, but good on both from seemingly turning things around from tumultuous starts.

Reactions: Crow

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Playing with a guy who has substantially more points than him, even if you take PP production away.

CF%
Lafreniere w Panarin: 58%
Lafreniere w/o Panarin: 43%

SF%

GF%

xGF%
Lafreniere w Panarin: 54%
Lafreniere w/o Panarin: 42%

SCF%
Lafreniere w Panarin: 57%
Lafreniere w/o Panarin: 50%

Sure, it’s totally Laf being a stud and nothing to do with playing next to Panarin.
Please do show your work and show that this equates to tens of seconds per game of 5v5 time.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Ehh, you don't know that. Rossi's trajectory is pretty solidly upwards and he's already a pretty solidy defensive center. I'd just like to see him not be wasted with wingers like Zucc/Johansson. Give him some players that can actually maintain offensive pressure, not soft turnover prone wingers.

Meanwhile, the Rangers most common line (by a country mile) is Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere. That's Panarin with 107 points, Trocheck with 75 points, and Lafreniere with 52 points. Not hard to see why Laf is putting up his best numbers yet. He's very clearly the third best player on his line.

You're comparing two guys that play PP1 and one but that doesn't. He wouldn't touch Panarin's total but he would likely be close to Trocheck if he got PP1 time. You omitting that to drive a narrative is deceiving.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
You're comparing two guys that play PP1 and one but that doesn't. He wouldn't touch Panarin's total but he would likely be close to Trocheck if he got PP1 time. You omitting that to drive a narrative is deceiving.
Panarin has 69 (nice) even strength points. Good for 5th in the league. He’s ahead of Laf by 23 points…

Trocheck has much different responsibilities as a center than Laf does as a winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad