Post-Game Talk: Laffs 4- Jets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Many in my circle are Jets fans have multiple jerseys some even have Jets plates on their vehicles but when the Leafs come to town that all gets pushed aside. Suffice to say answered no calls or texts today as in the past it has lead to some real bad arguments. In the end most are long time friends and they will continue to be but the are and will always be Fake Jets fans.
Why? I don’t understand this at all. Is it some sort of performative thing for the big-time Hockey Night in Canada broadcast? “We’re not hicks like these other guys!!”? I’ve lived in the (extremely boring) centre of the universe for decades and have no more interest in the Leafs today than when I got here.

I could understand it 40 years ago when a lot of people had grown up with the old six-team league and couldn’t really bring themselves to treat other teams as truly genuine hockey teams, but the Jets have been around for 52 years now (a span of 52 years anyway).

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
Unless you have lots of senior friends or friends from Ontario I don't understand why so many are Leaf fans. I can see if they won the Stanley Cup or have gone to the finals a few times but its been 57 years since they won anything and there's 31 other teams so basically every region is covered why the fascination with a team that hasn't won anything.
Do they actually believe the Toronto media saying that the Leafs are winning the Cup at the start of every season?
Not only friends but family members, and yes they do. Many of us grew up on Hockey Night in Canada in the 70's where you pretty well saw the Leafs every Saturday night and while they became Jets 1.0 fans the Leafs were there first love.

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
i doubt he goes at the TDL. but i am in agreement with most of your post. the Jets around average defensively when he's on the ice relative to the rest of the team (4th worst CA/60, 6th at xGA/60 of the regular 12 fwds) and his offensive has been little to non-existent as of late (well 30+ games)

still think Vilardi is a v good addition and trade return along with MTLs 2nd. Iafallo (& kupari) were just meh/whatever pieces, esp. in a trade market where players of similar caphit were going for v little or nothing. you can get out of iafallo and kupari doesn't hurt you much since he barely makes anything on the cap though.

2nd your pt about appleton. he deserves some of the criticism, but the crickets have been out when it comes to iafallo.

Iafallo definitely has gotten a bit of a new player grace period. Starting to wear thin though...

He doesn't seem that great to me defensively and seems to kill a lot of plays. I wouldnt mind seeing him in Appleton's spot tbh just to see if he works better with Lowry.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Not sure how it's not a consideration when it's in majority of the post I am responding to
It wasn't a consideration for me because the point was off my radar - I don't see how anyone could point at Perfetti in our situation.
I just wanted to add a comment on KC - probably shouldn't have pushed off your post to make that point.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Gotta say the Jets looked pretty lifeless live.

A very very ruckus crowd which great but the Jets game plan fizzled. Dump and chase on the PP? Are we fecking for reals? Is this a 1997 NHL hockey PP game plan?

Fire the ST Brad whatever his name is today!

Helleboi had an off game as well.

I sure hope this is not a sign of things to come after the break?

1 out of 5 John McLanes

1706473187172.gif

must rebound soon after the break or this could snowball fat down hill.

Last edited:

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Is there a rule limiting the number of coaches a team can have? Or a salary cap limit on coaches?

At the risk of repeating what several guys have said here (admittedly, I skimmed quickly), why don't the Jets simply hire a coach who specializes in power plays? There must be guys available on the market who have had great success at drawing up power plays; we need one in the worst way.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Is there a rule limiting the number of coaches a team can have? Or a salary cap limit on coaches?

At the risk of repeating what several guys have said here (admittedly, I skimmed quickly), why don't the Jets simply hire a coach who specializes in power plays? There must be guys available on the market who have had great success at drawing up power plays; we need one in the worst way.
Hire the stick boy

Reactions: kanadalainen

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Not only friends but family members, and yes they do. Many of us grew up on Hockey Night in Canada in the 70's where you pretty well saw the Leafs every Saturday night and while they became Jets 1.0 fans the Leafs were there first love.
I remember when HNIC was on Wednesday as well.

Reactions: Stumbledore

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Why? I don’t understand this at all. Is it some sort of performative thing for the big-time Hockey Night in Canada broadcast? “We’re not hicks like these other guys!!”? I’ve lived in the (extremely boring) centre of the universe for decades and have no more interest in the Leafs today than when I got here.

I could understand it 40 years ago when a lot of people had grown up with the old six-team league and couldn’t really bring themselves to treat other teams as truly genuine hockey teams, but the Jets have been around for 52 years now (a span of 52 years anyway).
I think you are getting very close to the truth. Well said.
I’m much happier and less stressed about hockey when I avoid these type of threads. lol I’m not worried in the least bit about this team except our lack of D depth.

Yes indeed, (this thread is not for the faint of heart) - but honestly, for me the game itself, with requisit witnessing the All Time A-Hole Lummox score a deflection and then shove Ehlers around, plus the double bullshit penalty late in the third, plus the Home Game Leaf effect, plus + all else, was the most egregious bit of hockey I've seen in years.

Reactions: imec

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Brainwashing taken to the level of art form. Its a staple of the media-led. They seem to love it... and bears the stench of systemic indoctrination.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Regarding the PP. I’m almost certain lauer isn’t telling them to pass the puck around the perimeter and never shoot. That’s a players on the ice problem. Eerily similar to when Blake was running it. Slow slow movement and looking for the perfect pass. We also don’t really have that deadly 1 shot scorer on the team anymore. No more 1 T’s to laine. Laine was a pp cheat code. I’ll bet since he’s been gone our pp has gotten worse. So no more 1 shot scorer and no more guy setting him up on that perfect pass.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Scheifele our best shooter just refuses to shoot at times also when healthy. It’s a players on ice issue. Their mentality is ok wheels to laine but we don’t have wheels or laine. You need to take guys off the pp.

Start with guys who won’t shoot first.

kanadalainen

Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Regarding the PP. I’m almost certain lauer isn’t telling them to pass the puck around the perimeter and never shoot. That’s a players on the ice problem. Eerily similar to when Blake was running it. Slow slow movement and looking for the perfect pass. We also don’t really have that deadly 1 shot scorer on the team anymore. No more 1 T’s to laine. Laine was a pp cheat code. I’ll bet since he’s been gone our pp has gotten worse.
I respect this, but think about it in the other direction, and see if you come to the same conclusion. Eg, would *any* PP coach in the league be able to effect any change in performance, at all? Is the answer yes or no to that?

Reactions: Inanna

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I respect this, but think about it in the other direction, and see if you come to the same conclusion. Eg, would *any* PP coach in the league be able to effect any change in performance, at all? Is the answer yes or no to that?
No. It’s the players and their mentality. Their bad habits show up on the PP. we rarely shoot the puck. That’s a player problem.

Samberg scores on the blocker side so do we shoot there again? Nope. It’s a mentality thing with them.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Well that would be me. Tired of the sky is falling crowd posts after a mere two losses to the team I despise most. And the sea of Leaf jerseys cheering them on was also hard to watch. I'd be doubling the beer price for anyone in a Leaf jersey.

So was about to post a rebuttal on how good this team really is but I see that #gojetsgo already did a nice job of that in his post #201 quoting the well respected Garret. So I'll leave it at that and try to stay out of here after losses.
I see you and I share a fewthings in common, passionatefans,despise the leafs , and their fans and want this 3 game losing skid to be a blip.

I am not in.the sky is falling crowd but I have concerns about the pp,their lack of another good centre and I am scarred by last seasons nose dive. We gotta stick together and help each other after losses.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I’ve long thought that lots of these guys. Scheifele Connor Ehlers Wheels (when here) would rather go 1 for 6 but if that 1 Is highlight reel they are happy. They would rather score a highlight reel goal than a gritty one or fluke one or non highlight reel. It’s mentality.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

Jets were gone from what 15 20 years.

Lots of ppl grew up fans of other teams. It’s really not that hard to understand. I was young when they left. Like junior high stuff. I liked the red wings and still do but jets are my team but I went to a jets wings game last year and cheered for Winnipeg with my wings jersey on lol. I mean we are also close to Kenora.

Reactions: DRW204

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Last night seemed like the most Leaf friendly crowd since the Jets have come back, to me anyway.Part of it obviously is the fact the Leafs are only here once a year.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Jets were gone from what 15 20 years.

Lots of ppl grew up fans of other teams. It’s really not that hard to understand

To be perfectly honest I'd probably have the Jets and Leafs tied at the top for me if I hadn't been an STH for the Jets for a decade. Hard to throw out all those years being invested in a team.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Scheifele our best shooter just refuses to shoot at times also when healthy. It’s a players on ice issue. Their mentality is ok wheels to laine but we don’t have wheels or laine. You need to take guys off the pp.

Start with guys who won’t shoot first.
I'd say it is more a systems issue. We have 2 PPs and we have had 3 of our top 6 out for periods of time so there have been multiple combinations of players. Yet every PP looks exactly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese