Proposal: Laf to Montreal

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
To everyone saying the Rangers say no, did I misread the OP?

I thought I read the best 1st the Habs have next year with no protection on it? That's a wild ask and I like Lafreniere.
1. Nobody can predict the future. We don't know where the pick falls or what offseason moves Montreal makes. We don't know who steps up next season.
2. Rangers are in win-now mode. Lafreniere doesn't make a lot against the cap, so there's no real reason to trade him until that contract ends and he becomes a potential issue against the cap instead of a current benefit against the cap.
3. The line of Trocheck, Lafreniere, and Panarin are tied for most 5 on 5 goals as a unit. That line seems to work. Destroying it for players so far out just doesn't make sense.

It would be nice to get futures that are 3-4 years out and know they're going to great and help the organization, but in order to do that we have to sacrifice right now and the organization isn't doing that because we are contending. Saying no might come back to bite the organization in the ass but I can't see how they make this deal for futures right now.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
How many times do the Rangers have to say no before Montreal fans get it?
200w.gif

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yet again, a Laffy yhread is going into whose is bigger.

The French thing is utterly irrelevant. Any Rangers fan that think this has value, think again.

Laffy has broken out, great, don't care. It's about getting the most from our assets and in no way, shape or form Laffy is worth two first rounders and more.

We need to maximize the return value of those assets so let's move on to another player.

I rather pay Reinhart and keep our assets. No difference for us in terms of quality of player.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
And I also understand that Montreal fans always have an infatuation with French Canadian players but the rangers can’t afford to lose him, don’t want to trade him, and don’t need prospects.
Rs had recent excessive win now rentals w/zero to show long term and there is need to overcome that by adding futures.
On top of that are the Lias Andersson/Kravtsov debacles.
None of that is not in dispute.
What is open to honest debate is if any one particular deal to add youth is profitable enuf return, which obv varies from deal to deal.

1. Nobody can predict the future. We don't know where the pick falls or what offseason moves Montreal makes. We don't know who steps up next season.
2. Rangers are in win-now mode. Lafreniere doesn't make a lot against the cap, so there's no real reason to trade him until that contract ends and he becomes a potential issue against the cap instead of a current benefit against the cap.
3. The line of Trocheck, Lafreniere, and Panarin are tied for most 5 on 5 goals as a unit. That line seems to work. Destroying it for players so far out just doesn't make sense.

It would be nice to get futures that are 3-4 years out and know they're going to great and help the organization, but in order to do that we have to sacrifice right now and the organization isn't doing that because we are contending. Saying no might come back to bite the organization in the ass but I can't see how they make this deal for futures right now.
Yes and no.
We need to think smart and extend the window w/youth, which would have been easier done than said if we had not had bad drafting [Krav instead of Dobson, Andersson instead of anyone] and stupid win now rentals = fail.

But that said, while we are both correct here, i.e.,
-- want to enlarge the window, need to pay to acquire quality futures
and
-- we have very little to sell b'c we are contending now,

there is another scenario:
overpayment now which includes something useful now, + something useful down the road.

So if Guhle [helps now] + Rein [in 2-ish yrs when he gets here] ++
for
LaF ++

depending on the currency, in this instance it may be possible to have something where everybody winces, but everybody gets improvement.
win win

Of course, there are some who will only move serious assets if it is a swindle or a bargain in their favor.
I do not say deals have to be balanced or fair.
That is a secondary consideration after each side feels it got enough.
But you don't cut your nose to spite your face.
If you got enuf profit, you don't care what the other guy got.

• Haha
Reactions: Qwijibo

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

The French thing is utterly irrelevant. Any Rangers fan that think this has value, think again.

Laffy has broken out, great, don't care. It's about getting the most from our assets and in no way, shape or form Laffy is worth two first rounders and more.

We need to maximize the return value of those assets so let's move on to another player.

I rather pay Reinhart and keep our assets. No difference for us in terms of quality of player.
Habs like Rs are wealthy club and do not NEED $, but are also not stupid to turn down an opportunity, w/merch etc.;
more importantly, if LaF were available and wound up going to other Canada based city, that would not sit well w/Quebec demographic of the pop.

Tom is Good Friday
til later this w'e peeps

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

You do realize that Ranger fans aren't the ones starting these threads, right?

Reactions: rangersfansince08

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Habs like Rs are wealthy club and do not NEED $, but are also not stupid to turn down an opportunity, w/merch etc.;
more importantly, if LaF were available and wound up going to other Canada based city, that would not sit well w/Quebec demographic of the pop.

Tom is Good Friday
til later this w'e peeps
Nope. You are overstimating the French issue.

As for your return value being Guhle and Rein, the conversation ends instantly. Hughes would be no different.

The ONLY thing that is important to any GM is the return for his assets. Trading two foundational pieces for Laff is simply NEVER going to happen. Within a year or two each one will fetch a top 6 IF they were available.

Moving on...

You do realize that Ranger fans aren't the ones starting these threads, right?
It doesn't matter who started, it devolved into "mine is bigger".

Reactions: malcb33

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
No. Unprotected 1st rounder isn't happening.

Yes, the Rangers should rightfully reject any legit / realistic offer from Habs and Habs rightfully decline what Rangers want for him.

Sorry for the bother.

Reactions: dukeofjive
Feb 27, 2002
NYC

As for your return value being Guhle and Rein, the conversation ends instantly. Hughes would be no different.

The ONLY thing that is important to any GM is the return for his assets. Trading two foundational pieces for Laff is simply NEVER going to happen. Within a year or two each one will fetch a top 6 IF they were available.

Moving on...

It doesn't matter who started, it devolved into "mine is bigger".
Not sure how saying no to a proposal is also saying mine's bigger.

Reactions: pld459666

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Then maybe you can explain why the vast majority of Laf trade proposals are to Montreal, made by Montreal fans, going back to the days before we even knew which team would win the pick to draft him.

I'm really interested to see how you will explain that without bringing the fact that Laf is French Canadian into it.

Reactions: viceroy

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
50 points isn't a breakout season for a former 1oa pick
- an integral part to 1 of the top 3 lines currently in the NHL
- 22 years young
- 1st NYR. 1 OA pick in about 100 years

Trochek/fox/panarin/kreider/zibby and all on the 1 PP. they get the most time as a unit in the entire league on the PP.
All of them are hovering around a PPG or better.
If you replace zibby with laf on the PP he’d have 70-80 pts right now. That’s not a giant leap of faith….
- he’s a 2-way wing who finishes his checks and plays with a chippy attitude.
He’s only going to get better from here.

Not that it matters, but he had horrible puck luck for the 1st 20-25 games or so as well.

Take all of those factors into consideration and he’s had a hell of a year….
Him not being on 1PP and racking up pts passing/shooting from Fox and Panarin should also keep his next deal he signs lower. If there’s a silver lining, this is it.

Add to the fact that Drury and gorton don’t like each other.
I think it would take reinbacher +

Or something like Guhle + unprotected 1st for NYR to consider moving him….
Tbh, moving him at all just isn’t smart for NYR. He’s just scratching the surface of his potential.
And he’s doing it on a teams competing for prez trophy and cup.
Not a bottom feeder or non-playoff team.

All these factors matter.

Last edited:

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Then maybe you can explain why the vast majority of Laf trade proposals are to Montreal, made by Montreal fans, going back to the days before we even knew which team would win the pick to draft him.

I'm really interested to see how you will explain that without bringing the fact that Laf is French Canadian into it.
One of the biggest fan base on HF are Hab fans. You are free to ask them about their fetishes.

I was interested in Laf when he was underperforming, once his value rose because he is having an ok year, not interested anymore.

It never makes sense to trade for someone at top value...for assets that will be rising in value.

Asset Management 101

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Oh good another Laf to MTL thread.....

Let me give you a preview. Habs fans will pay less than NYR fans will want, then there will be page after page of arguing back and forth for it just to get locked again.

Pretty much the definition of all the Trade Rumors and Free Agents 'Proposal threads'.

Reactions: HabsAddict

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
50 points isn't a breakout season for a former 1oa pick
It really is though. He's gone from being a guy you want to healthy scratch most nights to an actual top 6 threat on the ice, most games. I get it, when looking at points it's nothing to sneeze at. And we can use the "if he had powerplay points, if he had a better shot and buried some of those chances, or if those other players buried the chances he created then Laf would have a lot more points. But that's just speculation and quite honestly pointless when evaluating Laf, because it's not about those points, it's about actually looking like a hockey player this year.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It is when you consider he gets spars time on the power play. I'll wait for the all to predictable "But he plays with Panarin" BS.

Yeah, if the guy got any PP time at all, he'd be close to a PPG player if not better at this point.

It really is though. He's gone from being a guy you want to healthy scratch most nights to an actual top 6 threat on the ice, most games. I get it, when looking at points it's nothing to sneeze at. And we can use the "if he had powerplay points, if he had a better shot and buried some of those chances, or if those other players buried the chances he created then Laf would have a lot more points. But that's just speculation and quite honestly pointless when evaluating Laf, because it's not about those points, it's about actually looking like a hockey player this year.

These folks just look at pure stats with zero context behind them. You are being too nice to give such a detailed response.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
I love it when posters make the bold declaration.....someone says you are wrong....than the original poster says.... prove it.

How about you prove your bold declaration. Apart from the obvious stats comparison....let's see what ya got!
The obvious stat comparison? You might wanna look up the stats pal haha. Suzuki gets loads of PP time, laff gets almost none. Laff has more even strength point fyi. Just comparing apples to apples. Hes a play driver. Hes noticeable 5v5.

I wouldnt take suzuki for laff. Laff D+4 year is far far far far better than suzuki D+4

• Haha
Reactions: HabsAddict

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
The obvious stat comparison? You might wanna look up the stats pal haha. Suzuki gets loads of PP time, laff gets almost none. Laff has more even strength point fyi. Just comparing apples to apples. Hes a play driver. Hes noticeable 5v5.

I wouldnt take suzuki for laff. Laff D+4 year is far far far far better than suzuki D+4
Okay...assuming that right now, kreider, panarin, zibs, trochek, fox and shesty are all better or more valuable players than Laf. Are you telling me that the Rangers 7 best players are all better than the Habs best player?

Okay 👍

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
and any

mtl fan started this thread.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Okay...assuming that right now, kreider, panarin, zibs, trochek, fox and shesty are all better or more valuable players than Laf. Are you telling me that the Rangers 7 best players are all better than the Habs best player?

Okay 👍
You can eliminate Zibanejad and Kreider from that list, unless you just mean production. Comparing a forward to D/G doesn't seem right either. So if you're asking if he's the 3rd best forward this year on the team, yes, he is. Panarin is Panarin - no point in even going there. So it comes down to Trocheck or Laf, and Trocheck is also having a great year.

To answer your question, I don't know if Trocheck/Laf have played better than any F position player on Montreal. I haven't watched every game from Montreal. But it's not really about 7 best players.

Last edited:

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
How many times do the Rangers have to say no before Montreal fans get it?

Sorry bud but some of our fans get fixated.

Oh but it does. Not to Habs management but to many Habs fans at large and on HFBoards. I betcha it mattered a bunch to the OP whether he admits it or not. Also it's not about being a local. Matheson gets no love from the fans despite being born in the Greater MTL region.

Reactions: Anardil and GAGLine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad