Proposal: Laf to Montreal

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I've tried to answer all your points that you have made. And agree....I would not move on from him if I was the Rangers. Which is why, I as a Habs fan, would want him. He is looking fantastic this year. My offer to some Habs fans is a massive overpay. To some Rangers fans its a massive underpay. It is an offer that has risk for both teams (that non conditional 2025 1st).

LaffyTaffy stated that Laf "would instantly be our best player" and is better than Suzuki.

Your argument above....and LaffyTaffy's statement are not exactly the same thing.

If you believe that Laf would instantly be our best player....you can also put down the pipe.
Again - you seem to be fixated on this "who has more value, Laf or Suzuki/Slaf" and not focused on what i've said - the rangers are competing right now. I've tried to explain why lafreniere is essential to their plan to compete right now. so how does a draft pick help them win right now?

Reactions: viceroy

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
one gets the feeling that Habs fans only start these threads so they can pearl clutch when Rangers fans ask for huge value. It's just an opportunity for them to publically voice their support for their own players. Which, great! I'm glad they think Suzuki is all world..

The Rangers, however, aren't trying to build a team. They're trying to win a Cup.

Lafreniere is on literally the most productive 5v5 line in the league as a 22 year old - the only top flight 5v5 line on the team. He'd have 20 more points by years end on a PP with either of Fox or Bread, let alone both. He brings edge and swagger and is beloved in the room. He even has a goofy moustache.

So why, if you, a Habs fan, are so educated on the Rangers cap situation moving forward, would you choose to ignore the fact that Lafreniere is an absolutely essential piece to the openness of the team's competitive window? Can you name 3 players not under long term contract who the Rangers might feel are more important than 13? I can't.

This team context can't be news to you. Nor can it be unreasonable to you that such a players value to the team is greater than in a vacuum - in whatever video-game-ass flummery this thread represents. Lafrenieres value to this team is greater than his potential value to any other team. Why would they move him for anything less than the moon?
great post and general strong agree
just pointing out that if Rs are smart, they recognize this is POSSIBLY an opportunity to extend that window.
That would require top $ payment in correct currency as I said.

Whether or not Habs go there is fair topic for discussion.
For both teams there is a need to look at value of immediate situation vs value of improving the big position.

Setting aside high end young W who is a foundation piece = position of need for Habs, it must be acknowledged truthfully that MON's Quebec base would = increased merchandising etc sales, and more importantly, would be pissed if HuGo had a chance to acquire and ignored, esp if such a price were paid by another Canada based team.

The currency required will be a wince, but end of the day, worth it for both clubs.

Ship = sailed.
Lafrenière is no longer available, and not anywhere near a rationalizable value anyways.
It didn't happen last summer, so it's not happening.

We can all go back to our busy lives until Bern drops his anticipated trilogy:
Laf + Z. Jones + Vesey + Goodrow + Trouba + 2027 6th
for
Everything everywhere all at once (except Gallagher)
you're demonstrating you know so little...

This ship has long sailed with regards to obtaining Laffy. It is going to cost an amount that us Habs fans will not like now.

I applaud the Rags management for their patience with regards to Laffy's development. It has paid off... Now can we talk about Kakko? ;)
Just as I said we should not sell short on LaF, so I continue to recommend we keep KK and instead add a good pivot to him + Cuylle, where we see chemistry already

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Let us remember that the pre draft hype on LaF is that he was the best non generational first round selection since MacKinnon.

Until the skating got resolved that looked crazy.
Now we see, he + Tro are why bread is crushing it 100 pts already

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Again - you seem to be fixated on this "who has more value, Laf or Suzuki/Slaf" and not focused on what i've said - the rangers are competing right now. I've tried to explain why lafreniere is essential to their plan to compete right now. so how does a draft pick help them win right now?
I'm not arguing with that. If I was the Rangers I would keep Laf as well. Let me back things up a bit for you.

LaffyTaffy argued that Laf would be our best player.

I told him to put down the pipe.

You then came in with your initial post. Having nothing to do with Laf being our best player.

I agree with your initial post, but you posted it in response to my put down the pipe comment, which was in response to the laughable assertion that Laf is better than Suzuki.

If you want to keep him. Go ahead. If you want to argue that it would take Suzuki or Slaf to get him, because you are competing now. Go ahead. Please don't agree however, that he would be our best player and he is better than Suzuki. That is downright non-cents.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
In no way shape or form does that package return only Laf. That package alone, or maybe with a medium add, gets a relative superstar with 1 year left on their current deal based on comparables.

Not trying to devalue Laf at all, but he isn't worth 2 firsts plus a young dman.

• Haha
Reactions: rangersfansince08

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
In no way shape or form does that package return only Laf. That package alone, or maybe with a medium add, gets a relative superstar with 1 year left on their current deal based on comparables.

Not trying to devalue Laf at all, but he isn't worth 2 firsts plus a young dman.
I am willing to gamble that Laf is on the cusp of stardom. Happens to be my comfort level and evaluation. I think the Rangers fans in here evaluate him similarly, hence their demand for the world.

I think the initial proposal strikes the right balance of a gamble for all teams. It is the max I would pay in this moment as a Habs fan. I can respect if it isn't enough for Rangers fans. Though that maybe the 2025 with no protection could entice a few to take it. But, alas, they are going for it now, and wouldn't move Laf for picks at this stage. Even if they have potential cap challenges in the future. Makes sense to me and a fair argument.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
To everyone saying the Rangers say no, did I misread the OP?

I thought I read the best 1st the Habs have next year with no protection on it? That's a wild ask and I like Lafreniere.
value wise you might be right. for a team trying to win the pick doesn't do much unless you trade it again for immediate help.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I love how everyone alway puts Lafreniere down as if he is some passenger.

1st - the rangers aren’t trading their first #1 draft pick.

2nd - he is half the reason Panarin is at 100 pts. He in no passenger on that line.

3rd - if he was on the power play he would most likely have at least 15 more points, which would put him at 62 pts in 72 games
Not sure Laf is being put down here, the offer is a lat 1st 2024 a very likely top 10 selection in 2025 and a young 5-6 defenseman with a bit of extra room.

Panarin was a 100 pts before playing a single game with Laf. That doesn't mean Lad is a passenger, but not sure it's an argument.

He's a top 6 guy right now and I don't think he'll ever live up to number 1 selection at this point. That's fine, but the offer is very generous and the OP probably values him for something more than he is.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
value wise you might be right. for a team trying to win the pick doesn't do much unless you trade it again for immediate help.
At best this might make sense for the Rangers as a summer deal. Now they want to compete in the playoffs, so they need Laf a lot more than picks. However, if they want to keep competing, going for potential ELC contributor might be a good options since they already have a lot of money tied up in Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, Fox, Trotchek, Goodrow,Trouba, Shesterkin.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Please don't agree however, that he would be our best player and he is better than Suzuki. That is downright non-cents.
I'm simply not engaging with this. Familiarize yourself with what a "straw man" is, as you're arguing against something I never said. I only quoted your "pipe" post because my point was about the lack of good faith in your OP.

It makes no sense for the rangers to trade lafreniere for draft picks, however much theoretical value they may have. This is clear to anyone, let alone someone who has familiarized themselves with NYR cap sheet.

The simplest answer for why this thread exists is that OP wants to bait NYR fans into saying shit like "he'd be the best player on the Habs" or "he's yours for Slaf+Hutson," to which all the Habs fans get to cluck loudly about how good their young talent is, with the requisite righteous indignation.

I'm honestly glad you think Suzuki Caufield Dach Slaf and Guhle are a dynasty in the making. Ironically, most HFNYR folks see the majority of the Rangers roster as losers whose contracts need to be shed post haste, despite their having the most successful season in the league so far.

There are, however, a few guys we pretty much all agree that are a part of the solution and should be a part of the core. The 22 year old who is becoming a 5v5 stud is pretty high among them.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
You're something else!
The simplest answer for why this thread exists is that OP wants to bait NYR fans into saying shit like "he'd be the best player on the Habs" or "he's yours for Slaf+Hutson," to which all the Habs fans get to cluck loudly about how good their young talent is, with the requisite righteous indignation.
Is the above why I started this thread? To bait NYR fans into saying stupid shit? Cool. Read all my posts will ya? I posted this thread because I want Laf. Nothing more, nothing less. I have been very complimentary and fair throughout the thread. I have admitted that I wouldn't trade him if I was the Rangers. I acknowledge it would take overpayment. I tried to find the right balance for value. Many of my fellow Habs posters think I overvalued him. Baiting my ass.
I'm honestly glad you think Suzuki Caufield Dach Slaf and Guhle are a dynasty in the making. Ironically, most HFNYR folks see the majority of the Rangers roster as losers whose contracts need to be shed post haste, despite their having the most successful season in the league so far.
Really smart are ya? Use the strawman argument on me, and then post this shit. When did I ever say we are a Dynasty with those players. We have pieces I like, sure. But far from a dynasty. Kind of why I am trying to use draft capital to add a young budding star like Laf.
There are, however, a few guys we pretty much all agree that are a part of the solution and should be a part of the core. The 22 year old who is becoming a 5v5 stud is pretty high among them.
I see nothing wrong with your statement, I would feel the same way.

I'm not sure if this is a product of miscommunication or what. But, I will be gladly done with this conversation as well.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
The pressure is indeed a fair point to consider

I hope you don't think my OP is putting him down. On the contrary, I see what you are seeing. I see opportunity with the Rangers and their cap situation. They could play around in countless other ways and move other parts to keep Laf, I get it.

But hey....this is HFboards, where spitball trades are always put out there. I think the package I offer is competitive and provides a win opportunity for both teams.

If I was the Rangers, I would ask for Reinbacher as Bern stated. Totally fair. Obviously I am trying to work something without our top defensive prospects.

And I also understand that Montreal fans always have an infatuation with French Canadian players but the rangers can’t afford to lose him, don’t want to trade him, and don’t need prospects.

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Not sure Laf is being put down here, the offer is a lat 1st 2024 a very likely top 10 selection in 2025 and a young 5-6 defenseman with a bit of extra room.

Panarin was a 100 pts before playing a single game with Laf. That doesn't mean Lad is a passenger, but not sure it's an argument.

He's a top 6 guy right now and I don't think he'll ever live up to number 1 selection at this point. That's fine, but the offer is very generous and the OP probably values him for something more than he is.

I call bs, OP sees a 21 year old former first overall pick who if given full power play time would be a point per game player. Those players do not get traded in the new salary cap nhl

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
And I also understand that Montreal fans always have an infatuation with French Canadian players but the rangers can’t afford to lose him, don’t want to trade him, and don’t need prospects.
In fairness, lots of teams would obsess over their hometown guys.

See Nostrils to Arizona
Pajama Boy to Toronto
Bedard to Vancouver

etc.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I call bs, OP sees a 21 year old former first overall pick who if given full power play time would be a point per game player. Those players do not get traded in the new salary cap nhl
I'm not putting him down. Rewind my posts to October, and I was convinced that Laf was busting. Rewind even further to the 2022 playoffs and I was hot and heavy for him. It has been an up and down roller coaster ride for Laf.

Currently I am high on him. High enough to offer a very good package that many Habs fans say no too. But, totally get Rangers not wanting anything less than a player that will help them now and an overpayment.

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad