Recalled/Assigned: LaBarbera up / Simpson Down

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Meh... not too surprising, if you really think about. Team didn't think Simpson was ready and that means our backup has a more experienced backup.

LandofLincoln*

Good Simpson needs more time in Rockford. I'm not overly excited about LaBarbera, but we can probably make him look pretty good and extend his NHL career.

Chicago can be a place where journeyman goaltenders leave with inflated numbers and sign 2 year deals after leaving. If he does better than expected we could even sign him and flip him.

I think all Hawks fans like Rannta's play and personality. Stan made a decent move to pick up LaBarbera won't cost the Hawks much and probably stabilizes the goalie situation once Khabi is done by the end of January.

RFIP

I LOVE CRAWFORD!
Mar 6, 2011
Good Simpson needs more time in Rockford. I'm not overly excited about LaBarbera, but we can probably make him look pretty good and extend his NHL career.

Chicago can be a place where journeyman goaltenders leave with inflated numbers and sign 2 year deals after leaving. If he does better than expected we could even sign him and flip him.

I think all Hawks fans like Rannta's play and personality. Stan made a decent move to pick up LaBarbera won't cost the Hawks much and probably stabilizes the goalie situation once Khabi is done by the end of January.

But PLEASE tell me they don't send Raanta down when CC comes back?!?!

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
But PLEASE tell me they don't send Raanta down when CC comes back?!?!

Depends on Barbs contract status, the Hawks won't lose Raanta.

I think Barbs had to clear waivers to get to the Hawks so - apparently no one wants him, or has no room. (I haven't checked capgeek)

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I wouldn't be opposed to it. Raanta needs to play all the time, not once every 5 or 6 games.

Why, so Crawford can go down again? He will if you put him on that schedule. CC should play no more than 3 games in a row, maybe once or twice the rest of the schedule you can do 4, but there is no reason for it.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Why, so Crawford can go down again? He will if you put him on that schedule. CC should play no more than 3 games in a row, maybe once or twice the rest of the schedule you can do 4, but there is no reason for it.

It's probably a waste of breath, but I also don't want Q to take the team into the PO's with only 1 goalie in (NHL) game shape. That is a strategy that will bite a team eventually.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Labarbera is more capable than Khabilbulin. I feel he can play 15 games and do OK for us. Crawford will play most games, no matter who the back up is.

..and it's pretty funny that people are already writing Labarbera off when he hasn't even played a game behind this team. Kinda of like Emery a few years ago. I'll eat crow though, if Labarbera stinks up the joint.

NiceGuyDrP

Nov 15, 2013
So, what does this mean for back-to-back games? Dec 27/28 Hawks play the Avs and Blues b2b. Thinking Raanta will get both considering his recent success, or Labarbs could get a start (rough matchup for him with either of the two teams)?

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Raanta needs to stay up, the heck with him going to the minors so he can play more. Even if he only plays once every 5 games or so that position is critical to our success going forward. At the NhL level all we should care about now is what is best to help our team.

With the contract Crow signed the only thing Raanta will ever be here is our backup. I didnt know anything about LaBarbera so just had a look at his NHL stats. Not impressed to say the least.......

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
So, what does this mean for back-to-back games? Dec 27/28 Hawks play the Avs and Blues b2b. Thinking Raanta will get both considering his recent success, or Labarbs could get a start (rough matchup for him with either of the two teams)?

Crow has started skating again. The Hawks could be aiming to have Crow back by then. The Blues game would be 19 days. The following Kings game on the 30th would be exactly 3 weeks.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Labarbera is more capable than Khabilbulin. I feel he can play 15 games and do OK for us. Crawford will play most games, no matter who the back up is.

..and it's pretty funny that people are already writing Labarbera off when he hasn't even played a game behind this team. Kinda of like Emery a few years ago. I'll eat crow though, if Labarbera stinks up the joint.

Yeah, I'm not doubting any goalie on this team, just saying we know Raanta is better.

NiceGuyDrP

Nov 15, 2013
Crow has started skating again. The Hawks could be aiming to have Crow back by then. The Blues game would be 19 days. The following Kings game on the 30th would be exactly 3 weeks.

What parallel universe do you live in? Today's the 20th which makes the Avs games 7 days away (Dec 27th) and the Blues game 8 days away (Dec 28th) and the Kings game 10 days away (Dec 10th). That's 3 games in 4 days, which would be a hard task for Raanta to start for all, assuming that Crawford isn't back in action yet (1-2 weeks away)?

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
What parallel universe do you live in? Today's the 20th which makes the Avs games 7 days away (Dec 27th) and the Blues game 8 days away (Dec 28th) and the Kings game 10 days away (Dec 10th). That's 3 games in 4 days, which would be a hard task for Raanta to start for all, assuming that Crawford isn't back in action yet (1-2 weeks away)?

Ummm what?

I was saying it would be 19 days from Crow's injury for the Blues game and 3 weeks from Crow's injury to the Kings game, which could mean Crow could be back playing since his injury was said to be 2-to-3 weeks and he is skating again.

If that was not clear from my earlier post you could have said so without questioning my time-continuum integrity, "NiceGuy." :laugh:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Simpson is better served getting lots of starts in the AHL. LaBarbera may even get a game in the NHL... not sure if I like that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad