Lady Gaga pirates materials while criticizing fans pirating her music lol

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
ladygagaandshutterstockfeattt-800x420.jpg

Lady Gaga Criticizes Music Pirates with Pirated Photos. Shutterstock Responds

In the article the original artist said it was fine and even provided a pic without the watermark but I thought it was really funny.

How prevalent is pirating nowadays with the amount of streaming services there are, I would think it would have dropped quite a bit but I admittedly have been out of this loop for a while now.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Who pirates music? Everyone streams.
Actually not everyone, I still buy physical CDs and/or vinyl and a fair number of people do.

Many musicians are arses when it comes to photographers, many have excessively crazy contracts the photogs have to sign if they want access. Some want complete controls of the photos pictures, like a musician giving up complete control of their song to a streaming service for example. I have a friend who does concert photography and a number of times he has had to send letters to groups to stop using his pictures on their social media. They not only take the pics but don't even give him credit for the picture. Some even have the guts to say he should be thankful they are giving him exposure.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Actually not everyone, I still buy physical CDs and/or vinyl and a fair number of people do.

Many musicians are arses when it comes to photographers, many have excessively crazy contracts the photogs have to sign if they want access. Some want complete controls of the photos pictures, like a musician giving up complete control of their song to a streaming service for example. I have a friend who does concert photography and a number of times he has had to send letters to groups to stop using his pictures on their social media. They not only take the pics but don't even give him credit for the picture. Some even have the guts to say he should be thankful they are giving him exposure.
I used to be the same way but I don't even own a cd player anymore. My car doesn't even have one lol. I just use Spotify Premium now. I do miss going to the store and searching through all the cds and what not but the convenience of streaming is so great.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park

Agreed, I’ve read many stories about music artists screwing over their photographers. Quite the hypocrisy. Garbage tried to release a coffee table book without paying their photographer, and that’s when I lost a lot of respect for artists in general.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
My understanding is a watermark is there to discourage people from using the image and pay for the license of the original. It also tells everyone that you decided to use copyrighted material without paying for it.
What is funny is the original photographer was totally fine with her using the image, which kind of renders the whole idea of anyone being indignant about her "stealing" a photo kind of moot.

At the end of the day she did nothing illegal or really immoral by grabbing a watermarked picture to post on twitter. And I am not sure why this is even a story. Lady Gaga got her message out, shutterstock used it as an opportunity to promote their brand, and the photographer got a kick out of it. Everyone wins in this situation.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I mean it's a picture the artist never intended to really make much money with. The guy is primarily a children's book author. That's why there really wasn't an issue with him. And it's not like this publicity is going to lead to a surge of people paying for that image.

The point was just that Lady Gaga was complaining about an artist not being paid and she used a picture without paying the artist. It's really not a big deal, just kind of ironic.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
What is funny is the original photographer was totally fine with her using the image, which kind of renders the whole idea of anyone being indignant about her "stealing" a photo kind of moot.

At the end of the day she did nothing illegal or really immoral by grabbing a watermarked picture to post on twitter. And I am not sure why this is even a story. Lady Gaga got her message out, shutterstock used it as an opportunity to promote their brand, and the photographer got a kick out of it. Everyone wins in this situation.

I mentioned that the original artist was ok with it in the OP but what happens if the artist is not ok with it? Just because she got away with it unscathed from the original artist doesn't mean what she did wasn't the very thing she herself was mad at with regards of people pirating her music.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
I mentioned that the original artist was ok with it in the OP but what happens if the artist is not ok with it? Just because she got away with it unscathed from the original artist doesn't mean what she did wasn't the very thing she herself was mad at with regards of people pirating her music.
I would ask you the same question. What if the artist doesn't like it? What about this case makes it a big deal or comparable to music pirating?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I would ask you the same question. What if the artist doesn't like it? What about this case makes it a big deal or comparable to music pirating?
My point is, it doesn't matter if the original artist likes it or not. She was doing the exact thing she was upset with. Pirating is pirating. Just because one is with music and the other is photo's doesn't change anything. Also, I never said it was a big deal. All I was saying is I thought it was rather funny that she was doing the same thing she was mad about.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
My point is, it doesn't matter if the original artist likes it or not. She was doing the exact thing she was upset with. Pirating is pirating. Just because one is with music and the other is photo's doesn't change anything. Also, I never said it was a big deal. All I was saying is I thought it was rather funny that she was doing the same thing she was mad about.
That isn't pirating.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I mean it's a picture the artist never intended to really make much money with. The guy is primarily a children's book author. That's why there really wasn't an issue with him. And it's not like this publicity is going to lead to a surge of people paying for that image.

The point was just that Lady Gaga was complaining about an artist not being paid and she used a picture without paying the artist. It's really not a big deal, just kind of ironic.

Donchathink?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
How is it "pirating"?
If you want to be perfectly technical of the word, I guess its not. But neither is the thing Lady Gaga was mad about. There would have to be a profit involved in order to use the word Pirate but thats not what this discussion is about and I think you know that. The discussion is about an artist (Lady Gaga) getting upset about people getting her work without paying for it only for her to do the same exact thing.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
If you want to be perfectly technical of the word, I guess its not. But neither is the thing Lady Gaga was mad about. There would have to be a profit involved in order to use the word Pirate but thats not what this discussion is about and I think you know that. The discussion is about an artist (Lady Gaga) getting upset about people getting her work without paying for it only for her to do the same exact thing.
I think we should be able to acknowledge the difference between "stealing" music to own and be entertained by is different than grabbing a picture on google for the sake of a post on Twitter.

People grab music/video clips from copywritten sources for Twitter/Reddit all the time. That isn't the issue being brought up by Gaga.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I think we should be able to acknowledge the difference between "stealing" music to own and be entertained by is different than grabbing a picture on google for the sake of a post on Twitter.

People grab music/video clips from copywritten sources for Twitter/Reddit all the time. That isn't the issue being brought up by Gaga.
Well the law disagrees with you. Bands/artists use photos for their twitter/instagram all the time without the permission of the photographer and many times it has to get taken down at the request of the photographer because they didn't give permission. Some instances it turns into a law suit.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Well the law disagrees with you. Bands/artists use photos for their twitter/instagram all the time without the permission of the photographer and many times it has to get taken down at the request of the photographer because they didn't give permission. Some instances it turns into a law suit.
Anything related to what we see here that I can look at?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad