Lack of local media frustrating

kbay

Apr 8, 2016
Goodyear, Arizona
I call out Jude LaCava from Fox10 on Twitter all the time - so much so that he has blocked me. When we beat the Washington Capitals two seasons ago on the last game, there was not a single word on the 10 p.m. sportscast. We have stopped our newspaper subscription when they had a full page spread going over the Cardinals' season, which had been over for a couple of months, instead of covering the last game of the season win over the Presidents Cup winning Capitals.

kbay

Apr 8, 2016
Goodyear, Arizona
If there was any money in sports media at all, I'd be all for it. I was a beat reporter, editor, and publisher for almost 20 years before the bottom fell out of the industry. There's just no margin left.

I worked in a sports department for seven years, laying out pages, editing and a little writing. I remember one day, we called it black Friday, they called 13 people into the conference room and told the their jobs were eliminated. We lost one from our department and there was one employee who had worked there for 32 years.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I worked in a sports department for seven years, laying out pages, editing and a little writing. I remember one day, we called it black Friday, they called 13 people into the conference room and told the their jobs were eliminated. We lost one from our department and there was one employee who had worked there for 32 years.

It's sadly a very common story. I personally saw what was coming before it happened and got out on my own, but so many of my friends/peers loved it too much to see the writing on the wall. Every round of layoffs/firings/reorganizations these days has someone I know affected - especially when ESPN and Fox Sports both held their "massacres"... those were hard days.

The ones who stay in do it for the passion of it, so even when I'm super critical of them, I have to give them credit for staying in at all costs. It's not something I was able to do because of my family commitments, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it every day.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Just an FYI - the team and the local coyotes media read this forum as do a lot of the other teams, national media, and NHL brass.

This lack of marketing the team has to be intentional.
They hire Biznasty to be the spokesman and it looks like Chayka and Tochett are slowly backing towards the door as far as interviews.
I really don't expect Barroway to get on the radio and talk about his team..I don't think the other team presidents hit the media circuit.
Our team needs it and its incredible that they have left public realtions up to Biznasty.
Craig has a second job with the NHL now as the Coyotes beat reporter.
Sarah Mclellan does a good job describing what you saw at last nights game...
Dont count on any reporter HERE to dig for facts and protect the ticket buyer or potential ticket buyer.
I can't imagine that they don't think the fans notice.
Maybe a question for September 23rd..
Are you guys slowly backing out the door?

Ain't happening.

Part of the reason is their PR department is stuck in the Stone Age when it comes to team coverage (used to cover the team with my own startup and grew it to over 500K unique visitors a month at its peak). They focus on getting national and Canadian coverage and attention than the local stuff. They still haven't figured out that local media attention gets fans in seats and satisfies the fans need for coverage. That's the approach I took with my site back then (the fans needs for more coverage and stories).

News/TV/Radio - Too much competition for so little time on the air and paper space.

Yes she is still employed, and I sure hope she doesn't read these forums.

I wouldn't say she's the best by any means but damn you guys are harsh.

The Arizona Republic always has the Coyotes beat reporters over the years cover another sport in the offseason. I'd always see Jim Gintonio in the Dbacks press box when I covered games there.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad