Lack of Hitting/Physical play in the NHL ?

maskingagent

Oct 18, 2016
Why is there more hitting during the playoffs and not regular season ?

I wanted to discuss the lack of hitting or “playing the body†in the NHL. I see the NHL as more beer league hockey than ever except for the playoffs where I actually see guys “taking the body†or “playing the man†vs the puck. I come from 70-80’s hockey where clutching and grabbing was the norm and there was a lot more physical checking and “playing the man†vs the puck.

Example: Auston Matthews in his first game vs OTT was allowed to dangle, and deek, and stick handle without any playing the body on him ? Is this is the NHL ? No one took him out ?? Am I missing something here ?

Example No. 2 - Mitch Marner being allowed to chip the puck on the boards and skate right by a defender ? Huh ? Really ? I saw John Anderson try that move so many times in the 80’s and he failed almost every time as the defender played him and not the puck.

These young guys are great, don’t get me wrong but they are playing in a “non physical†NHL of which I think allows them to excel. I always wonder what if Pavel Bure, Lemieux and Kariya et al, played in today’s NHL ? I’m sure the record books would be altered.

Does anyone know when this mindshift of “playing the puck†vs the “man†proliferated to the defenseman and defensive coaches ? I think there’s more hitting in OHL. I know we are in the times of no enforcers, no fighters, but I think its ridiculous a good clean hit nowadays prompts a fight ?

Thanks for reading.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Skilled players have done skill moves successfully since the dawn of hockey. Your two examples only show individual plays, it doesn't show trends.

The Marner situation came with him winning the puck back and attacking a D-man that was caught on his heels. You can't play the body on an elusive target if you get stuck standing still. It worked for him now, just as it would when a skilled player got the same kind of opportunity earlier on. And if Marner had tried that on a D-man that wasn't caught flat-footed, he would most likely have gotten rubbed out.

From what I can see, there's really no empirical support for your theory. I wouldn't be surprised though if the league has been increasingly influenced by European hockey over the years.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Skilled players have done skill moves successfully since the dawn of hockey. Your two examples only show individual plays, it doesn't show trends.

The Marner situation came with him winning the puck back and attacking a D-man that was caught on his heels. You can't play the body on an elusive target if you get stuck standing still. It worked for him now, just as it would when a skilled player got the same kind of opportunity earlier on. And if Marner had tried that on a D-man that wasn't caught flat-footed, he would most likely have gotten rubbed out.

From what I can see, there's really no empirical support for your theory. I wouldn't be surprised though if the league has been increasingly influenced by European hockey over the years.

This 100%. I'm sorry OP, but your post was painful to read.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Example: Auston Matthews in his first game vs OTT was allowed to dangle, and deek, and stick handle without any playing the body on him ? Is this is the NHL ? No one took him out ?? Am I missing something here ?

Matthews is too shifty and smart to recklessly go after and leave yourself out of the play.

Example No. 2 - Mitch Marner being allowed to chip the puck on the boards and skate right by a defender ? Huh ? Really ? I saw John Anderson try that move so many times in the 80’s and he failed almost every time as the defender played him and not the puck.

This is clutch and grab hockey and is a classic case of interference. It's called every time nowadays, and for good reason.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Less hitting during the regular season because its 82 games. You won't have a roster if your team played playoff hockey for 82 games.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why is there more hitting during the playoffs and not regular season ?

I wanted to discuss the lack of hitting or “playing the body†in the NHL. I see the NHL as more beer league hockey than ever except for the playoffs where I actually see guys “taking the body†or “playing the man†vs the puck. I come from 70-80’s hockey where clutching and grabbing was the norm and there was a lot more physical checking and “playing the man†vs the puck.

These young guys are great, don’t get me wrong but they are playing in a “non physical†NHL of which I think allows them to excel. I always wonder what if Pavel Bure, Lemieux and Kariya et al, played in today’s NHL ? I’m sure the record books would be altered.

Does anyone know when this mindshift of “playing the puck†vs the “man†proliferated to the defenseman and defensive coaches ? I think there’s more hitting in OHL. I know we are in the times of no enforcers, no fighters, but I think its ridiculous a good clean hit nowadays prompts a fight ?

Thanks for reading.

When I played in the 1980's we were told to play the puck and not the man because if you try to play the man then it leads to scoring chances and you looking like an idiot. And in today's NHL, playing the man when they don't have the puck is interference.

The game is also faster now, if you go for a hit and miss the guy, it is an odd man rush going against you. That might have been okay in the days of 6-4 hockey all year, but when 2 goals against tends to mean you are going to overtime or have lost the game, you can't let those odd man rushes go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad