Ladd (36% retained), Harrison, Fraser to CHI for Marko Dano, '16 1st, conditional 3rd

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Looks like Ladd doesn't want the responsibility of leading a team to victory and would rather be a foot soldier on a team where others can do the heavy lifting.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Looks like Ladd doesn't want the responsibility of leading a team to victory and would rather be a foot soldier on a team where others can do the heavy lifting.

He ends up in Anaheim, Montreal or Florida IMO

Whileee

May 29, 2010

In truth, he's not the sort of player that can thrive in a role of leading his team on the ice. He is a complementary player.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We're closer to being a real contender since trading Ladd, though. :naughty:

Jets certainly traded the right guy, and re-signed the right guy.

Funny how that works, eh. :laugh: And we'd be closer still if he signed back here - for the right deal.

It was odd watching the consensus here evolve through the season and funny to see Chevy apparently going through the same turn about as us. Clearly got it right in the end. :)

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Vancouver makes the most sense life style wise but the team is a mess,Anaheim has to many Ladd type players they don't need him, Montreal has to much heat for Ladds personality, Florida sounds like it could be the right fit.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
[mod] I am still happy we traded Ladd and did not sign him to a 6 year contract

Last edited by a moderator:

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

Nah, he probably understands that hockey is a team sport and he as just one player alone can never take a team to win and expects the management to do it's share to build a roster of 23 players that has a shot at winning.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
In truth, he's not the sort of player that can thrive in a role of leading his team on the ice. He is a complementary player.

Well other than being a legit top 10 left winger you mean? He was for much of his Winnipeg time. Yet for some reason it's his fault Chevy never gave him any help and employed a joke in the net? That falls on his "lack" of leadership?

That's kinda a ridiculous statement. Crosby alone couldn't take his team to cup either last few years. I guess he's not the type of player that can lead his team on the ice either? How about that Erik Karlsson, what a complementary player can't even lead his team to PLAYOFFS.

Ladd wants to be in a place that wants to win hockey games. That is not a bad thing. It's means he's a competitive guy who has been burned by the Jets failing to help him out. I don't blame him for leaving. He gave Jets lots of time and lots of great play. It's on Jets management for not holding up their end of the bargain.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Ladd fit here very well.
Lots of criticism for one of the better players the first 5 years.
Until one of the young ins can adequately replace his point production why would you not want him back at a reasonable cost ?
Seems like many want to down play or even minimize his contributions.
The dude can play hockey !
Don't get the hate at all .

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Well other than being a legit top 10 left winger you mean? He was for much of his Winnipeg time. Yet for some reason it's his fault Chevy never gave him any help and employed a joke in the net? That falls on his "lack" of leadership?

That's kinda a ridiculous statement. Crosby alone couldn't take his team to cup either last few years. I guess he's not the type of player that can lead his team on the ice either? How about that Erik Karlsson, what a complementary player can't even lead his team to PLAYOFFS.

Ladd wants to be in a place that wants to win hockey games. That is not a bad thing. It's means he's a competitive guy who has been burned by the Jets failing to help him out. I don't blame him for leaving. He gave Jets lots of time and lots of great play. It's on Jets management for not holding up their end of the bargain.

I really respect Ladd for his leadership and his professionalism. I just don't think he was high enough calibre to really lead a team on the ice to a top contender status. That's especially true looking forward to the next few years. Sorry, I never believed that the Jets were a goalie and some depth forwards away from a true contender, especially in the West.

Saying that TNSE doesn't want to win is just ludicrous. They've done what was needed, which is to stack assets in a younger core. Squeaking into the playoffs a couple more times would not have been the path to a true contender.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ladd fit here very well.
Lots of criticism for one of the better players the first 5 years.
Until one of the young ins can adequately replace his point production why would you not want him back at a reasonable cost ?
Seems like many want to down play or even minimize his contributions.
The dude can play hockey !
Don't get the hate at all .

Many times over.

His LW spot is getting a bit crowded though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Also, with Connor, Ehlers and Laine due for a contract extension out of their ELC within the next 3-4 years, there's really no way the Jets could fit a long-term deal for Ladd in their future salary structure. Even four more years of Frolik might have stretched it, though he might be easier to move if they had to.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
This trade really looks good in retrospect.

Ladd would have been worth Dano alone. The first has brought us so much summer joy.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Toronto or New York signs Ladd to a crazy deal.

Toronto's not going to have the money after signing Stamkos... :sarcasm:

Still, though...does Ladd fit into Toronto's plan? And does Toronto fit into Ladd's plan? Are they ready to turn it around and contend? Not for the next few years - unless they have a bunch of decent defensemen somewhere that they've been hiding.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Ladd makes sense in Florida, and they were rumoured to have interest at the deadline, until Chevy's ask was too steep for them.

Tallon as President vs GM likely doesn't change that, since their owner was quoted as really liking Ladd.

I think he ends up there, in a leadership role for a young team. That said, they may be a bit gun shy after the David Bolland fiasco.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Toronto or New York signs Ladd to a crazy deal.

Toronto's not going to have the money after signing Stamkos... :sarcasm:

Still, though...does Ladd fit into Toronto's plan? And does Toronto fit into Ladd's plan? Are they ready to turn it around and contend? Not for the next few years - unless they have a bunch of decent defensemen somewhere that they've been hiding.

I don't think Ladd or Stamkos fit into Toronto's plan (which is the smart play, in my opinion). Here's a quote from a recent interview from Babcock:

"Those big pieces that fans and media fantasize about are usually added when your team is ready, not when your team is growing and we're in the growing phase... we need to have another huge year in the development process, the selection process, the signing process in order to get where we want to go."

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think Ladd or Stamkos fit into Toronto's plan (which is the smart play, in my opinion). Here's a quote from a recent interview from Babcock:

"Those big pieces that fans and media fantasize about are usually added when your team is ready, not when your team is growing and we're in the growing phase... we need to have another huge year in the development process, the selection process, the signing process in order to get where we want to go."

Yup. Yup. And then they need a goaltender before they spend big money on FA stars.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Toronto needs a leader.

Do they have that player on their roster, or will they look for it outside their organization? They have a young team, they need strong veteran leadership to help the young players.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Yup. Yup. And then they need a goaltender before they spend big money on FA stars.

The pressure from their market will be huge. Their moves this season have made it possible they can be a player in the Stamkos sweepstakes if they want to be.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The pressure from their market will be huge. Their moves this season have made it possible they can be a player in the Stamkos sweepstakes if they want to be.

Yes but they will have to mortgage their future to do it. A rebuilding team needs cap flexibility. The Leafs have been straining to get out of cap hell. They finally have just a tiny bit of breathing room. They would be foolish IMO to jump right back into cap hell.

Matthews and Stamkos would jumpstart their rebuild but they would still need goaltending and defense. Like the Jets they will need to give all their young players a couple of years of experience before they are ready to contend. Then the ELCs will start to expire and they won't have the cap space to lock them up long term, or even short term.

I don't care how much $$$ the Leafs have to work with they have the same cap as every other team. They can't throw that around anymore than any other team can.

Edit: The fans and media in Toronto are always screaming to sign every star that comes along. That's not pressure though. That's just noise. Pressure is empty seats.

For 50 years Leafs management has been letting the noise run the team and what do they have to show for it? Now, for the first time they seem to be going about building a team the right way. Signing Stamkos would be going back to their old gameplan.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Yes but they will have to mortgage their future to do it. A rebuilding team needs cap flexibility. The Leafs have been straining to get out of cap hell. They finally have just a tiny bit of breathing room. They would be foolish IMO to jump right back into cap hell.

Matthews and Stamkos would jumpstart their rebuild but they would still need goaltending and defense. Like the Jets they will need to give all their young players a couple of years of experience before they are ready to contend. Then the ELCs will start to expire and they won't have the cap space to lock them up long term, or even short term.

I don't care how much $$$ the Leafs have to work with they have the same cap as every other team. They can't throw that around anymore than any other team can.

Edit: The fans and media in Toronto are always screaming to sign every star that comes along. That's not pressure though. That's just noise. Pressure is empty seats.

For 50 years Leafs management has been letting the noise run the team and what do they have to show for it? Now, for the first time they seem to be going about building a team the right way. Signing Stamkos would be going back to their old gameplan.

You're thinking too rationally.

The only question is will they resist the public pressure, or will they cave in? Nobody knows for sure

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad