Post-Game Talk: Laffs 4- Jets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Our PK sucks because other teams’ shots actually hit the net. How many of our shots there just soared wide?

They also find ways to avoid clearing the puck when they have a chance to. I'm with you though, I'm not sure how many more Ehlers rushes with a slapper wide and back round the boards to the Jets zone, or Morrissey doing his do-see-do at the blue line to put the puck right into the meshing behind the net I can take.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Y’all need to go ahead and buy tickets to the Leafs game next year. That was painful to watch with all those Loser fans.
I guess one of the few pluses of having a season ticket base of 9500 is having huge markups on the abundant single game tickets for the biggest premium game of the regular season. Prices were similar to what you would see in the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs. A bit more than $550 for the best seats and no less than $400 for lower bowl seats. $200 to $250 appeared to be the cheapest seats in the upper deck.

I'm thinking the Jets made close to 2 times their 2023/24 gate revenue on this game.

Reactions: TheHead and GNP

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Anyone thinking this team can stay healthy for an extended playoffs is kidding themselves. We can’t even get through a first period against the buttery soft leaves without one of our 6 defensemen leaving for the game.

This team peaked in December and likely won’t match that level again.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I mean, how much evidence do you need that when ever scheifele goes down we can't score a goal
Since forever too.

I am 100% sure Chevy will be picking up a center for the playoff run but who knows which player that will be?
I think he makes a major move the week of the 18th. He should know which players are in play by then.

Reactions: TheHead

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
That might be how it is but doesn't mean it makes sense -
We were getting scoring up and down our lineup - and now we are not -
Is that because we lost our #1 C or could there be other factors.

I fairly easy to point out the obvious - we are not scoring with 55 out.
But it really doesn't make much sense when you dig a little deeper -
Our shooting is really bad, our finish around the net just as bad, and as you have pointed out already, we are getting chances.
Our depth scoring has dried up as well - and so has our ability to defend and manage chances against.
So what does 55 have to do with those missed opportunities by guys that are now not able to finish, but could before?

Jets are in a rut right now - and they are losing their grasp on what has made them successful this season - hard work, creating turnovers, and creating chances off those turnovers.
I think they get it back after the break (or at least I hope they do) but I don't blame our current game on the loss of one player - he's super important but he shouldn't be impacting the play of every player out there.
I mean it's pretty simple, scheifele being in the lineup allows players on our team to play in spots they can handle, scheifele out of the lineup means everyone has to play above their level and we don't have the players that can handle that considering we were already needing an upgrade at 2c as it was

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I don't think the PP will ever get fixed this year even with Scheifele back, they do the same things over and over and over again. It's quite astonishing how poor it is and whatever they have tried to do just flat out doesn't work.
I'm stumped - I have no idea why they can't sort it out - it's not really rocket science.
You have to assume that Bones has seen enough and they'll dig into it hard.
And before the throngs attach, yes, he should have already done that.

Reactions: hn777

leer2006

Jan 20, 2010
Transcona
I find it hard to believe that this deterioration of our play is because we don’t have 55. There is something else about this team in the second half of a season.
Perhaps we need Bones to leave again and let Arneil coach the bench. They honestly looked better with Arniel coaching. Bone’s continues to make the same bench decisions that cost us points.

AussieBomberJet

Dec 28, 2017
Northern Beaches, Queensland
So, is this the beginning of the descent back into mediocrity? Was the dominant team we bore witness to during the first half of the season just an illusion? Can this team figure things out to get back on top?

Watch this space.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Glad we get a break now, hopefully get the players that are injured back, and retool (more like jackhammer) the power play. Not a lot to like about this game especially with all the leaves in the crowd. I give this game two "Gerry Dee's" out of five...

gd1.gif
gd2.gif

The Prediction Contest for the game against the Pittsburgh Penguins has been posted and is ready for your guesses. Please take some time over the next week and a half to help @macmaroon with making some GDTs, I would really appreciate it... See you in Pittsburgh...

gd3.gif

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I'm stumped - I have no idea why they can't sort it out - it's not really rocket science.
You have to assume that Bones has seen enough and they'll dig into it hard.
And before the throngs attach, yes, he should have already done that.
Well they have 10 days to try to fix it, unless the coaches are going on vacation too, then we will see the same futility to start the second half.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Just because no one will admit the whole team was rubbish and ppl come in to cheerlead Ehlers more than any other player.
Yep, some people see the bad and ignore the good, some ignore bad and see the good. He's a polarizing player. For example I see a lot of people who shit on him last game for not being on Matthews for the overtime goal. I didn't see anybody praising him for hauling ass back to break up a 2 on 0 earlier in overtime. Maybe that's my own bias.

I'll take his underlying numbers over those of us who are looking for a specific thing.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
All the same signs are there. We are going to slide again.
I was told to give my head a shake for saying this same thing but they are awful on faceoffs , the powerplay and have a mid pk.
The Jets are a good wildcard playoff team at best and have not beat a playoff team since I cannot remember when !

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
While the long break is needed, it will still probably hurt the team because they’ll come out of the break rusty as shit as is usually the case. They’ll find away to piss away any games in hand advantage.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Where’s the tank thread?

disgusting game with all the unwashed Leaves fans stinking up the barn!

jets get screwed by the Leaves and their hometown Reff’s once again, kinda hard to take the NHL seriously, it’s on par with the WWE!

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I mean it's pretty simple, scheifele being in the lineup allows players on our team to play in spots they can handle, scheifele out of the lineup means everyone has to play above their level and we don't have the players that can handle that considering we were already needing an upgrade at 2c as it was
I'd like to believe it was that simple but I don't -

The third line, that plays pretty much the same roll they have always played, is doing nothing offensively - even though that is not their bread and butter, they were popping in a few earlier.
The second line is getting chances but can't finish - what does that have to do with Scheif or anyone for that matter - you called me out already for stating they had a bad 2nd period and then came back and stated they are getting their chances. IOW's, the guys that could score earlier, are not scoring now even though they are getting their chances.
The one line that is really being impacted hard with 55 out, is the first line - KC and Ehlers are MIA - but this team's success was based on a lot more than our top line - the team approach to how they played was what made them very good and very successful. That whole hive attitude has changed IMO.

The only way I could possibly support the theory that all of this is due to the loss of 55, is if they all feel the need to change their game (and give up on what worked) because he is out. Who knows, maybe that's what's happening - IDK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad