Lack of center cepth in organization

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
How one begins a "dialogue" on Habs depth at center without even mentioning Galchenyuk is beyond ridiculous. This is not a serious discussion...

Didn't know you could have a center defenceman... I know Galchenyuk isn't one. He's part of our cepth though.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
There are a lot of posts that are unforgiving of what is basically a typo, which the interface presumably did not enable the poster to fix. Not too impressive, I must say. This reminds me of people who applaud a waiter dropping a plate in a restaurant. Pretty much that level of inanity.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
There are a lot of posts that are unforgiving of what is basically a typo, which the interface presumably did not enable the poster to fix. Not too impressive, I must say. This reminds me of people who applaud a waiter dropping a plate in a restaurant. Pretty much that level of inanity.

:handclap:

and...

:sarcasm:

habitue*

at center the problem is not the lack of depth, the problem is the lack of offensive talent.

Habs had tons of opportu ities to draft top offensive centers over the years.... Carter, Getzlaf, Giroux, O'Reilly, .... And they did not.

Galchenyuk is our best bet from the time being.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
I'd say we have a lot of depth, but we could use more height and width.

Habs had tons of opportu ities to draft top offensive centers over the years.... Carter, Getzlaf, Giroux, O'Reilly, .... And they did not.

Galchenyuk is our best bet from the time being.

Let's hope the Habs develop Galchenyuk at center, he's everything we need: bigger, taller and more offensive

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
FWIW, we have a ****** prospect depth pool at center position.

Centers

1. Michael Bournival Pro 7.0 C
2. Jacob de la Rose Europe 7.0 C
3. Joonas Nattinen Pro 7.0 D
4. Daniel Audette CHL 7.0 D
5. Gabriel Dumont Pro 6.5 C
6. Jeremy Gregoire CHL 6.5 D

Ugly...Bournival is even graduated so imagine...

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I can't fault Timmens or Bergy for the lack of center depth in the organization outside of the big club but I think that they will have to address this issue sooner rather than later. Some of it is their doing. They got rid of Leblanc but they haven't really replaced him.

Habs
Desharnais
Plekanec
Eller
Malholtra - 1 year contract

Dogs
Dumont - last year of contract
?
DeLa Rose - rookie
Dowell - 1 year contract

I heard that they want to try Hudon at center. I love the kid, great passer and he'll play in the NHL one day. But why do we always have to convert people because we can't draft properly for the position. They fixed the problem on D, now they have to fix the problem up front.

Well, they did draft Galchenyuk as a center. But talented centers tend to be gobbled up by the middle of the first round of most drafts. I assume the Habs will be drafting somewhere between 21st and 30th in 2015, so I don't expect to see McDavid in bleu blanc rouge.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
Well, they did draft Galchenyuk as a center. But talented centers tend to be gobbled up by the middle of the first round of most drafts. I assume the Habs will be drafting somewhere between 21st and 30th in 2015, so I don't expect to see McDavid in bleu blanc rouge.

It's possible to draft and develop a top 2 center later than first round, this will be the whole Habs organisation job to first find that player and then develop him. We need everybody, the scouts then the player development coaches in Hamilton, then the coaches in Mtl. We will see down the road how good are the people in place.

Just an example from the best team in the East, Boston, their top 2 center were drafted 45th and 63rd overall, they grew up in the organisation and Boston has been a contender for the last 3 or 4 years.

It's also possible for the Habs to find an offensive center via trade, this again will depend on how good the management group will do their job.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Actually...

This is the best CENTER depth since a long time.
(Galchenyuk with the STAR potential).

Plekanec
Galchenyuk (1st or 2nd CENTER line potential)
Eller (2nd line CENTER potential)
De La Rose (UPside similar to Eller?)
Hudon (center or winger?)
Desharnais

Last edited:

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
How does anybody think we have a lack of depth at centre (cepth)????

Stop...just stop...

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

Centers

True, but Galchenyuk, Eller and Bournival are still really young. We have lots of time in future drafts to bolster that. I'm glad we've been working on our wings instead because IMO that's a much more pressing need.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

Uncorrected typo in the subject, reference to "Timmens", american spelling of the word "centre", hasn't returned to the conversation since his OP.

That's what I call a "rockjngo", they deserve what they get.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Not sure how to reconcile the two. Fill me in... textually? In any event, you know about sarcasm being the lowest form of wit, right?

First, the handclapping smiley was to sort of mock your post by doing exactly what you said was innapropriate.

But then, I realized that the handclapping alone could be considered rude. So I went with the most recognized smiley for such circumstances when you want to make it clear that your are just joking.

As for it (sarcasm) being the lowest form of wit... well... this is the interwebs. Even if you could do otherwise, you have to go for the lowest common denominator. Even on a website like HFBoards, where the discussions are actually polite, interesting and generally civilized. Even with all of that, you still have to assume that your interlocutor, or might I say, your interkeyboarder is just potentially plain dumb or not paying attention and thus, might not get the joke your are trying to, sometimes akwardly, pull. And that is the root of the problem. How can you possibly reconcile wits and brains in fruitful discussions when there might be this gulf of incomprehension always looming? Going for the simplest solution with the sarcasm smiley is the easy, but maybe suboptimal solution. You can also go with a lengthier post that textually detail your train of thought more precisely (even though precision does not always ensure accuracy). So, obviously, it's never easy to choose between the two approaches and I, for one, got that decision wrong on many occasions...

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
First, the handclapping smiley was to sort of mock your post by doing exactly what you said was innapropriate.

But then, I realized that the handclapping alone could be considered rude. So I went with the most recognized smiley for such circumstances when you want to make it clear that your are just joking.

As for it (sarcasm) being the lowest form of wit... well... this is the interwebs. Even if you could do otherwise, you have to go for the lowest common denominator. Even on a website like HFBoards, where the discussions are actually polite, interesting and generally civilized. Even with all of that, you still have to assume that your interlocutor, or might I say, your interkeyboarder is just potentially plain dumb or not paying attention and thus, might not get the joke your are trying to, sometimes akwardly, pull. And that is the root of the problem. How can you possibly reconcile wits and brains in fruitful discussions when there might be this gulf of incomprehension always looming? Going for the simplest solution with the sarcasm smiley is the easy, but maybe suboptimal solution. You can also go with a lengthier post that textually detail your train of thought more precisely (even though precision does not always ensure accuracy). So, obviously, it's never easy to choose between the two approaches and I, for one, got that decision wrong on many occasions...

Wow, that's what those two icons meant. :) I too use the sarcasm smiley, but it's generally clear that the one to whom the comment is directed is being let in on the joke. A two-icon message is a little terse to ascertain that. I haven't been very good with symbolic alphabets since I left Japan and left behind the JapanMontrealExpat username (my peak was 4-500 Kanji, coinciding with my peak on Hfboards that triggered the creation of the category of "best import" http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=121302 ).

habitue*

Centers

Bournival has played LW since he turned pro
DeLaRose has played mostly on LW since he turned pro
Nattinen is back in Europe
Audette is small and 3-4 years from NHL
Dumont is AHL talent
Gregoire is a winger, nor a center andyears away from NHL

Where is your depth ?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
We are talking about cepth not depth. We also don't want to hear about scape goats. We want to talk about space goats.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad