Waived: Lafontaine

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
I read a tweet that Lafontaine was told he would have final say in all hockey decisions, when he was hired.

Now the new gm comes in and trades Miller against PL's wishes.

How can you have a GM do his job when he doesn't have the final say?

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
How can you have a GM do his job when he doesn't have the final say?

On major deals almost all GMs need to get their owners to buy in or sign off. This fantasy that GMs have carte blanche needs to stop.

They report to the guy that writes the cheques and that person usual has an opinion about things and is consulted for sign off.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Pointed, do you agree that the Barclays lease puts pressure on Wang/Snow?

The lease has a stipulation that Wang could see his lease payments( millions of dollars) reduced, under certain conditions.

I don't understand how anyone can say they expect the same situation in Brooklyn, that we have had on LI. The same lack of accountibilty.

Heck, we are not even in Brooklyn and I think we are seeing the effects of the Brooklyn lease and the Barclays group influence: Newsday says Cappy's job is in jeopardy and that Wang felt the 2012-2013 playoff appearance was a year behind schedule.

HA! I'll believe this when I see it!

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
HA! I'll believe this when I see it!

Alright. So, with the Barclays lease about to pay Wang tens of millions each season, the Barclay's execs have no expectations or demands for their payments?

Wang/Snow will have no pressure or accountability for those millions ?
If the stipulation that causes Wang's payments to be reduced, goes into effect, Wang won't care?

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
I read something saying it could have to do with Patty wanting Nolan to be extended and Murray being unwilling to do so.
I mean this really is all speculation.
Not saying this is not what is going on in any way. But we most likely never know

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Wang & LaFontaine need to kiss & make up. they don't need to hire him, but he has to be part of the Islanders family again. i mean he shouldn't be banned from our pregame jumbotron videos and stuff like that. Especially considering next year is the last in Nassau & I'm sure they will do some special nights & bring back alumni. it would be a shame if one of the franchises best players wasn't there because of some hissy fit with the owner.

That is what i was thinking. I think there are going to be a lot of crazy stuff going on. Next season i would be willing to be there will be a bunch of Alumni nights. another 80 cup night perhaps etc

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Once you get on Wang's bleep list, you are on it for life.

Wang is a smart business man .
Not saying this will generate him any Cash. However if he truly though it would they would reconcile.

Reminds o me of Bret hart and Vince.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
I read a tweet that Lafontaine was told he would have final say in all hockey decisions, when he was hired.

Now the new gm comes in and trades Miller against PL's wishes.

Again we are speculating that is what went down. Really makes no sense to let him have the final say.
He might of had a Say in deals but final say is HIGHLY unlikely

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Pointed, do you agree that the Barclays lease puts pressure on Wang/Snow?

The lease has a stipulation that Wang could see his lease payments( millions of dollars) reduced, under certain conditions.

I don't understand how anyone can say they expect the same situation in Brooklyn, that we have had on LI. The same lack of accountibilty.

Heck, we are not even in Brooklyn and I think we are seeing the effects of the Brooklyn lease and the Barclays group influence: Newsday says Cappy's job is in jeopardy and that Wang felt the 2012-2013 playoff appearance was a year behind schedule.

What are the conditions that lower is Payments?

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
On major deals almost all GMs need to get their owners to buy in or sign off. This fantasy that GMs have carte blanche needs to stop.

They report to the guy that writes the cheques and that person usual has an opinion about things and is consulted for sign off.

I am not so sure here. While i agree they do not get Carte Blanche.
One should assume they are given a budget to work with. As long as they do not go over the numbers Imposed on them they most likely can do as they please.
The only time the owner should step in is when the owner gave him a cap of say 50M for the season. Now RARE opportunity comes up and they can sign a player that puts them over said number. Then i could see a owner having to step in.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Alright. So, with the Barclays lease about to pay Wang tens of millions each season, the Barclay's execs have no expectations or demands for their payments?

Wang/Snow will have no pressure or accountability for those millions ?
If the stipulation that causes Wang's payments to be reduced, goes into effect, Wang won't care?
Again what is the Stipulation you speak of ?

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
The problems began when Craig Patrick was brought in at the same time, then further complicated when Murray poo pooed the idea of removing the interim tag from Nolan, a Lafontaine favourite from the Knox days.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Last edited:

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
When the news was reported about the new lease and the stipulations about reduced payments under certain conditions, the press did not report what those conditions were,

Can we use common sense and ask what worries the Barclay's execs would have, wiith Wang as an owner?
Low payroll.
Lack of on ice success.
Low attendance.

http://islanderspointblank.com/excl...rena-deal-risk-isles-get-financial-certainty/

Fair enough.
But if he makes his payments do they have "real" Concerns ?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Fair enough.
But if he makes his payments do they have "real" Concerns ?

You misunderstand.

Wang is not paying Barclay's rent.
The Barclay's group is going to be paying Wang millions each season. In exchange, Barclays gets the isles ticket and merchandise revenue.

mikemustgo13

Nov 8, 2005
further proof that winning starts at the top. two dysfunctional organizations - Islanders and Buffalo, no surprise here

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I am not so sure here. While i agree they do not get Carte Blanche.
One should assume they are given a budget to work with. As long as they do not go over the numbers Imposed on them they most likely can do as they please.
The only time the owner should step in is when the owner gave him a cap of say 50M for the season. Now RARE opportunity comes up and they can sign a player that puts them over said number. Then i could see a owner having to step in.

Well, I'm a big Ravens fan and while Ozzie Newsome is in charge as the GM, it seems from most of the press I read in the Baltimore Sun that he goes and talks about all the major things with the owner to make sure there's buy in. And the Ravens are held up as one of the best run organizations in the NFL.

Every time I've heard Doug MacLean on Prime Time Sports talking about the job of a GM, he makes a lot of references to how often they consult with ownership on major deals to get OK and buy in.

I think it happens a lot more than you assume.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Did anyone else see Milbury just bad mouth Patty and Nolan. In my opinion totally classless.

yes I just saw him rip Nolan in between periods. The nicest thing that he said about Nolan was that he was not an x's and o's guy. it is obviously personal, did Nolan have anything to do with MM being fired by wang (I think it was Snow that fired Nolan in 2008)? i tried to google it and found nearly the same comments in 2010 from Milbury..

http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f16/milbury-rips-nolan-nbcsportsnet-191530/

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
yes I just saw him rip Nolan in between periods. The nicest thing that he said about Nolan was that he was not an x's and o's guy. it is obviously personal, did Nolan have anything to do with MM being fired by wang (I think it was Snow that fired Nolan in 2008)? i tried to google it and found nearly the same comments in 2010 from Milbury..

http://www.hockeyfights.com/forums/f16/milbury-rips-nolan-nbcsportsnet-191530/

I'm not aware of any previous bad blood between Milbury and Nolan but the link you provided shows that this wasn't something that just popped into Mike's mind.

Teddy was blackballed because he allegedly tried to get GM John Muckler fired in Buffalo and made the mistake of doing it publically at a party and was drunk at the time. Not sure if it's true or not but it apparently has haunted Teddy for years. Throw in the alleged affair with Hasek's wife and Mikes comments about a GM not being able to trust Nolan may not be based on any direct experience.

The hate toward Patty on the other hand sounded like it was coming directly from Charles' mouth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad