Trade: [LA/TOR] Russell Martin for Ronny Brito and Andrew Sopko

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Martin was barely playing last year so this is fine, more room for Jansen and McGuire to progress.

Still have Maile for spot starts as well.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Catcher is such an important position where it doesn't matter (though it would be nice) if you could hit.

Martin's still solid defensively and one of the better pitch framers in the league. His best days are behind him sure, but he still brings value to the Dodgers. Especially at 4 million.

Best of luck, Russ. Glad you got the chance to play at home.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
The Blue Jays did right by Martin and it opens up more playing time for guys like McGuire and Jansen. Martin still catches well and gets on base, there really isn’t much else you can expect for a catcher these days, especially when they’re only paying him $3.6M.

Martin was a huge part of the Blue Jays playoff teams, I hope he gets a ring with the Dodgers.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
I honestly thought Martin was out of league

Look at his recent years he certainly looks done

Catchers with a higher OBP than Martin in 2017-2018 with at least 700 PAs:

Buster Posey
Francisco Cervelli
Robinson Chirinos
Willson Contreras

Add that to the fact he's still above average defensively at the C position. Not as good as before, sure, but he's still far from done.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
While he has taken a steep decline, as expected, sucks to see him go. He was a good guy.

Good luck Martin.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I honestly thought Martin was out of league

Look at his recent years he certainly looks done
Guess you didn't look at his OBP. He's definitely gone downhill but he was still better at getting on base than most of the Blue Jays last year. His bat is gone but gets a ton of walks and is good defensively. Still a solid backup catcher imo. Jays don't need him tho so I'm glad they made this move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad