Rumor: Lafreniere forbidden to give French interview by Drury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
The Quebec media would not pass up the chance to make a huge spectacle out of this if true. The league and/or the NHLPA would supersede the team in an instant on such a decision. Non-story.

Reactions: bhamill

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I don’t believe it as stated, but if it did turn out to be true, Drury being inflexible and unadaptable is like the last thing that would surprise me.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
From what I've read over the years, Drury is a huge dick. This wouldn't surprise me, but the Rangers surely have a policy in place requiring the Rangers to approve interviews in advance of them doing any, so I'm sure these rejections happen all the time and it's certainly not a big deal.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
There might be some overarching MSG policy.

For example, the team requires media training, every interview with a Knick requires a team representative to be present and to record the interaction. Dolan's antagonism towards the NY Daily News, that they don't always get access to press conferences and the league even fined the Knicks 50k for going too far.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
The problem is there are a lot of historical and political reasons why French speakers in North America feel discriminated against, and it could turn into a huge headache for the Rangers and the league. Lundqvist gave a million interviews in Swedish when he was a Ranger. This is New York City; just hire a PR person who speaks French.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
If this is true, profs to Drury. The last thing want is the French language media, who are sensationalists, talk to a young player. They have a way of twisting things. Way too much risk.
At the risk of sounding xenophobic, I agree with this wholeheartedly. The Rangers and Alexis himself have nothing to gain and lots to lose by doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad