Lack of local media frustrating

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
She's limited by what the AZ Republic, Gannet and the sports department editor lets her do. Hockey gets very little real estate in the Sports section if at all on some days.

That's not it. She printed not a hint about Ribiero. Not a hint about Doan's discontent last year. Surely she was aware of both issues. Sarah's writing ranks right up there with Five for Howling but with even more fluff.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
She's been at this for years and has not provided a single bit of information that could not have been gathered from box scores and team-issued press releases. She's not a journalist. She's a stenographer, and not a particularly good one.

She doesn't have to "ruffle feathers" to be a good journalist. She could do some digging and find out literally anything about stadium plans. She could write features that detail the off-ice character of some of the players, or analyze gameplay from a tactical or statistical perspective. She could build relationships with front office personnel that would afford her some inside info once in a while. Instead, she seems content to publish nothing beyond publicly available information.

Yeah. I just worry she'll read this. :)

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
This lack of marketing the team has to be intentional.
They hire Biznasty to be the spokesman and it looks like Chayka and Tochett are slowly backing towards the door as far as interviews.
I really don't expect Barroway to get on the radio and talk about his team..I don't think the other team presidents hit the media circuit.
Our team needs it and its incredible that they have left public realtions up to Biznasty.
Craig has a second job with the NHL now as the Coyotes beat reporter.
Sarah Mclellan does a good job describing what you saw at last nights game...
Dont count on any reporter HERE to dig for facts and protect the ticket buyer or potential ticket buyer.
I can't imagine that they don't think the fans notice.
Maybe a question for September 23rd..
Are you guys slowly backing out the door?

Paul will do well. He is a very likable man and media savvy.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
That's not it. She printed not a hint about Ribiero. Not a hint about Doan's discontent last year. Surely she was aware of both issues. Sarah's writing ranks right up there with Five for Howling but with even more fluff.

Really??

Remember not to long ago the AZRepublic didn't even send a reporter on the road with the team and we were left with the AP story.

In 2012, when the Coyotes were the top team in the Pacific making their WCF run some of us wrote to the chief editor of the sports department asking why with the team doing to well they still wouldn't send a reporter along despite the Coyotes even offering to take them on their charter.

His response was..... "the department was trying to save travel money so they could send people to the 2012 London Olympics". Yeah right.....

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
She's been at this for years and has not provided a single bit of information that could not have been gathered from box scores and team-issued press releases. She's not a journalist. She's a stenographer, and not a particularly good one.

She doesn't have to "ruffle feathers" to be a good journalist. She could do some digging and find out literally anything about stadium plans. She could write features that detail the off-ice character of some of the players, or analyze gameplay from a tactical or statistical perspective. She could build relationships with front office personnel that would afford her some inside info once in a while. Instead, she seems content to publish nothing beyond publicly available information.

I agree. Sarah is not good, at all.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I don't waste my time reading anything she writes, I just watch her on TV asking the players and coaches the dumbest questions. Good for a laugh.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
For me, here's the bottom line - Sarah's job sucks. She's getting underpaid to do probably two or three jobs at once. That's how it works in media these days, particularly with outlets still hanging on to print. So from that standpoint, I feel for her.

That said, in terms of the quality of reportage about the Coyotes, there are posters on HF who are better informed about what's going on simply through hearsay and inference than Sarah is. I don't agree that Five for Howling is more on the ball than she is, because they're not - they're a blog run by enthusiasts, one of the many on the fringe of SBNation's network. But I do think Sarah's coverage is largely superficial; whether that is because of her workload or because of her professional practices, I can't say.

Craig Morgan seems to press harder for information, but that's because his remuneration depends on it now that he's freelance. My biggest problem with Morgan's coverage is his unfettered advocacy for the organization. I like objectivity in my coverage and too often Morgan seems satisfied to toe the party line. Again, this may have more to do with his employment status and the realization that his access depends on being a "friendly voice" for Barroway et al.

The biggest issue is that there is nobody else in-market who we can turn to for news, because none of the media outlets here will give the hockey team the time of day unless they're on a huge win streak or in the playoffs. Okay, maybe there's John Gambodoro, but now that Doan has retired he's lost his insider source, and everyone else he knows wore the original kachinas.

Forget it, folks - it's Zonatown.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Maybe it's better we don't hear much this time around given the nonsense we got from the previous investors.

Lack of news coverage > what Dan Bickley says.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Yes she is still employed, and I sure hope she doesn't read these forums.

I wouldn't say she's the best by any means but damn you guys are harsh.
She's not terrible ... she's just lukewarm. She's the Freddy's Steakburger of journalism: present and filling but utterly forgettable.

The next time she asks a hard question of owner, GM or coach will be the first. Town Halls made GMDM squirm more than the beat writer.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
She's not terrible ... she's just lukewarm. She's the Freddy's Steakburger of journalism: present and filling but utterly forgettable.

The next time she asks a hard question of owner, GM or coach will be the first. Town Halls made GMDM squirm more than the beat writer.

This take is all sorts of wrong. Freddy's rules. That's a high end burger. Blows Five Guys out of the water. McLellan is below replacement level. I guarantee you could pluck someone better from the ASU J school tomorrow.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Watching Tippett be uncomfortable about "the magic ingredient" question about Holland's experience being a key for his (over-) usage was her only highlight. It wasn't even an interesting or difficult question. He was simply completely unused to having anyone question him or having to actually explain himself. His contempt and discomfort was visible.

I'm not sure she even knows what interesting questions would be. She seems to report just fluff.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
This take is all sorts of wrong. Freddy's rules. That's a high end burger. Blows Five Guys out of the water. McLellan is below replacement level. I guarantee you could pluck someone better from the ASU J school tomorrow.
Freddy's over five guys? Blasphemy! The Chuckbox rules over all burger joints though.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Talk to me when Five Guys starts actually seasoning their burgers. Bland, grey trash. Shockingly mediocre.

Freddy's is in a tier just below Shake Shack. Five Guys is in a tier with like, an airport Hardee's.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Talk to me when Five Guys starts actually seasoning their burgers. Bland, grey trash. Shockingly mediocre.

Freddy's is in a tier just below Shake Shack. Five Guys is in a tier with like, an airport Hardee's.

I may need to go eat a five guys burger in protest of these vicious assaults.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
There isn't that much interest in the Coyotes compared to the other teams in the valley. The team needs to start winning for that to change. Without demand for more stories, there aren't going to be more reporters. Having more critical reporters would be nice, but I got a feeling if Sarah started putting out a lot of critical pieces the team would get upset and would complain to get a new reporter to cover the team. She does her job in a safe manner, which is understandable with how hard it is to get good media jobs these days. The local CFL team got a longtime radio commentator removed after it was rumored that the coach/GM/VP took issue with him criticizing his performance. I think a similar thing could happen with the Coyotes if someone became overly critical, esp with the last coach/VP.

If I'm looking for critical reporting, I'm coming to HF :laugh:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Loved me some Habit Burger, until I started getting bones in the beef.

Smash Burger!

This is actually a better conversation than bashing Sarah, who barely knew the game when she started filling in for Jim G.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I do media production for a living. We should just start our own coverage. Who is a good writer? haha

If there was any money in sports media at all, I'd be all for it. I was a beat reporter, editor, and publisher for almost 20 years before the bottom fell out of the industry. There's just no margin left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad