Lace Bite

Phil Connors*

Anyone got any suggestions on how to get rid of it or reduce pain while skating? Two ways I know, stop skating(not an option) or those gel things that go around your ankle. Any other ways?

flyers10

Apr 12, 2011
AZ
You could be getting lace bite because your skates aren't deep enough for your foot. Try the pencil test to check depth. Or if you already know your foot is busting out currently then you need a deeper skate. If your skates are proper depth for your foot then a new tongue if yours is worn down could help or try the pads (Maltese Hockey,G-Form,Bunga)

krax

Jul 25, 2007
Many years ago there was no gel. I'd cut a piece of dense foam, cut a hole where it was supposed to cover the aching spot and put it between the skate tongue and my foot. That way you avoid pressure/rubbing where it hurts. Worst thing is adding additional foam, you'll just increase the pressure.

Rink Bum

Aug 12, 2010
Damn, I remember when I experienced lace bite - excruciating!

The weird thing is it just happened half way into my hockey season - don't know the reason at all. Missed three weeks. About three years ago, I looked for something to alleviate it, and I was originally looking at the bunga pads. However, I came across something called API or Ankle Protective Inserts.

http://www.apihockey.com/api.html

Anyways, a store was selling these things for cheap in my area, so I decided to go with them. Essentially they are foam pads covered with grippy material, and you insert between the tongue and your foot. From the size, I didn't think it would fit but it actually did. It did provide me some relief and I was able to play again.

I ended up losing one of the two, but have to say it worked decently.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I would recommend the Bunga Lace Bite Pad from Absolute Athletics.

I use what's called the Bunga Boot Bumper (combines the Bunga Lace Bite Pad and Bunga Achilles Heel Pad into one sleeve) and it's helped tremendously. I no longer experience any pain from lace bite or my Haglund's deformity.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
Another option is to get skates that are deep enough for your foot. Lace bite is caused many times because your instep depth(diagonal distance from your heel to the top of your foot above the arch) is too large for the skate your wearing.

My old Micron Mega 10-90's and Air 90's. Lace bite so bad I was almost in tears.

Graf G35-no lace bite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad